mjw69

Big Megger

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hi all,
Looking to change to mk4 diesel.
Which is best engine size/ model to go for??
At present have 52 plate 2.0 tdci 130, fantastic power and reliabilty considering mileage upto 180k.
I want next one to equally reliable but would like slightly better economy, get average 45mpg now.
Was in a taxi last night which had the 1.8 diesel and reckoned that was best??
Looking for a 3 yr old one.
Anyone any advice??

#2 captpringle

captpringle

Little Megger

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

Difficult question I owned 54 plate 2.2. Now have 08 2.2 which is almost 10mpg poorer and much less reliable.(stutters, back widscreen replaced,front sensors erratic, intruments failed, battery went flat overnight etc) Also eats front tyres. Car is quieter and smoother but not sure it is worth it.
2008 mondeo titanium x 2.2 tdci, sports pack,dvd sat nav and xenon lights.

#3 ChuckH

ChuckH

Big Megger

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

Most go for the 2.0. Avoid the 1.8s Not very good and impossible to sell later on !
Now where did I leave those sodding keys !......... 2009 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Estate in Silver With roof rails..

#4 dexy

dexy

Driving Towards The Daylight

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus Zetec S

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

I must say captpringle seems to be quite unlucky with that list of problems, my 57 reg is excellent and reliable.
I find my 2.0Tdci 140 is more economical than stated for your 2.0Tdci 130. On a recent drive from Aberdeen to Newcastle and back I got up to 57.1 mpg. My average mpg is currently on 45.6 mpg.
Obviously the TitX Sport is the best for kit and comfort, but anything from the Zetec upwards is a good car with good levels of kit. I find the Edge just a bit too basic though it does have cruise as standard.
2012 Focus Zetec S 2.0 163 TDCI Powershift. Frozen White
City Pack.
Front/Rear Park Sensors.
Sat Nav.
Privacy Glass.
Front/Rear Scuff Plates.
Door Edge Protectors.

#5 darlofan

darlofan

Little Megger

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

Depends whats more important to you speed or mpg.
I have 1.8 zetec 57plate. MPG averages 56 with not much motorways as i live in N Wales. Its not the fastest i've driven and only problem i've had is air con and dripping boot(fixed with additional strips).

#6 alucard

alucard

Big Megger

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hi i have the 1.8 because i had so much injector problems in my mk3 with the 2.0tdci engine.

The 1.8 is a very well proven unit and has been around a very very long time and it is virtually unburstable, it standard form in the mk4 it does lack the low down torque and smoothness of the 2.0 but this can be cured by having the engine remapped, i have had this done on mine and the results are amazing the torque is very much improved and my fuel consumption has come down from a average 44.5 to a very good 50.4 (BRIM TO BRIM TANK NOT CONVERSE) so i am pleased with this.

Also the 1.8 does not have a DPF fitted so this is one expensive item you do not have to worry about going wrong so all in all i think the 1.8 is the better option but it is all down to personal preference which one you choose hope this helps!. :L
2008 TITX 1.8 tdci mk4 with 18" alloys/adaptive cruise control/enhanced IVD/hill launch/keyless start/ heated sports seats/ and front and rear park assist.

CELTIC TUNING remapped July 2010.

Always try to be the person that your pet thinks you are.

#7 ChuckH

ChuckH

Big Megger

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:16 PM

If Ypou have never driven the 2.0 But have driven only the 1.8 then it likely is just fine and dandy ?
Drive both though and the 2.0 would be the one !!! No less MPG And a far superior drive ! The 1.8 as said above is a very difficult car to sell on. OK Thats a while away and may not seem important now. But it surely must be factored into the price You pay today if the 1.8 is Your choise !! Cos come trade in time You will be stuffed !!!
Of course the Dealers will tell You a different story if they are trying to sell You a 1.8 off the forecourt. But try trading one in !!
The 2.2 is probably the best option for power and tourque ( I have this engine in My Transit van) But there are not so many to choose from ??
The 2.0 is the most common and easy to find and probably the most sensible.
Im not trying to offend 1.8 owners But the 1.8s are woefull in comparison !!
You pays Your money and takes Your chance ............
Now where did I leave those sodding keys !......... 2009 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Estate in Silver With roof rails..

#8 darlofan

darlofan

Little Megger

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

If Ypou have never driven the 2.0 But have driven only the 1.8 then it likely is just fine and dandy ?
Drive both though and the 2.0 would be the one !!! No less MPG And a far superior drive ! The 1.8 as said above is a very difficult car to sell on. OK Thats a while away and may not seem important now. But it surely must be factored into the price You pay today if the 1.8 is Your choise !! Cos come trade in time You will be stuffed !!!
Of course the Dealers will tell You a different story if they are trying to sell You a 1.8 off the forecourt. But try trading one in !!
The 2.2 is probably the best option for power and tourque ( I have this engine in My Transit van) But there are not so many to choose from ??

i missed out on two 1.8's through dithering around whilst looking for a new one. Again depends on how long he is planning on keeping the car and whether he'll trade it in or sell privately.

#9 ChuckH

ChuckH

Big Megger

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

i missed out on two 1.8's through dithering around whilst looking for a new one. Again depends on how long he is planning on keeping the car and whether he'll trade it in or sell privately.

The 1.8 is very difficult to either sell privately or to trade in.
Its realy not a bad car or a problem so long as You pay very low when buying
How long Matey is keeping the car is not realy relative !
The 2.0 out sells the 2.2 by 9 to 1 And the 1.8 by 7 to 1 (Ford figures) Surely that tells a story ?
Either way simply driving a 1.8 and a 2.0 back to back will make the decision easy ...................

#10 alucard

alucard

Big Megger

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

ChuckH i agree with you on your point about the 1.8 engine as it comes from the factory,yes it is not as good as the 2.0, but if it has been remapped (as mine has been) then it becomes a completely different beast!.

When i was looking for a mk4 to replace a mk3 i drove both the 2.0 and the 1.8 yes the 2.0 was better than the 1.8 in torque and power delivery but i went for the 1.8 as i had had nothing but trouble from the 2.0 in the mk3 with the fuel system, all was fine until i reached the 40000 mile mk and then i had to have the injectors replaced/ fuel flow valve replaced/ and it still did not solve the problem! the final straw came when i was told the injector pump needed to be replaced at a cost of £1200.00 so i sold the car at a loss before i went MAD, now i know that my case was an extreme one but if you read the mk3 section on fuel components there are a lot of members who have had injector problems with the 2.0tdci and i did not want to go down that road again with the mk4 so that is why i went for the 1.8 that i have now, and so far engine wise i have had no problems with it at all and as i said earlier in this post with a remapped engine the 1.8 is a very nice car to drive and and performance wise it is better than my old unmapped mk3 2.0 tdci, so as before you pays your money and you takes your choice or chance! and my choice would always be my trusty old designed 1.8 engine. :L

2008 TITX 1.8 tdci mk4 with 18" alloys/adaptive cruise control/enhanced IVD/hill launch/keyless start/ heated sports seats/ and front and rear park assist.

CELTIC TUNING remapped July 2010.

Always try to be the person that your pet thinks you are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users