LookItsMe

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4 TDCi 125
  • Name:Alan

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

Ever since I got my car it's always had like a knocking noise, disappears when driving and when you press the clutch down, not a clue what this could be tbh with you.

Next is like above but it's not a knocking noise but sounds like a load of loose spanners in the gearbox or the gearbox has no fluid and is dry with all fhe cogs rubbing but disappears when you press the clutch.

Next it's the clutch pedal itself, it's a hard 1 to explain so bare with me.
It's forever changing pressure, sometimes it's soft, sometimes it's hard to press.
Also the clutch like dips down so you press the whole clutch pedal down and the last inch was the biting point, sometimes got stuck down with that last bit then after driving with that for about half hour the clutch dipped to the biting point so I wedged my foot under and pulled it up and was back to normal, this has happened twice now.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

#2 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 278 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:04 Zetec130TDCi Eur3
  • Name:peter scott

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Unfortunately it sounds like it could be your dual mass flywheel failing. If so, it's best to replace flywheel clutch plate and cover and release bearing.

Peter

F-Super Information ..................TDCi Injector Information

TDCi Injector Cleaning................Injector Leak-Off Test

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

#3 chris bowman

chris bowman

Megger

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Unfortunately it sounds like it could be your dual mass flywheel failing. If so, it's best to replace flywheel clutch plate and cover and release bearing.

Peter

dont forget the slave cylinder in the gearbox aswell while ure at it particularly as u have varying pressures at the clutch pedal

chris bowman

#4 DutchKev

DutchKev

lovin' the V6

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.5 V6 mondeo ghia X

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

and check the starter motor aswell

You can lead a fool to wisdom - But you can't make him think

Was my post helpful? Don't forget to use the thanks system on the right!

#5 LookItsMe

LookItsMe

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thanks all for the replies, I seriously have no clue, this thing what I thought was the gear box but will defo need a lot more looking into.

#6 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 278 thanks

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

dont forget the slave cylinder

Slave cylinder and release bearing are one and same part in these cars.

Peter

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

#7 LookItsMe

LookItsMe

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

It's gone really hard the past 2 days, don't think it's the clutch as ain't slipping,
What at the problems to look out for the failing of the dual mass flywheel?
Also could it be the slave cylinder is becoming stiff and need a bit of greasing up with WD40?
Would I need something like this 250807804623 ???
Regards Alan

#8 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • 278 thanks

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi Alan,

That looks like the correct kit but beware as there are two types of flywheel with different crank position sensor teeth patterns.
See: http://www.talkford....r-now-no-start/

I've no experience of DMF failure so it's probably best to do a search of the forum to discover common symptoms but apart from vibration other symptoms include metal particles from the failing centre bearing causing eventual failure of the starter motor and engine cutting out due to misreading by the crank position sensor.

I don't think there is much scope for doing anything to the release bearing without removing the gearbox. I don't think lubrication is your issue. The changing feel of the clutch pedal is most likely due to the clutch assembly not being rigidly held on the fixed part of the flywheel due to the centre bearing failure.
Peter

#9 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  • 362 thanks

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

It's gone really hard the past 2 days, don't think it's the clutch as ain't slipping,
What at the problems to look out for the failing of the dual mass flywheel?
Also could it be the slave cylinder is becoming stiff and need a bit of greasing up with WD40?
Would I need something like this 250807804623 ???
Regards Alan

HI Alan ..unfourtunetly there is no magic fix for clutch problems and wishful thinking and wd 40 is not the answer ..the answer is first to have a mech.look and confirn that the clutch dash ...dmf dash thrust bearing combined slave cylinder are All suspect .and no mechanic worth his salt would consider stripping the gbox out of a mondeo without replacing all these parts because if you dont and you put it all bak together and find one of the othe parts are gone then its all back out again ..so no easy fix for this repeat post ...the job will cost around seven hundred to a thousand quid ..depending on how and who you decide to do it ..s

#10 siruncle

siruncle

missing the "view new content" button

• Regional Moderator
  • 16,093 posts
  • 983 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.0 ghia mk2
  • Name:Pete

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

might be worth pulling the crank sensor to check if its gone "hedgehog" with dmf filings? as above though, tbh, if you're not sure whats wrong with it, take it to someone who does, and ask for a quote, then shop around.

From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/
2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now needing a pair of front jacking point covers... msg me

Ever noticed that putting "anal" in front of some ford model names makes them sound funny? Fiesta, Probe, Ranger. Explorer, Maverick etc... lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users