Jabe

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Jonathan Smith

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

I am driving a 56-plate Mondeo 2.0 TDCI with around 44,000 miles on the clock. I am generally happy with it apart from the clouds of white smoke that are kicked out when I hit the accelerator (in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears). I am used to the occasional puff of black smoke and accept this as normal, but surely lots of white smoke isn't? Or is it?

Anyway, I took the car to a Ford dealer to have it looked at and they found that the EGR was sticking open. They have replaced it and believe that will fix the problem. Do does anyone concur? I have to say I was surprised by the 'fix' - I was expecting to be told that the oil seals around the turbo were worn.

#2 SRH990

SRH990

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  • 32 thanks

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

The experience I've had is that a sticking EGR that sticks open causes loss of power and clouds of black smoke, when it's stuck shut (or blanked!) smoke is reduced from normal and engine pickup is smoother, I can't see where white smoke would figure either way?
Steve H

'06 Zetec TDCi 130 Euro IV, '04 TDCi 130 Euro IV

#3 Jabe

Jabe

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Jonathan Smith

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

I'll keep an eye on it when I'm next on the road. It is most apparent when doing 50-60 and then flooring it. But I suspect I'll be back in the dealership soon Its under local dealer warrenty for a year so it may just be that they will just string me along until the warrenty ends when they'll 'discover' the real problem.

#4 samussamus1

samussamus1

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST220

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

I'll keep an eye on it when I'm next on the road. It is most apparent when doing 50-60 and then flooring it. But I suspect I'll be back in the dealership soon Its under local dealer warrenty for a year so it may just be that they will just string me along until the warrenty ends when they'll 'discover' the real problem.

That is usually the case.

Black Mondeo 2002 TDDI 2L Zetec - Current Mods : Decat, Straight Through Exhaust System,Turbo Resonator Removed, EGR Bypass & Blanking Plate, BlackEyed Angel Eyes, Smoked side repeaters, 12000k 55w HID Headlight Bulbs, ST220 Alloys, JVC Head Unit, Air Horn, Two Sony Xplods 1200w & 1000w Sony Xplod AmpSOLD. 

Mondeo 2.2 TDCI Titanium - EGR Removed - Decatted - Full Leather Fitted - Sub&Amp 

Mondeo ST220 Performance Blue Facelift - K&N Induction - LED Conversion - Projector Headlights

#5 bigcraigy

bigcraigy

Megger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

Worn turbo oil seals would usually cause blue smoke but to rule it out, if you can get to the intercooler and just check for oil spray inside it. Sometimes get white smoke from water in cylinders but not sure on diesels.
2002 Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 LX petrol......17" KEI Force 10 alloys......Dropped 40mm on Eibach Springs.......Black Eyes.....Chromiumtech CCFL Angel Eyes......Crystal Side Repeaters.

#6 markderby

markderby

Derby Meets Organiser

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • 56 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Modifide TDCI

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

white smoke is normaly Unburned diesel or firing at the wrong time

the INJECTORS .....

Oil Seals is a Blue'ish smoke

Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X TDCI StarDust Silver Facelift Zetec-S/ST Body Kit My Car Pics
Methanol/Water Injection & Nitrous Oxcide Wheel Power 227bhp / 341lb-ft or 462NM Flywheel Power 266bhp / 388lb-ft or 526NM
Modifide injectors, Big Intercooler, Stainless Steel Decat & Exhaust System ,Forge Pipe Set R-Tech Tuning Custom Ice Install

#7 guffer

guffer

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 1,761 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

Could also just have needed the EGR cleaning out. Mine needs doing every 6 months.
Dunno if we have a bad batch of fuel in the UK at the moment but I've noticed a lot more smokey diesels in the last week than normal, inlcuding my own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users