#1 Docj0nes

Docj0nes

Little Megger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

Just went to clean out my car this evening and found the front and rear footwell on the passenger side is soaked.

Personally gutted, after getting rid of my MG for having the same, recurring, problem. I really don't want to spend more countless days trying to track the problem down! Talk about being deflated :(

I've been reading that it's a common problem if you have had a recent service, which I have. The pollen filter is a very common place for the leakage but then I came across someone saying this was a mk2 problem. Should this still be my first port of call?

Also, another common area is the door seal. I haven't checked this yet but it would be odd to find both the rear and front door seals going at the same time?

I'm also thinking it could be coming from the boot. I had a very minor collision a couple of months back, someone hitting the rear of my car so possibly something here? Although this is a long shot, I was hit on the drivers side mostly and the damage was bumper and the metal bar that sits behind the bumper acting as the first line of protection from collisions (so I'm told).

Any suggestions on the most common areas that could affect both the front and rear footwells are very welcome.

Cheers,
MJ

#2 vrchris

vrchris

vrchris

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:04 AM

I had a peugeot with same problem in BOTH footwells and we tracked it down to a dodgy seal in the sunroof which was leaking water and collecting near interior light fitting then trickling down the window pillars into the footwells.

Could be a similar problem in mondy or maybe a windscreen seal if you don't have a sunroof
if in doubt, flat out!
<a href='http://talkford.com/index.php?/garage/vehicle/20-ford-mondeo-tdci-130-ghia-x/'>Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 Ghia X (2002)</a>

#3 Docj0nes

Docj0nes

Little Megger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply. My previous had an issue with the sun roof seal then the following year a problem with the windscreen seal. Both times did not affect the rear footwell.
My mondeo doesn't have a sun roof so first check will be going to the windscreen, the the door seals. I'm praying this will be a quick turnover!

#4 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 4,031 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 530D & ST220
  • Name:James

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:26 AM

It's the doors mate. Remove the door cards and you'll find the foam is soaked. There's plenty of threads about this, I removed the stock material and replaced it with thick plastic sheeting and some CT1 to seal it with. Not a problem anymore.

Really the problem is only happening around the electric window motors as rain hits these and it then runs out of the inner door.

Not really a big issue, hard bit is drying the car out. Despite the Mondeo having zero insulation on the floor pan other than the carpet, it still manages to hold plenty of water. I had the dehumidifier on for a week before it stopped producing bottles of water!

A word of warning- if you have leather seats make sure you apply cream while you're running the dehumidifier as it'll dry the leather out if left untreated.

I could rebuild a Mondeo from the ground up with my eyes closed... that's thanks to owning a TDCI.

#5 ekaj666

ekaj666

Megger

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

Ive got exactly the same problem as you mate. Both passenger front and back footwells soaked.

Mine is the windscreen seal on the passengers side. Needs resealing but prob cheaper to put a new windscreen in i think?
Mondeo MK3 52 Plate Panther Black

Mods done so far:
Black smoked side repeaters with orange bulbs, Black eyes, Black rear lexus lights

Mods to do:
Complete full blue LED conversion, Front chrome grill

#6 Docj0nes

Docj0nes

Little Megger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for your responses. I've read a tip somewhere on the ST forum stating I can test the doors by peeling back the window seal and running water down it while the door is open. Then check where the water is running out. I'll have to do this. I hope it's not the windscreen seal!
I had a look last night and found that the rubber seal that fits over the windscreen was slightly out of line and had debris in the groove. I cleared the debris out and refitted but I don't expect this rubber to be the only prevention tactic used to stop water entering the car? What should I be looking for with the windscreen seal exactly? Should I try to lift the windscreen and see if the seal is broken, I'm assuming the seal is made on the inside of the glass so should be seen if there is movement?
Hope you follow what I'm trying to say.
Thanks again.

#7 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 4,031 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:29 PM

Windscreens on the MK3 are bonded, it's VERY unlikey that seal will fail as it's pretty bloody strong! If it is failing then its been doing it since it was fitted and would require removal I would have thought as it would be very hard to trace where water is getting through.

I could rebuild a Mondeo from the ground up with my eyes closed... that's thanks to owning a TDCI.

#8 Docj0nes

Docj0nes

Little Megger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

Hi again.
I've tested the water leaks through the assigned holes for the inside of the doors and cannot see no obvious place where there would be leage. The water seems to filter down through the holes as expected.
To review the windscreen possibility - the rubber seal that sit at the end on the windscreen, just behind the plastic cover above the bonnet. This has an obvious gap between the windscreen and the rubber. Should I be concerned about this? It doesn't seem sufficient on its own to expel water from the windscreen getting inside the car. I should really upload a couple of pics to explain. I'll do that tonight.
In the mean time is there a way to remove the dampener from the front passenger footwell without cutting it out? I also read to remove the glove box u just give it a hard pull when open. Can this be confirmed before I break something :)

Thanks for your continued support.

#9 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 4,031 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

The glovebox design is a bit daft IMO, you will feel like you're going to break it when you remove it. the dampener is easily released form the glovebox it's on the top back left hand corner of the box itself and unclips. Once done open the glovebox fully then pull it from the bottom to pop it out of the bottom mounting cups.

#10 Docj0nes

Docj0nes

Little Megger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for all your reply's.
The problem ended up being the seal on the front windscreen was not attached correctly... in places completely off!.
Removing this, cleaning it down and replacing seems to have fixed it.

I think it was caused when the pollen filter was changed. Tilting up the plastic above the pollen filter must have moved the rubber seal off allowing the water to run into my car.

A quick fix but a pain to dry out. Using old newspapers to soak it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users