News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Common problems with the 4-cylinder engine?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

Veteran

• Webmaster
  • 22,804 posts
  • 112 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:48 AM

I'm updating the Mondeo Mk3 Buyers Guide. Apart from the inlet manifold problem, are there any other areas of this engine that need looking at / be wary of?

2011 Mondeo Titanium X Sport (240PS with Powershift)

#2 bigcraigy

bigcraigy

Megger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:16 AM

When i first got my 2.0 petrol it developed a misfire under heavy load which someone on here informed me the HT leads were at fault as its common. They were right too.
2002 Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 LX petrol......17" KEI Force 10 alloys......Dropped 40mm on Eibach Springs.......Black Eyes.....Chromiumtech CCFL Angel Eyes......Crystal Side Repeaters.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Monkeyra

#3 D_C

D_C

Big Megger

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:42 AM

Coil pack and Aux belt tensioner

Thanked by 1 Member:
Monkeyra

#4 Bo

Bo

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MondeoMk3 2,0 Dtec
  • Name:Bosko

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

POPULAR

Poor piston rings quality on first models (before facelift 2003).
  • fatboyshrek likes this
Mondeo Mk3 2,0 Duratec 2001Nantucket grey
Black eyes, carbon 3M details, OZ Energy 17" 225/45/17, Pioneer P-88RSII with Alpine and Hertz
soon: Eibach Pro kit with Bilstein B4, Morimoto mini H1 stage III retrofit bi xenon

Focus Mk2 FL 1,6 Duratec 2010 Colorado red
Wife's car
Only rear tinted windows, Sparco Drift Black 16"

Thanked by 1 Member:
Monkeyra

#5 Nick

Nick

Veteran

• Webmaster
  • 22,804 posts
  • 112 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:59 AM

Coil pack and Aux belt tensioner

Fail prematurely or people not replacing them when required under the service schedule? (thinking more of the aux belt tensioner)

2011 Mondeo Titanium X Sport (240PS with Powershift)

#6 stevenfairley

stevenfairley

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 1.8 2002
  • Name:steven fairley

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

cat converter falling to bits

Thanked by 1 Member:
Monkeyra

#7 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,301 posts
  • 311 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2001 1.8 Mk3 Mondeo

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

coil failure is a problem ( big problem if it goes badly as it fries the ECU too which blows future coils till its reconned/replaced )
HT leads generally fail due to being removed from the engine badly when changing the plugs ( easier to grab the wire that the big head of the lead & thus causes damage )

Intake Mainfold can fail at the swirl plates & cause all kinds of trouble ( from high idle & very lean running to broken engine after the metal bar of the swirlies gets eaten )

Aux belt tensioner & also the idler pulley are prone to rattling ( not a service item & can go anytime ( seen from 13-130k miles from em - the belt they work has a very long service interval ( somat daft like 150k miles or something for the petrol 4-pots )

the oil needs checking regular as these engine can drink the oil a wee bit when they start ( mine never used a drop when i got it but as the miles racked up its started using a wee bit ( sometimes catches me out & i get a flicker of the oil warning light under heavy braking & it needs a good couple of litres then :whistling: )

the thermostat is a begger for failure & its a begger to access easily too ( not cheap either as its a combined thermostat.temp sensor & its got some electronic gubbins too to open the stat early to pre-empt an increase engine temp when you floor the throttle etc.

the EGR valves can clog up/become glitchy ( mine often glitch's & brings on the engine management light ( mostly this is when slowing down using the engine & you get the magic combo of around 1700-1900RPM's & 28-32mph ) again expensive to buy & a real begger to change due to stuff in the way

cold re-starting can be a problem ( normally happens after starting the car, moving a small distance & stopping before a re-start a few mins later - closing gate/garage etc ) the workround for it to to press the accelerator just after the engine stops ( there is normally a 'thunk' kinda noise from the intake system when you do this ) & 99% of the time the engine will fire up again the next time without a problem, otherwise its a case of foot flat to the floor while cranking till it starts ( normally a few seconds before it fires )

coolant loss can occasionally take place & from reading on here there is 3 common causes ( plenty more places for it to go but these are the ones that i remember )

