#1 GeorgeGhia

GeorgeGhia

Little Megger

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hi All

My brothers mk3 has burst a brake pipe. Haven't been able to look properly yet but can see fluid leaking from above the rear subframe. Does the tank have to be dropped to replace these pipes?

Any help appreciated

George

#2 44ron

44ron

Megger

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK3 Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Name:Aaron

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

Not exactly.. You would have to drop the tank to replace them in the same place but plenty of people have had them rerouted and just left the damaged pipe in situ.

2007 MK3 Mondeo ST TDCI in Performance Blue

2004 Street KA Luxury in Storm Grey

Thanked by 1 Member:
GeorgeGhia

#3 sooty180

sooty180

MEG ROCKER

• Gold Member
  • 592 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Alfa 156 JTS

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

As above, it's far easier to simply re-route the new pipes and cable-tie them out of the way neatly. I snipped away what I could of the old pipes and pulled them out so they weren't left hanging.

Thanked by 1 Member:
GeorgeGhia

#4 Hasbeen

Hasbeen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.0 ghia
  • Name:Jim

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm just in process of doing my pipes, but unsure where to route the pipes ?...will it be a MOT failure using cable ties to support route ?

Don't fancy the ball ache of dropping tank.

#5 Baldrick

Baldrick

Lincolnshire Meets Organiser

• Members
  • 12,393 posts
  • 174 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Just as above, just re-route them, not worth the hassle of dropping everything, the trade just re-route them, common fault with them.

As for using cable ties, I can't see why not, maybe some one knows other wise. Have a read here, doesn't say they are, but then can doesn't say there not. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_360.htm

#6 siruncle

siruncle

missing the "view new content" button

• Regional Moderator
  • 15,912 posts
  • 977 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.0 ghia mk2
  • Name:Pete

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

i believe you can get proper clips to secure them to the car, http://www.ebay.co.u...6.c0.m270.l1313

only problem with using cable ties is what you tie it to. (big no-no's are fuel pipes and suspension components etc... )

From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/
2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now needing a pair of front jacking point covers... msg me

Ever noticed that putting "anal" in front of some ford model names makes them sound funny? Fiesta, Probe, Ranger. Explorer, Maverick etc... lol

#7 Hasbeen

Hasbeen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Had a good look today, did a trial run feeding pipe another route..going for it tomorrow...just another quick question, on resavoir cap it say super dot 4, but everywhere ive been
only seem to sell dot 4 or 5.1 ?, is it essential to use super ??

#8 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 54 TDCi GHIA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

dot 5.1 is suitable for mixing with super dot 4 so you'll be fine :)

#9 Hasbeen

Hasbeen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

POPULAR

Well i decided to put new brake pipes in from front to back, must say thanks to all for advise ye've given other folk
on here and without reading topics i wouldn't have tried, i did try using flare kit on steel pipe but trust me don't even
try, just do the whole lot i found that much easier, i was wiery of re routing rear pipe rather than drop tank but it was
very easy once i took the plunge and cut the pipe..lol, passed MOT with flying colours and got compliment on a good
job on brake pipe,so well chuffed with that, and to be honest i would've saved time if i hadn't tried flaring the the
steel pipe (my fault for reading reviews on site that said it works on steel) dont try it just go the copper route or
kunifer.
  • richie kaye likes this

#10 richie kaye

richie kaye

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 TDCI GHIA X
  • Name:Richard

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Well i decided to put new brake pipes in from front to back, must say thanks to all for advise ye've given other folk
on here and without reading topics i wouldn't have tried, i did try using flare kit on steel pipe but trust me don't even
try, just do the whole lot i found that much easier, i was wiery of re routing rear pipe rather than drop tank but it was
very easy once i took the plunge and cut the pipe..lol, passed MOT with flying colours and got compliment on a good
job on brake pipe,so well chuffed with that, and to be honest i would've saved time if i hadn't tried flaring the the
steel pipe (my fault for reading reviews on site that said it works on steel) dont try it just go the copper route or
kunifer.

Great read Hasbeen,ive started another thread over these Brake pipes...Shame you didnt do a blow by blow account of how you did it...You would become a Hero and get it Stickied,Its the only way i learned to change my Wishbones for the first tme ever from this forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users