Ford Automobiles Forum banner

4x416v's Mk1 diary

12K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  4x416v 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So my diary starts today, I have had my Mk1 4x4 since February 2010 (had one before that but kept it standard) I have been planning big things for her for all this time as I wont rush a big project. I must start by thanking both Davey h for all his help finding the parts I needed and guidance so far, as these cars are very rare, and Percy for answering all my PM's about zetec Turbo options amongst other ideas.

The car is only mildly mod'ed with 4 x RS arch spats a Powerflow exhaust, Bomz induction kit, skimmed head, Fiesta RS 1800 inlet and a superchip and tinted rear lights. While I have been thinking about "Big Power" I have been collecting chassis parts to take the already good handling up to another level, I was taken for a spin in Davey h's 4x4 a few weeks back and after that I knew how I wanted my car to handle.

I have collected almost everything that I need for the chassis upgrades so now it's just a matter of fitting it all, I have:

4x wishbone (front and rear) Powerflex poly bushes

Front ARB Powerflex poly bushes

Uprated droplinks (front and rear) with Superflex polly bushes made by "Striker 1" on CEG.

Mk1 Focus RS wheels

21mm rear ARB (BAT) from the USA with Poly bushes

Bilstein struts with - 35mm Spax springs

Front strut brace

Rear Strut Brace

New top mounts and bearings.

I am waiting on the Bradness designed uprated rear arms (being crafted for me in Canada as I write this)

Percybiguns old vented bonnet to be treated with Hammerite on underside and re sprayed to my car's colour and fitted.

Morette lights to go on and cold air feed pipe along with the cold air feed trumpets to accomodate the batterey relocation to the boot.

I will be having the car resprayed at some point as it really needs it.

Also on my shopping list are ASBO brakes and Mk3 callipers and eventualy a Zetec Turbo conversion.

My car went in for an MOT today (passed with no advisories) but as I had noticed a knocking sound coming from the rear ARB as the standard bushes were knackered I though it made good sense to have the rear 21mm BAT bar with poly's installed to replace the original 18mm one. The BAR was not cheap to import from the states but it has truly improved the handling no end. and I cant wait to get stuck in and have all the other chassis mods done.

This is how the car looks now, you can see that a respray is very much needed:

Here is the BAT 21mm bar:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Glad to see you have started a diary, already loads of quality bits to go on, at least you know how it is going to handle once all fitted.
Will be keeping an eye on this with interest. as the 4x4's are few and far between and it's nice to see another one that is going to be well looked after to. Also with the Bat rear arb not many people with them.

Keep up the good work mate..

#8 ·
Thanks mate, after experiencing your car, I knew exactly how I wanted mine to be like. I am Looking forward to having all those parts installed and feeling all that grip and balance.

#3 ·
thats got the makings of an excellent project. There's a very good list of parts waiting to be fitted and it will be great to see this coming along!

#9 ·
Yeah I cant wait to take it to the shows next year once it will be near complete, this year I will be going to the shows in the Mk3.

#4 ·
Nice one
.. cant wait for you to come to Exeter in it and take Davey and myself for a spin haha .. got to remember the 2hr limit in the services though

#7 ·
yes will have to keep a tab on my parking times!

#5 ·
Thats a nice collection of parts you have there already.
Good to see another MK1 being brought back to life again.
Finding more that needs doing on mine - seem to be going backwards ATM.

Paint doesn't look that bad or at least on the rear end it doesn't.
Sure it won't come up with a machine polish?

#6 ·
The paint job is a certainty it really needs it, the bonnet, roof and boot lid need doing, however as I have Percy's old bonnet to paint and install anyway that's a no brainer, I can get another boot lid the same colour for peanuts so will be much cheaper than re spraying the current one, but the roof will be done at the same time as the bonnet.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks mate, I am hoping to get more done very soon (when time allows) It is nice to bring out the potential of the car and get used to how it feels / behaves when all done.

