Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Sat Nav version SP 5.1. is it worth it?

11K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  harlowhammer 
#1 ·
I have just received and installed sp5 and the 2008 maps kindly sent to me from Bosch today and its nice to have the 3d view and full postcode search, my question is, Is it worth downloading SP5.1, what differences are there, I understand that 5.1 may improve the rear speaker volume as i have already noticed the drop in performance since upgrading to sp5, but i can live with that. Im just a bit dubious about downloading a file from the web to burn onto a disc that might screw up my sat nav during install. Im probably worrying for nothing but should i adopt the " if it aint broke dont fix it" attitude? Comments for and against will be greatly received.
Thanks

#2 ·
Hi robtvr

Sorry, I have no answer to your question but have a question for you.
This download you refer to ......... what site/link is it at?
I have'nt got an update since early 2009.
This is what version(s) my screen shows:

MAIN_VER_SW: 0843_090128
REG.VERSION: D1_SWNAV16.4C1P19
NAV_VER_SW: N0967VF_6.4C1P19

The dealer is having difficulty in establishing what
the current version should be.

#3 ·
I'm have know idea if that is the latest version, but I do know if you follow this link to a nowegian mondeo site

http://svpett.webs.com/lastened.htm?referer=AffiliateNetwork

This will allow you to download the latest firmware (sp5.1) you then burn this to a disc and upload to your Satnav. But I can't comment on what has changed cos I'm still undecided if it is worth doing

#4 ·
, my question is, Is it worth downloading SP5.1, what differences are there, I understand that 5.1 may improve the rear speaker volume as i have already noticed the drop in performance since upgrading to sp5, but i can live with that.Thanks
If you want to add USB you will need SP5.1.

#5 ·
robtvr, (or anyone) did you get the update recently? i bought my 57 reg in the summer and found the free update voucher for the latest version of the satnav firmware (3d maps). I sent this to blaupunkt, and included a letter (in german, knew that "O" level would be useful) explaining the original buyer had not updated the satnav 3yrs ago, and could they send me the disc. Alas, no repsonse.

if anyone knows who to address directly i would be grateful ( also is your reference to bosch a typo??)

as i understand it my 2007 maps will not work if i install the 5.1 software,

many thanks

#6 ·
Chazzy

I didnt have the voucher in my car so emailed Blaupunkt, they didnt want to help, but i read on this forum somewhere that Bosch may be my next port of call. Send an email to info@bosch-cm.com with myour name, address, DOB, contact number, vehicle reg and vin numbers asking for the SP5 update and 2008 maps, I recieved an email 2 days later saying they are on there way and they turned up 1 day later.

#7 ·
I upgraded my previous 57 reg sat nav to the 2008 maps and sp 5.1 a few months back. It was definitely worth doing as I was having problems with the unit locking up, unable to change radio stations, couldn't select phone, dash cd, multichanger etc. The update fixed it and I never had anymore problems. It was worth it to balance the rear speaker volume alone as the improvement in sound quality was very noticable. Just make sure your engine is running when you do the update, it takes 20 - 30 minutes and you don't want to run the risk of a flat or low battery as if this happens before the update is complete you are pretty much f****d.

#8 ·
As above, definately worth doing, the link further up the thread is fine, worked a treat but as Dexy said make sure the engine is running, VERY IMPORTANT!

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Chazzy

I didnt have the voucher in my car so emailed Blaupunkt, they didnt want to help, but i read on this forum somewhere that Bosch may be my next port of call. Send an email to info@bosch-cm.com with myour name, address, DOB, contact number, vehicle reg and vin numbers asking for the SP5 update and 2008 maps, I recieved an email 2 days later saying they are on there way and they turned up 1 day later.
This works a treat. I emailed on Sunday 17th April, and on Tuesday 19th April had a box arrive by UPS from Germany with the disc in. (2008 maps and 5.0 update on one disc)

So now I'm thinking about the 5.1 update. I've downloaded both the files from the link above but there is two files, which one do I use.

And do I just burn it to a CD and then slot it in the SAT NAV drive?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Chazzy

This works a treat. I emailed on Sunday 17th April, and on Tuesday 19th April had a box arrive by UPS from Germany with the disc in. (2008 maps and 5.0 update on one disc)

So now I'm thinking about the 5.1 update. I've downloaded both the files from the link above but there is two files, which one do I use.

And do I just burn it to a CD and then slot it in the SAT NAV drive?
Well, when i updated to SP 5.1, it was 1 ISO file, that i burned to CD and used that for update. But question is, why you would like to update to 5.1, if there is a 5.3 already to disposition. You can download 5.3 and update to this one, instead of 5.1. I did update to 5.3 without any problems, i have DVD maps 2009. I do not know, if it works with DVD maps 2008 as well.

#19 ·
Has anyone else recently requested the 2008 maps directly from Bosch? I sent an email a couple of months back and they initially said that they'd mail it out within days.
Nothing arrived and now I can't seem to get any response to my emails.

Just wondered if anyone else had any luck recentky.

Steve

#23 ·
The 2008 disk should have been a free upgrade, whereas the very latest disk is a £300 upgrade. Bosch seem willing to still send you a 2008 disk, but suspect are less willing to supply the very latest FOC.

The 2008 disk does give some significant upgrades apparently such as full post code search and 3D view, which is fundamentally what I'm after.

If it came to spending £300 for some amendments to just the map I think I'd buy a much better standalone system.

I

#24 ·
I agree, I have had both 2008 & 2010 disc (different cars) and I have yet to find a difference to the mapping, My house was a new build in 2005 and the road layout is still wrong on the 2010 disc!

#25 ·
Disk has actually arrived, so persistant emails and making myself a pain seem to have paid off.

Upgraded system and now have full post code search and 3D maps.

Thanks for the confirmation Big Megger that the £300 for the 2010 maps is better left in my pocket.

#31 ·
I upgraded from 5.1 to 5.3 - actually done it on the move and it took about 15 mins.
I thought voice control wasnt working but after hitting button on indicator stalk again to activate VC it loaded the recognition software and worked fine

#32 ·
I have the sat nav but the new one with the sd card...any ideas how you check the installed firmware version?

Any how you upgrade it if necesary?

There are one or two niggles with the unit (e.g. voice control can't be used for a few minutes after starting the car, and strangely a max of 5 names can be stored in phones voice control) so I wonder if a firmware update is available?

#33 ·
Hello,

Is this update for the Travelpilot FX? I have updated my wifes the other day and now all the navigation is in German!! lol

I want to sort it out but keep coming up against brick walls!!

Thanks for any help

Simon

#35 ·
I'm also interested in the travelpilot FX update, I've just purchased a 2011 V2 card (yellow) on ebay for my 2008 Focus, but it doesn't show any maps. I currently have a blue 2010 maps SD card which works fine. Does anyone know if this card is compatible and if so what software update I might need?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.