#1 ahshhhhh

ahshhhhh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hello
I hope someone will be able to help me.

I drive a Ford Mondeo 1.8LX, 1995. Recently the car boot hydraulics stopped working, leaving me to use a stick to prop up the boot when loading/unloading, which is obviously a bit dangerous.

Would anyone know if I would be able to fix this ? what it would involve and the probable cost ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Anthony

#2 markyg

markyg

Fail faced tartan chodder

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 13,734 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hello and welcome to Talk Ford.

Tends to happen a lot in the cold weather. I don`t think there is a simple fix if they are gone but replacement ones from your scrappy should be pretty cheap. There are other ones that fit from other cars but I can`t remember them off the top of my head. I`ll have a think :L
Mod with a kilt. Don't make me show you what's under there...

Is Pike (aka Boabsy), and so's my wife!

Rich. MIA. Probably lost the key to his pink fluffy handcuffs and gimp suit

Out of all the members on here, I'm the most popular and widely loved one. Yes, those of you with a filthy mind did interpret that the way it was meant.

#3 markyg

markyg

Fail faced tartan chodder

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 13,734 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Replacement instructions:

If you look at either end of the struts fitted to your ca you'll find a metal retaining clip at each attachment end (the 'bal'-joint'). Remove them with a flat blade screw driver then the strut wil simply pop off. Fit those clips to your replacement ones, but don't slide them on fully. Once you've got the strut popped in place use the screwdriver or pliers to get them into the right 'locked position, as-per what they looked like before you removed them.

Note of caution. The tailgate is a heavy bugger and could caus injury if it came down on you, so do the struts one at a time and even then, perhaps find something to prop it open (like a broom handle) whilst you're doing the job :L

Courtesy of MScotts
Mod with a kilt. Don't make me show you what's under there...

Is Pike (aka Boabsy), and so's my wife!

Rich. MIA. Probably lost the key to his pink fluffy handcuffs and gimp suit

Out of all the members on here, I'm the most popular and widely loved one. Yes, those of you with a filthy mind did interpret that the way it was meant.

#4 MaxD

MaxD

93 Mondy

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:TD

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

I tend to find it's about the same price to buy new as it is to buy 2nd hand. Just check your strut OEM number and you're good to go - SGS Engineering.
Mk I, 5door Boot Jan 1993 onwards 93BBA406A10AD / 93BBA406A10AE / 1115DX 1186KC / 7582AD 8514CC SGS120332 £12.99

#5 ahshhhhh

ahshhhhh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

Replacement instructions:

If you look at either end of the struts fitted to your ca you'll find a metal retaining clip at each attachment end (the 'bal'-joint'). Remove them with a flat blade screw driver then the strut wil simply pop off. Fit those clips to your replacement ones, but don't slide them on fully. Once you've got the strut popped in place use the screwdriver or pliers to get them into the right 'locked position, as-per what they looked like before you removed them.

Note of caution. The tailgate is a heavy bugger and could caus injury if it came down on you, so do the struts one at a time and even then, perhaps find something to prop it open (like a broom handle) whilst you're doing the job :L

Courtesy of MScotts

Many thanks. Have just taken off one strut for now, and will be visiting a breaker yard tomorrow to replace them.

#6 ahshhhhh

ahshhhhh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

I tend to find it's about the same price to buy new as it is to buy 2nd hand. Just check your strut OEM number and you're good to go - SGS Engineering.
Mk I, 5door Boot Jan 1993 onwards 93BBA406A10AD / 93BBA406A10AE / 1115DX 1186KC / 7582AD 8514CC SGS120332 £12.99

Many thanks, much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users