#1 sjmarsh74

sjmarsh74

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi all

first post!!!

ABS warning light came on my 53 plate Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 TDCI a few weeks back. Got myself a new one and have fitted it onto the OSF wheel.

I had a right job getting the screw out and in the end had to drill it. Finally got the old sensor out by breaking it in two. Popped the new one in and hey presto the light is still on!!!!

I didn't think at the time of just plugging the sensor into each wheel to see which one turned the light off.

So I now find myself having to purchase another sensor still not knowing which wheel is at fault.

The questions that I have are as follows?

Can I just plug a new sensor into the other wheels and when the light goes out I know which one it is? Or do I need a reset - although when it has been plugged in to a diagnostic machine it does not come up with any faults. If it needs a reset how will I then know which one has gone?

I have tried to work out which one it is by doing an emergency stop. The ABS did kick in and the wheel that locked just caused a huge amount of tyre smoke!!! Unfortunately I just couldn't tell which wheel had locked up.

How different are the rear sensors to the front? Are they all universal?

I had a right game getting the old sensor out as the head of the screw had gone. Any advice on getting the screws out as really don't want to have to drill another one? Is there anything that I can buy to make it easier? I don't want to use heat as I am only a novice!!

So if anyone out there can help me it would be much appreciated. I'm sure this is quite a common issue so hopefully I can get the answers that I need!!

Many thanks in advance

Simon

#2 SRH990

SRH990

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  • 32 thanks

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

I was under the impression that if you have the ABS warning light on, the ABS is disabled and you will only get 'normal' braking so your test really won't achieve much. If the ABS light stays on when you turn the ignition on then I would have thought that plugging in a new sensor in each wheel connection in turn might show you which is faulty.

There's another thread which covers the fact that the front & rear sensors are identical. To remove an old sensor I'd soak it with WD40 or the like overnight, the screws have Torq heads so all you can do is use a good quality bit, heat is a problem as this would definitely ruin the sensor!

Why did you start with the OSF wheel? If the bearing is starting to fail it can cause problems as the sensor ring for the ABS is the outer balck seal of the bearing.
Steve H

'06 Zetec TDCi 130 Euro IV, '04 TDCi 130 Euro IV

#3 sjmarsh74

sjmarsh74

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

I was under the impression that if you have the ABS warning light on, the ABS is disabled and you will only get 'normal' braking so your test really won't achieve much. If the ABS light stays on when you turn the ignition on then I would have thought that plugging in a new sensor in each wheel connection in turn might show you which is faulty.

There's another thread which covers the fact that the front & rear sensors are identical. To remove an old sensor I'd soak it with WD40 or the like overnight, the screws have Torq heads so all you can do is use a good quality bit, heat is a problem as this would definitely ruin the sensor!

Why did you start with the OSF wheel? If the bearing is starting to fail it can cause problems as the sensor ring for the ABS is the outer balck seal of the bearing.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll get another sensor and check each wheel before trying to get the sensor out. Not sure why I didn't do this in the first place but must have been having a bad day!!!

So you say the ABS sensors are identical front and rear? Best place to get them from??

Just to check - will the light go off immediately I find the faulty sensor?
Cheers Simon

#4 motorman116

motorman116

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo St Tdci
  • Name:Bill

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

Plugging an abs sensor, without fitting it, wont tell you anything, as the sensor wont work without the Abs ring. you can test the sensors by a multimeter. Jack up the siide that you want to test, remove the road wheel, unplug the sensor, and use the multimeter, and spin the wheel, the faulty abs sensor will either read constanly all the time, or wont read at all. The reading should fluctuate.....
2005 Ford Mondeo St Tdci, Performance Blue, with factory fitted Xenon Headlights, Asbo alloy wheels, K&N Panel Filter, Asbo Front Brakes, Ford 320mm front brake Discs, Ebc Turbo grooved and drilled rear discs, EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Front & Rear Pads, H7 8000k Hid Fog Lights, L.E.D Side repeaters,581 Vision24 Amber indicator bulbs , Wingspeed Decat Pipe, Goodridge braided brake lines, Daytime running lights, Powerflow cat back with twin rear exhaust boxes with 4" tailpipes, Angel Eye Halo's, Detango front Indicators / chrome bulbs, Black eye headlights, Eibach Pro lowering springs, Airtec Pro Intercooler, Forge Silicone Hoses, CNL Custom Remap, Turbo Pressure, Oil Temp, Voltage gauges

#5 johnneycool

johnneycool

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Plugging an abs sensor, without fitting it, wont tell you anything, as the sensor wont work without the Abs ring. you can test the sensors by a multimeter. Jack up the siide that you want to test, remove the road wheel, unplug the sensor, and use the multimeter, and spin the wheel, the faulty abs sensor will either read constanly all the time, or wont read at all. The reading should fluctuate.....

I've a similar problem after getting both rear hubs replaced due to the bearings going.

The issue is that on staring in the morning the ABS light goes out but the brakes are pretty spongey, then after a few minutes the ABS light comes on permanently and the brakes work without the ABS functionality, then the handbrake light comes on and will stay on until I restart the car, then it clears but the ABS is still on

The mechanic who replaced both rear hubs says he got two new ABS sensors with the hubs, but one connector was damaged, so he had to put one in he got from as scrap yard. He reckons I might need to get the diagnostics reset, but I can't see how that would be the case if it doesn't come on initially.

If he's made a dodgy connection to the ABS sensor, would it cause these problems??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users