xerxes

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.0 TDCi
  • Name:Peter Holguette

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

After looking at graemwelch's excellent post on cracking open a Garrett VV turbo (as fitted to my TDCi), I decided to take mine apart after I suffered the the dreaded blinking glow light problem. The turbo was thick with soot especially in the vicinity of the variable vanes.
However, can one of you experts out there tell me if the circular thin metal spacer (same diameter as the vanes) fitted on the vane shaft (turbo end) between the vanes and the turdo body is supposed to be a very loose fitting because the one fitted to my unit certainly is, the shaft though runs freely

#2 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37,014 posts
  • 388 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tddi

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

would it not make sense to get a service kit? new seals and all that or have you already got one?
51 plate ghia x tddi with extra oomph

Boost Pressure = ((MAP x 10) - BARO)/6.895 (use with F-Super readings)

My Blog http://abitoveverything.blogspot.co.uk

#3 danwfastford

danwfastford

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2,171 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 TDCi TiTX Estate

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:13 AM

I'd be very wary of taking a turbo apart and replacing components unless I had access to a balancer.
www.fastfordmag.co.uk

Try it, you might like it!

#4 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37,014 posts
  • 388 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tddi

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

I'd be very wary of taking a turbo apart and replacing components unless I had access to a balancer.

i feel the same but he's obviously keen on doing it anyway :L
51 plate ghia x tddi with extra oomph

Boost Pressure = ((MAP x 10) - BARO)/6.895 (use with F-Super readings)

My Blog http://abitoveverything.blogspot.co.uk

#5 dezza

dezza

Megger

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

After looking at graemwelch's excellent post on cracking open a Garrett VV turbo (as fitted to my TDCi), I decided to take mine apart after I suffered the the dreaded blinking glow light problem. The turbo was thick with soot especially in the vicinity of the variable vanes.
However, can one of you experts out there tell me if the circular thin metal spacer (same diameter as the vanes) fitted on the vane shaft (turbo end) between the vanes and the turdo body is supposed to be a very loose fitting because the one fitted to my unit certainly is, the shaft though runs freely

if i remember right they aren't particularly tight. it sits on 3 round guides that are very easy to lose if your not carful, as long as you have those in place then it should be held correctly. take a picture if you can it will help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users