#1 BIG "G"

BIG "G"

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MONDEO

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

hi guys i ordered myself a egr blanking plate and was wondering do i have to go to all the hassle of cleaning the egr valve out before fitting the plate or does it not matter now that the pipe will be blocked or does the engine still use the pipe while its blanked off im not very mechanically minded so feel free to steer me in the right direction cheers

ps my egr is at the rear right of the engine as u look at it from the front

#2 RedCarsAnonymous

RedCarsAnonymous

16 years of nothing but RED cars

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo TDDI

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

Chances are, no ... rear mounted EGR apparently soot up less than front mounted ones, so it depends how bad it is - if its really coked up I suppose there is a theoretical risk that big lumps could fall off & get sucked in - but no worse that if you're running without a blanking plate.

Put it this way, I didn't bother.

Somthing you might want to consider though is taking off & cleaning out up the pipework from the EGR to the inlet manifold & the inlet manifold itself ... but again, I didn't bother & still have the benefits of improved mpg & no more "kangarooing" at 1800 rpm.
Hello, my name is Jon ... and I'm addicted to red cars :D

** 2002 51 reg 2.0TDDI Ghia X hatch ***

#3 BIG "G"

BIG "G"

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MONDEO

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

Chances are, no ... rear mounted EGR apparently soot up less than front mounted ones, so it depends how bad it is - if its really coked up I suppose there is a theoretical risk that big lumps could fall off & get sucked in - but no worse that if you're running without a blanking plate.

Put it this way, I didn't bother.

Somthing you might want to consider though is taking off & cleaning out up the pipework from the EGR to the inlet manifold & the inlet manifold itself ... but again, I didn't bother & still have the benefits of improved mpg & no more "kangarooing" at 1800 rpm.

thanks mate what are the benifits of doing this?? it wont use more fuel will it??

#4 RedCarsAnonymous

RedCarsAnonymous

16 years of nothing but RED cars

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo TDDI

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

thanks mate what are the benifits of doing this?? it wont use more fuel will it??

tbh I wasn't quite clear on what you were asking so:

Benefits of EGR blanking:

If the EGR valve is currently working, blanking it will undo the point of having it in the first place - reducing NOX emissions by lowering combustion temperatures by mixing exhaust gas with the air going into the engine - but as NOX emissions aren't tested at MoT, you have to ask how important that is ... It'll also prevent further build up of soot in the air inlet pipework & inlet manifold & may reduce your mpg a little.

if on the other hand, if the valve has failed (usually they stick open), blanking it will improve the mpg quite a bit (early days yet, but my TDDi has gone from an indicated 39mpg to an indicated 45mpg), the "kangarooing" I used to get around 1800rpm at a steady speed/minimal throttle (trickling along in 1st and second gear in slow traffic) has pretty much gone, there's less smoke coming out of the exhaust, and presumably, less soot is building up in my pipework.

Benefits of inlet manifold/pipework cleaning:

Restores diameter of pipework & voulme of inlet manifold to what the designers intended - so the fuel/air mix is what it should be, rather than slightly too little air for the amount of fuel going in (so theoretically better mpg for the same power), and potentially, a little more power & responsiveness.

:)
Hello, my name is Jon ... and I'm addicted to red cars :D

** 2002 51 reg 2.0TDDI Ghia X hatch ***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users