Coolant header tank can split on the underside & lo0ok fine when cool ( but when upto temp it expands & leaks )
Thermostat housing cracks ( same expansion prblem so only noticable when hot )
header tank cap lost its seal leading to the coolant boiling away ( these engine run at near on 100degrees normal so it can boil away quickly if the cap seal fails )

all i can think of for now

Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

Thanked by 1 Member:
Monkeyra

#8 marky b

marky b

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:ford mondeo
  • Name:mark blood

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

coil failure is a problem ( big problem if it goes badly as it fries the ECU too which blows future coils till its reconned/replaced )
HT leads generally fail due to being removed from the engine badly when changing the plugs ( easier to grab the wire that the big head of the lead & thus causes damage )

Intake Mainfold can fail at the swirl plates & cause all kinds of trouble ( from high idle & very lean running to broken engine after the metal bar of the swirlies gets eaten )

Aux belt tensioner & also the idler pulley are prone to rattling ( not a service item & can go anytime ( seen from 13-130k miles from em - the belt they work has a very long service interval ( somat daft like 150k miles or something for the petrol 4-pots )

the oil needs checking regular as these engine can drink the oil a wee bit when they start ( mine never used a drop when i got it but as the miles racked up its started using a wee bit ( sometimes catches me out & i get a flicker of the oil warning light under heavy braking & it needs a good couple of litres then :whistling: )

the thermostat is a begger for failure & its a begger to access easily too ( not cheap either as its a combined thermostat.temp sensor & its got some electronic gubbins too to open the stat early to pre-empt an increase engine temp when you floor the throttle etc.

the EGR valves can clog up/become glitchy ( mine often glitch's & brings on the engine management light ( mostly this is when slowing down using the engine & you get the magic combo of around 1700-1900RPM's & 28-32mph ) again expensive to buy & a real begger to change due to stuff in the way

cold re-starting can be a problem ( normally happens after starting the car, moving a small distance & stopping before a re-start a few mins later - closing gate/garage etc ) the workround for it to to press the accelerator just after the engine stops ( there is normally a 'thunk' kinda noise from the intake system when you do this ) & 99% of the time the engine will fire up again the next time without a problem, otherwise its a case of foot flat to the floor while cranking till it starts ( normally a few seconds before it fires )

coolant loss can occasionally take place & from reading on here there is 3 common causes ( plenty more places for it to go but these are the ones that i remember )

Coolant header tank can split on the underside & lo0ok fine when cool ( but when upto temp it expands & leaks )
Thermostat housing cracks ( same expansion prblem so only noticable when hot )
header tank cap lost its seal leading to the coolant boiling away ( these engine run at near on 100degrees normal so it can boil away quickly if the cap seal fails )

all i can think of for now

#9 Bin_Man

Bin_Man

Resident buffoon

• Forum Moderator
  • 4,192 posts
  • 42 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK2 Mondeo

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

Coil packs for sure - seem to fail left right and centre.

Contrary to popular belief, the inlet manifold issue is NOT confined to the pre-facelift cars - can happen on any variant/age although I believe the design was improved over production.
Bin_Man contains strong language and scenes of a sexual nature

The nice thing about Marmite, the really GREAT thing about it, is that if it gets stuck in customs for four years, goes well past it's use-by date, becomes rancid and the bacteria develop to a point where a system of local government is in place, they have free housing for bacteria with families, all the little bacteria go to school and the more inquisitive bacteria have invented both the digital watch and Corby trouser press - it will STILL taste absolutely FOUL !!!!

#10 6evil9

6evil9

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

I'm updating the Mondeo Mk3 Buyers Guide. Apart from the inlet manifold problem, are there any other areas of this engine that need looking at / be wary of?

Alternator intermitent failures- symptom, battery is flat after half day of not driving

(sounds weird, but it somehow drains the battery)
no battery light comes on.

Thermostat failures

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users