#12 ·
Cars like that would be starting to become quite scarce. Good find there. Mk1s never sold in huge numbers down here. Only LX and Ghia models were sold down here and most have seen the inside of a scrap shredder unfortunately

#13 ·
Just realized that you have a tow bar on there with a RS kit.
Didn't think they fitted without hacking the kit to bits.
Thats a result, means I can still get my bike rack on the back.
Any more pics?
Looks like yours may be the same colour as the one I have just got.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah the tow bar was on the car when I bought it, it will come off at some point as I have no need for it, but it is a pretty good way to protect the rear RS bumper from damage in case anyone parks too close the her.

I will add more pics over the next few days, you will see what I mean about the re spray being needed on the roof.

#15 ·
Bit manky is it?

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
the laquere is gone and the paint has become chalky / matt like, but no rust though.

#17 ·
My car went in for an MOT today (passed with no advisories) but as I had noticed a knocking sound coming from the rear ARB as the standard bushes were knackered I though it made good sense to have the rear 21mm BAT bar with poly's installed to replace the original 18mm one. The BAR was not cheap to import from the states but it has truly improved the handling no end. and I cant wait to get stuck in and have all the other chassis mods done.

Hi mate,

Good luck with the BAT ARB, keep your old bushes, because you'll need them...There is not enough space there.. the ARB prone to knock with the torsion. Even with 4 bushes I still have the knocking. Hopefully it's a slight rubber knocking, and not metal knocking anymore... but it's boring to hear. Sometime I think to get back to the 18mm....but I have to agree that this BAT ARB is an interesting improvement with road handling.
Could you take plenty of pictures when you swap yours ? And keep us up to date with how it works ?
You can throw an eye to my topic : BAT anti roll bar
If you find floflex bushes, could you let me know ? because floflex don't build them anymore.

You have a really nice mondeo !

#18 ·
Never had a problem with my 21mm bat roll bare, it's been on there over 2 years now, did squeek but that was down to the yank poly bushes, i fitted floflex ones and all good no more squeeking and never any knocks. Floflex never made the bushes i had mine custom made by them. Basically you just need normal poly mondeo rear anti roll bar bushes but with a 21mm hole in them.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)

Hi mate,

Good luck with the BAT ARB, keep your old bushes, because you'll need them...There is not enough space there.. the ARB prone to knock with the torsion. Even with 4 bushes I still have the knocking. Hopefully it's a slight rubber knocking, and not metal knocking anymore... but it's boring to hear. Sometime I think to get back to the 18mm....but I have to agree that this BAT ARB is an interesting improvement with road handling.
Could you take plenty of pictures when you swap yours ? And keep us up to date with how it works ?
You can throw an eye to my topic : BAT anti roll bar
If you find floflex bushes, could you let me know ? because floflex don't build them anymore.

You have a really nice mondeo !

[/quote]

I already have it fitted, it was fitted last week. I do hear an occasional kocking when driven over very bumpy roads, but 95% of the time I hear no knocking. It has made a nice improvement the car feels better balanced and it easier to attack corners, the supplied poly bushes have not started to squeak yet, but if they do as Davey says I will just swap them for the FloFlex ones drilled out to 21mm. Is your car fitted with the 19mm or the 21mm ARB ? I think your car would of had 16mm ARB so the 19mm would be better for your car. the Mk1 V6, TD and si models (including the 4x4 models) had the 18mm as standard.

#22 ·
I already have it fitted, it was fitted last week. I do hear an occasional kocking when driven over very bumpy roads, but 95% of the time I hear no knocking. It has made a nice improvement the car feels better balanced and it easier to attack corners, the supplied poly bushes have not started to squeak yet, but if they do as Davey says I will just swap them for the FloFlex ones drilled out to 21mm. Is your car fitted with the 19mm or the 21mm ARB ? I think your car would of had 16mm ARB so the 19mm would be better for your car. the Mk1 V6, TD and si models (including the 4x4 models) had the 18mm as standard.
I've the 21mm ARB, and my car was fitted with a 16mm initialy. Whatever was the previous ARB, the rear subframe is the same (except 4wd off course), so I haven't less space than a V6 or a TD.
But Davey, put the finger on something I should have thought before, the drop links. I remember I changed them, and I had to replace one rubber quickly. With the V6 brake system, I maybe have tear it again....I'll have an investigation soon

#20 ·
have you still got the standard rear drop links fitted ? as i don't think the old ford rubber bushes will be up to the new arb.. that might be your ocasional knock. When i first fitted mine it went on with standard drop links with superflex bushes and then when the rose jointed drop links arrived i swapped them. So never had mine fitted with standard drop link bushes

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, Will be fitting them next weekend, weather permitting that could well be it, but it is occasional so am not too concerned. Once the uprated DL's are on I will be able to say for certain.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Today I had my 19mm Front ARB polly bushed with Power flex bushes.

