Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2006 2.0 TDCi (130)
  • Name:Ronan

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hoping for some help!
Driving home on friday evening after about 5 miles the glow plug light came on and the engine lost power. Stopped and turned the car off and on and I then drove another 20 miles with no problems, before it happened again, although i noticed that once I went passed 1800rpm the engine struggled. Rang a mechanic mate of mine and he advised me to limp the car home. About 2 miles later on a hill travelling at 30mph the engine revved to its max, I quickly pulled in and switched off. There was a lot of black some coming from the exhaust. Checked the oil levels and all was ok so I hope none was sucked up to where it shouldn't be. After this the car wouldn't start and the engine management light is on. It will turn so at least the engine isn't ceased (i Hope!).
Is the turbo gone? Secondly is this a common fault with this type of engine? I drive an 06 2.0 TDCi (130) with 67k on the clock.

Any help is appreciated, just trying to set myself up for the shock of the repair bill!

#2 smudge_don

smudge_don

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.2TDCI ST

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Turbo is usually a large cloud of white smoke, not black

#3 markderby

markderby

Derby Meets Organiser

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Modifide TDCI

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

check all pipe work from the turbo .. to the EGR/manifold ...

it is strange why the engine rev'd to max ..

but when u have the pipes off check to see how much play is in the turbo shaft its self ...
it should move freely and about 1>2mm side to side movement

Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X TDCI StarDust Silver Facelift Zetec-S/ST Body Kit My Car Pics
Methanol/Water Injection & Nitrous Oxcide Wheel Power 227bhp / 341lb-ft or 462NM Flywheel Power 266bhp / 388lb-ft or 526NM
Modifide injectors, Big Intercooler, Stainless Steel Decat & Exhaust System ,Forge Pipe Set R-Tech Tuning Custom Ice Install

#4 raynkar

raynkar

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 4,513 posts
  • 96 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

Unlike the above comment, when the turbo blows you usually get clouds of black smoke coming from the exhaust. The smoke is black because the turbo shaft is normally worn or damaged, which allows the high speed rotation of the turbo fan to suck the oil directly from the sump of the car via the turbo shaft drip feed supply pipe (at the back and below the turbo). So, if you think about it, its obviously going to be black smoke because the engine is burning lots of extra oil.

It is also VERY common for the engine to over rev to the point where it seizes once the oil supply is used up....... And worst of all you cannot even stop the engine by turning off the ignition once the over rev gets beyond a certain point........You just end up running from the car, and then listening to the engine literally rev itself to death!

As am example, when my turbo bloke (TDCi 115), the turbo sucked all six litres of oil from the sump in twenty minutes of slow driving!

If your turbo is dead, then it can be reconditioned by various companies (I'm sure someone else will have a link). I chose to buy a good reconditioned turbo unit, which cost me £400, and the bill including fitting and VAT was £650.
2003 TDCi 'MIXS' hatchback. Chrome dial surrounds; facelift rear lights; auto dimming mirror; rear footwell lights; Fitted rear blind; front/rear parking sensors; ST front/rear bumpers; ST steering wheel; 12v socket in gearstick surround; 12v socket in rear of arm rest; flat aero wipers front/rear; white dial faces with chrome surrounds; ST alloys; OEM CD changer; Stebel Nautilus horn; remote folding mirrors; EATC retrofit; Tinted rear windows; OEM sill kick plates front/rear; uprated ford speakers; blanked EGR. ST half leather seats; submarine lights front/rear; ST spoiler; extra boot lighting; LED door handle/door pocket lights; piano black fascia; Zetec S side skirts; LED rear Ford badge; Zetec S arch spats; LED sidelights; xenons with CCFL angel eyes; plus lots more.

