29 replies to this topic

#1 Mondaywoe

Mondaywoe

Little Megger

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Tonight I've suddenly got a 'Service Oil' message up. The car has done 17,000 miles and was serviced back in June of last year at 10,000 miles. I see from the handbook that this indicates the oil needs changing as opposed to topping up (level is OK)

I seem to remember someone else mentioning this before and it was either because the quality of the oil had deteriorated or else the length of time since last change had gone too far.

It's not due a service for some 3000 miles yet. Should I change the oil now anyway? Does anyone do more frequent changes than required?

The car hasn't been doing any extreme running - just usual mixture of short and long runs.

There has been a strong smell of burning when I come into the garage as past couple of days and the fan is going ten to the dozen. I assumed it was doing a particle filter regen. No signs of any oil leakage or anything untoward.

Any ideas folks?
Titanium X 2.0 TDCI 140 in Sea Grey metallic. Wheels downsized to 16" Ford pattern alloys and 215/55 tyres. Dealer fitted removable towbar.

#2 Neil Davies

Neil Davies

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Ti X 2007

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

I had the same message on mine last night. I did a quick search on here and found there's a way to reset it. I did that and job done:

(From memory)
close doors,
put ignotion to number 2 (dashboard lights on if you have keyless start)
Press both the brake and accelerator at the same time for about 20 seconds
a message will come up on the dash asking if you've services the oil, press OK on the wheel

job done. Apparently it's often down to an oversensitive sensor.

2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi 140 Thunder Grey with sat nav
2007 Peugeot 307cc 2.0Hdi 136 Sport

#3 videodoctor

videodoctor

Little Megger

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

Its due to the car doing the dpf regens.Mine started doing alot of regens last thing at night(2 in a week) and i always let them finish before turning off the engine.The following day i got the service oil message.It was only serviced 4000 miles ago but i took it in to an independant mechanic that i trust and had the oil and filter changed anyway(£53.90 all in).Since doing this the regens have stopped and everything is back to normal.I think its because i do alot of short journeys and the particulate filter fills up quicker with cold starts.Its worth taking the car for motorway run once a month and instead of changing up into 6th keep it in 4th with 3500 revs for a while.It cleans out the junk and forces a regen to start.
I wouldn't just reset the indicator as i think the regens pollutes the oil hence the message to get it changed.
59 plate Titanium X 140 Tdci
18" alloy wheels
Avalon blue
Parking sensors
Cornering lights
Dvd Headrests
Boot spoiler fitted
Rear windows tinted black

#4 Mondaywoe

Mondaywoe

Little Megger

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

I think I'll maybe change the oil and filter anyway - I've always thought 5000 miles would be a more sensible period. I could do it myself but I'm not sure where the filter is or how to change it and of course there's no Haynes available.

Can anyone help with a quick talk through? It's the 2.0 TDCI
Titanium X 2.0 TDCI 140 in Sea Grey metallic. Wheels downsized to 16" Ford pattern alloys and 215/55 tyres. Dealer fitted removable towbar.

#5 videodoctor

videodoctor

Little Megger

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

I think I'll maybe change the oil and filter anyway - I've always thought 5000 miles would be a more sensible period. I could do it myself but I'm not sure where the filter is or how to change it and of course there's no Haynes available.

Can anyone help with a quick talk through? It's the 2.0 TDCI

The labour for my oil change and filter was £15.The rest was the oil and filter.For the sake of £15 its not worth doing yourself.
59 plate Titanium X 140 Tdci
18" alloy wheels
Avalon blue
Parking sensors
Cornering lights
Dvd Headrests
Boot spoiler fitted
Rear windows tinted black

#6 Mondaywoe

Mondaywoe

Little Megger

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

The labour for my oil change and filter was £15.The rest was the oil and filter.For the sake of £15 its not worth doing yourself.

It's not really the cost - more a matter of knowing for sure that it's been done and done properly! With diesels you can drive the car home from a service and the oil is still black, so you have to take the garage's word for it that it's been changed but as I say I'm unsure where the oil filter is and would prefer a Haynes before jumping in. Am I right in thinking it's an element as opposed to a screw on cartridge? Shades of my first car - Mini 1000!

The other thing is that you can choose what sort of oil you want in and know what to top it up with until next service.

#7 Mondaywoe

Mondaywoe

Little Megger

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

Found this video on You Tube.

Doesn't seem to be the exact same engine as mine but I'm guessing the oil filter will be way down below and an 'element' as opposed to screw in cannister right enough.

I don't think that will cause me any hassles.

#8 jstallan

jstallan

Little Megger

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

Same thing happened to mine. I took it back to the dealer who changed the oil and filter (Free of charge) and updated the engine software.
2009 (59 Plate) Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X in Metallic Sea Grey.

#9 NickTB

NickTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Ghia
  • Name:Nick

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

I got the same message this morning. Car has done about 5,000 since it's last service. Kwik Fit are quoting me £29.95 for an oil and filter change. For that kind of money, it's worth doing every 3 months or so as I do about 1,500 miles per month
'07 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140 Ghia estate

#10 taxman

taxman

Megger

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

completely differant engine mk4.oil filter is on top of sump in engine bay...youll need extension bar on socket to get to fiter housing...less mess thou as oil drains into sump

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users