I also had my Wishbone's polly bushed (front 47mm and rear 60mm) with Power flex polly bushes.

#25 ·
Got my superflex rear ARB poly bushes (20mm fit) and poly droplinks last friday. But I don't know yet when I fit them. Hope metal noise will disappear with them

What's the improvement with Wishbone's polly bushed ? I thought 48mm (front) were not available anymore, and have been replaced by 54mm after 08/1999?

#24 ·
looking like an interesting project mate... liking the parts list too, gonna be 'tight'.
I quite fancy doing some suspension mods myself when funds permit. I have looked with interest at the rose jointed droplinks, my rears are the later type (look like mini dumbells) so i'll have to have a deeper search for that, being as i work in the fabrication industry and we have such things as the rose joints i wonder if i could create some custom droplinks... I have a set of old front ones i replaced as a template, so i can measure them up... I suppose i ought to see if i can find some rears to examine, or find a drawing of them.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
They make a big difference, when cornering the car's front end just points in the right direction, you can hoof it round a bend and turn in and grip is much better. steering feels better too.

Dont know about the 48mm ones? after 08 1999? they would not fit a mk1 anyway. Mine are front 47mm and rear 60mm but I have a spare set which are 46mm front and 54mm rear, I bought both sets as I wanted the absolute right size without having to wait and re order.

I am surprised your 20mm rear ARB polybushes fitted the 21mm BAT bar!

#27 ·
will keep my eye here as i am doing a very similar project!

When i get the chance to make a good start, i'll be here asking similar questions r.e. bushes etc

#28 ·
Is it time for an update yet? lol.

#29 ·
Good call

Not done much really, the remaining chassis mods and bits and pieces are still in my garage just waiting to be fitted, when both my pinch bolts had snapped whilst attempting fitment of my new suspension struts it has delayed me finishing the chassis, but I will get this done asap!

I have also a stand alone management ecu in my garage for use at a later date when I go for engine mods, it came complete with a Blacktop loom from a zetec turbo but I wont need the loom.

#30 ·
Just came across a thread about your lambda sensor, did swapping it out solve the issue?

#32 ·
I have a lot of stuff yet to fit, I have been hoarding it all in my garage! got my turbo parts ready to fit, an st200 interior ready to fit and my suspension upgrades ready to fit lol You can see the theme here, oh and I have Throttle boddies too, I am thinking of perhaps using TB's and the turbo, it can be done but I need to put in more resaerch before I do it, I think it would sound great, screaming and pppppppppppttttttttttttttccccccccchhhhhhhhh too!

#33 ·
I've never heard of throttle bodies AND a turbo used together! Two turbos in series or parallel or a supercharger feeding a turbo, sure, but it seems odd to put boost into throttle bodies. Just with ST200 interior (lovely) and the upgraded suspension it'll be a great ride. With added power it'll be spot-on, kinda like a certain other mk1 4x4 I've heard of...

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well it will need a lot of research first but the Honda boys have tried it:

http://www.ek9.org/f...urbo-setup.html

the intake pipe would need fabbing, so it goes to the 4 seperate throttle bodies rather than just the one as standard.

#34 ·
I wish it was a club I could join in on

#37 ·
dont go to Oz! stay here for a bit and get the car finished

#35 ·
yes Davey H has helped me a lot, tbh I remember reading in Fast Ford when his car was featured and I thought why not, he took me for a spin in his mk1 last year, and the pictures and spec does not do that car justice! it is blindingly good.

#47 ·
Cheers mate!!

Shame your not closer as i could pop round and give you a hand. I am sure you will get it all up and running, and it certianly will be differnt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.