#5 markderby

markderby

Derby Meets Organiser

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • 57 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Modifide TDCI

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Midland Turbos 295+vat for recon

Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X TDCI StarDust Silver Facelift Zetec-S/ST Body Kit My Car Pics
Methanol/Water Injection & Nitrous Oxcide Wheel Power 227bhp / 341lb-ft or 462NM Flywheel Power 266bhp / 388lb-ft or 526NM
Modifide injectors, Big Intercooler, Stainless Steel Decat & Exhaust System ,Forge Pipe Set R-Tech Tuning Custom Ice Install

#6 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,450 posts
  • 361 thanks

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hoping for some help!
Driving home on friday evening after about 5 miles the glow plug light came on and the engine lost power. Stopped and turned the car off and on and I then drove another 20 miles with no problems, before it happened again, although i noticed that once I went passed 1800rpm the engine struggled. Rang a mechanic mate of mine and he advised me to limp the car home. About 2 miles later on a hill travelling at 30mph the engine revved to its max, I quickly pulled in and switched off. There was a lot of black some coming from the exhaust. Checked the oil levels and all was ok so I hope none was sucked up to where it shouldn't be. After this the car wouldn't start and the engine management light is on. It will turn so at least the engine isn't ceased (i Hope!).
Is the turbo gone? Secondly is this a common fault with this type of engine? I drive an 06 2.0 TDCi (130) with 67k on the clock.

Any help is appreciated, just trying to set myself up for the shock of the repair bill!

yes i have heard of blown turbos throwing out clouds of black smoke in fact it is the common symptorm so have this turbo taken down and thoroughly checked before yuu start this engine again as you may not be do luckey the next time it happens and this can lead to overreving you cant stop except by sticking the car in gear and trying to stall the engine ..otherwist the engine can self destruct and you seem to understand..s

#7 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,450 posts
  • 361 thanks

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hoping for some help!

#8 rad121

rad121

Big Megger

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

If you want to do it the cheaper way, buy a used turbo from a srappies, I would recommend one that deals only in wrecking Mondeos, as at least you know they familair with dismantling that type of vehicle. A good one is in Stoke where I got my turbo from. I paid £300 and that came complete with the actuator. Once you have it, sell the old actuator from your blown turbo on Ebay for £200 buy it now, this bit should be unharmed by the mechanical bit blowing. Then you have got a new turbo for £100. If you can fit it yourself, so much the better, if not, couple hours work for a garage. Either way, massive saving than buying a recon unit or a new one. People will no doubt tell you this is risky, but then so is Mondeo ownership in general.

#9 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,450 posts
  • 361 thanks

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

Hoping for some help!

Marks suggestion on midland turbos for 295 pls vat is and unbeatable offer and i recon id jump at that as i said drive normally as yo cand dont try to unduly drive slowly but make sure the sump is topped up well and if the car shuld start overev ving then pull into the nearest hard shoulder and stick on the hand brake hard and put her in second gear and No foot on accelerator ..NO acceleratro but put a big boot on the brake pedal and lift the clutch pedal smartly with all the brakes applied this shuld cause the engine to stall and cut it out ....as the poster above says truning the key is useless if she has started to self injest oil from the sump and this is the only way i know or stallling the engine to stop it ..s

#10 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,450 posts
  • 361 thanks

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hoping for some help!

Marks suggestion on midland turbos for 295 pls vat is and unbeatable offer and i recon id jump at that as i said drive normally as you can dont try to unduly drive slowly but make sure the sump is topped up well and If the car shuld start overev ving then pull into the nearest hard shoulder and stick on the hand brake hard and put her in second gear and No foot on accelerator ..NO accelerator but put a big boot on the brake pedal and lift the clutch pedal smartly with all the brakes applied this shuld cause the engine to stall and cut it out ....as the poster above says turning the key is useless if she has started to self ingest oil from the sump and this is the only way i know or stallling the engine to stop it ..ps a braver guy might open the hood and using a bar of other strong impliment try to prize the intake rubber pipe off the inlet manifold forceably but remember that the engine is top rev ving whilst you are doing this ...hopefully you wont experience any of this which can happen on most diesel turbo motors ..by the way ...so good luck with your attempts to source and fix your problem ..s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users