Duvit

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo (2002)

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

Morning all

About a week ago i noticed a grinding noise comming from the back drivers side wheel .No problem i thought must need new pads but on takeing off the back pads they still have lots of meat left on em but changed em any way.

Put it all back together and now the noise is still there and also i have been told that you can see sparks when i'm driving and also it smells like the pads are gripping the disc a little to tight but whats confusing me is what could be grinding ?

Rear bearing maybe ??

Thanx in advance guys

p.s it's a 2002 mondeo 1.8 lx

#2 Mabok01

Mabok01

Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.

• Members
  • 3,001 posts
  • 257 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCI 130 2004
  • Name:Michael

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

Sparks! That's a new one.

If everything else has checked out then yes probably the bearing.

Is the disc excessively hot after a drive. There should be a bit of heat in them from normal driving but if it's really warm then the pads might be contacting the disc and not lifting back off when you release the pedal.

2004 Hatchback 130 TDCI Inkblue Mileage 443.000 Miles.

Genuine Ford fuel pump sprocket locking tool and pump mounting bolt tool for rent. Refundable deposit by Paypal required.

#3 anthmcm

anthmcm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK3 Mondeo
  • Name:Anthony

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

i would say wheel bearing also, i would doubt people will see sparks however a shot wheel bearing can glow because it has got so hot, when mine went it got so hot it melted the inside of the wheel trim and the hub expanded so much the wheel was stuck on fast.

the bearing is the whole rear hub and is not a very expensive part tbh i think it was around £60 - £70

#4 Duvit

Duvit

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo (2002)

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

After a drive the disc is a little warm but nothin out the ordinary. The only thing i can think of is maybe the handbrake is sticking and not releasing properly
When screwing the piston back in to the caliper it was a bit tight on the passenger side and when driving it does feel like the rear is binding slightly i.e the car struggles to free wheel but other than this i'm stumped.

I have noticed that when the weight transfers to the left side as in going round a right hander then the noise goes away.

#5 anthmcm

anthmcm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:MK3 Mondeo
  • Name:Anthony

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

when the car is jacked manually pull back the handbrake mechanism and then spin the wheel can you hear any noise? if yes i would again say look at the bearing..

to check the bearing whilst wheel is off the ground put one hand at the top and one at the bottom and pull it back and forth there should be very little play in the wheel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users