Big Megger

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK2 Mondeo 2.0l
  • Name:Dave

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Hi guys,

the bug is still biting me and making me want to do things to my Mondy. Now i have been persuaded to fit lowering springs, i am going to just change the springs as the shocks are still in perfect working order. I have changed the front springs recently so i know how to do those but i've never touched the rears. Can anyone that has done it give me some pointers?

I have a Haynes Manual but was wondering how others do it cos Haynes tend to do somethings that you really didn't need to. I have drums on the rear, is disconnecting the brake pipe essential? Oh can someone explain what it means by lifting the knuckle to release the strut from the bump stop?

If anyone has some pictures of this area and can describe what needs to be removed then it would be much appreciated.
1998 Ford Mondeo 2.0L Ghia X
2003 Peugeot 807 2.2 HDi Executive

#2 covlad1987

covlad1987

covlad1987

• Members
  • 1,174 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:st200 white
  • Name:joe

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

Hi guys,

the bug is still biting me and making me want to do things to my Mondy. Now i have been persuaded to fit lowering springs, i am going to just change the springs as the shocks are still in perfect working order. I have changed the front springs recently so i know how to do those but i've never touched the rears. Can anyone that has done it give me some pointers?

I have a Haynes Manual but was wondering how others do it cos Haynes tend to do somethings that you really didn't need to. I have drums on the rear, is disconnecting the brake pipe essential? Oh can someone explain what it means by lifting the knuckle to release the strut from the bump stop?

If anyone has some pictures of this area and can describe what needs to be removed then it would be much appreciated.

soak the pinch bolts if that dont work get heat on them only tip i can give is take your time as soon as the bolt goes tight stop then spray more wd40 on it then start to tighten again more heat and then start to undo

whay haynes are on about to remove the shock you have to compress the spring so you can push the shock to take it out

[color:red]Another warm sunny day...... Now this is Global Warming at its best!!!!!![/color]

#3 Mondelator

Mondelator

Little Megger

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Hi guys,

#4 Mondelator

Mondelator

Little Megger

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hi guys,

I have changed two rear springs. I cant give you a blow by blow run down of what needs to be done , but I can answer part of your question below

1) Its not necessary to disconnect the brake pipe .But you must be careful to support the knuckle and not let the weight of it to pull
on the pipe.
2) Undo the pinch bolt ( which connects the strut to the knuckle ) with care and patience . They have an annoying habit of snapping!
Plenty of plus gas fluid . Once you have initial movement keep rocking it back and forth , whilst undoing.
3) Take the strut apart safely . If you've a mate at the local garage with the proper press , take advantage . If your doing it yourself ,we
ar eye protection . Three coil spring compressors are better than two . Let us know how you get on

#5 MondeoNo1

MondeoNo1

Big Megger

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK2 Mondeo 2.0l
  • Name:Dave

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

Well, the job is done, i have lowering springs fitted all round but took us the best part of 14 hrs to do them.

As ive never done springs on the back, tha is where we thought it would be best to start. The rear drivers side went well and we got the pinch bolt out in one piece. We didn't undo the brake lines as there is plenty of slack in the flexi pipe once disconnected the strut from the hub. We went to do the other rear and the pinch bolt snapped!! It took us a good couple of hours to drill it out and wejust changed the pinch bolt for a simple nut and bolt to pinch it up. We put it all back together and that was it for one day.

Today, we did the drivers front spring and everything went smoothly. We didn't bother undoing the pinch bolts on the fronts as i removed the driveshafts from the knuckle and took it all off in one piece. When we went to do the passenger side, i managed to round out the locking wheel nut, so i banged a socket over it to get it off. Then the rest of it went smoothly, apart from the spring compressors slipped off the spring and it flew out of my hand just missing mine and my neighbours car.

The jobs done now but i'm not sure if it's sitting right as the rear seems lower than the front. They have definitely lowered the whole car and it does look nice but maybe its just me being picky? Anyone else found this with their springs?

Thanks for everyones help on this matter.
1998 Ford Mondeo 2.0L Ghia X
2003 Peugeot 807 2.2 HDi Executive

#6 Fred22

Fred22

Turbo'd ST24

• Members
  • 10,084 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:st24
  • Name:Fred

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

the front arches are massive so it will give the impression that the fronts are sitting a bit higher, but if you see it the arches on the front are a bit bigger if that makes sense, to be honest when i fitted my lowering suspension which came off a st200, it decked my st to the ground, looks pretty gangster as well, will look even better when i hit the 19s on there :smoking:

well done on the job anyways, at least you know its done and you wont need to be doing that job again anytime soon ;)
98 Ford Mondeo/Contour v6 :)

my st24 turbo progress

my garage

Dont fcuk with this St24
Shudda bRought a Scooby

#7 jaysback

jaysback

MK1 & MK3 Megger

• Members
  • 828 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2010Smax titX sport

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

If they are new springs it will take them a while to settle.
I have seen a few sets that have more drop on the front that the rear.

2010 S-Max Titanium X Sport 2.0 (203PS) ecoboost. Mods so far :- some bulbs, some LED's and a fair bit of Megiuars / 3M / BiltHamber & CarPro polishing.

1996 Mondeo saloon 4x4 si, auralis (II) blue, Koni top adjustable shock, custom Graham Goode lowering springs 40mm F 20mm R, Poly roll bar bar and drop links, diesel clutch,16" 5 spoke alloys, Morimoto H1 mini projector with 50W 6000k HID converted headlights, racebits induction kit, needs a respray. Fast Ford featured July 98.
Diary here http://www.talkford....-mondeo-4x4-si/
2002 Mondeo mk3 2.0 tdci ghia x, panther black, factory xenon's, a few led's, 18" Team Dynamics Jet alloys & polly subframe.

#8 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:ST24
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 26.884

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

If they are new springs it will take them a while to settle.
I have seen a few sets that have more drop on the front that the rear.

My Eibachs are meant to lower 15mm all round on ST models but in actual fact, the front is lower than the back. The arch gaps look the same but if you look at the car from the front and to the side, from about 10 yards away or so you can definitely see it is lower at the front. It actually looks pretty cool :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users