#1 nutznutz

nutznutz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Adam Nutton

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

How easy is it to change the glow plugs on a 2005 Mondeo TDCI?

along with the wire assambly underneath (part number 1150122)

This apears to be the cause of the car not starting right, but also something has got that hot that its damaged the main conection to the wiring harness.

Any help and advice would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Adam (see attached)

Attached Files

#2 mondeonz

mondeonz

Member-at-Large, Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4.5 TDCI

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

I had all 4 glow plugs changed on my 05 TDCi few months back, during a regular service at 180.000 km.
Even though I am reasonably handy and like DIY option for some repairs, I had it done by a local Ford service center, as this is best done by professionals (imho).

The procedure itself is not too complicated - need to disconnect the car battery and remove inlet manifold b4 you can get a clear access to glow plugs.
Undo glow plugs and replace them with new ones. Fit all back as it was.
This is very simplified, but that's all there is to it, provided you have proper tools and space to do it.

Should not be overly expensive either, as glow plugs are like 10-12 quid a piece + labor (1 hour tops).

The problem is in possible complications, mostly the fact that glow plugs have a tendency to "stick" and can be very difficult to undo.
It is not uncommon that the glow plug breaks during removal, and then the real party starts.....
You can use lots of WD40 or CRC and such to soak the glow plug prior to undoing them - that helps loosen the threads.
There seems to be quite a few threads on this subject on the Forum - do a quick search.
Mondeo Mk3 09/2005 TDCi 130 Turnier Carving (+CH), DuraShift 5-tronic, Diamond White
Mondeo Mk4.5 06/2011 2.0 TDCi 163, Wagon ZETEC (+AUS), PowerShift, Panther Black
Focus Mk3 09/2012 1.6 Ti-VCT 125, Hatch Ambiente (+AUS), 5-speed manual, Ingot Silver

#3 harlowhammer

harlowhammer

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo st tdci

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Glow plugs are quite easy to change only the inlet manifold to remove to access the glow plugs, HOWEVER the glow plugs are prone to seizing in the head. so removal needs to be tackled gently, Because if you snap one its going to be costly . I would replace the loom first as that looks shot.
2007 Ford Mondeo st 2.2 tdci in perfomance blue

#4 nutznutz

nutznutz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Adam Nutton

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Glow plugs are quite easy to change only the inlet manifold to remove to access the glow plugs, HOWEVER the glow plugs are prone to seizing in the head. so removal needs to be tackled gently, Because if you snap one its going to be costly . I would replace the loom first as that looks shot.

Hi there thanks for this, had a look and seems straight forward,

They are proposing to repair the main loom, as it would be an expensive job to replace the main one, just hope its the plugs that have caused this resistance

Thanks

Adam

#5 asti

asti

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:03 Mondeo TDCI
  • Name:Luca

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

Very easy job to change glow plugs, done mine last year, as they other guys said, they are prone to seizing though, so take it easy, have a read of the wiki "how to change glow plugs guide". Some spot on advice, follow that, and you will be ok, also have a look at the big yellow 60amp fuse(glow plug fuse) in the fuse box, next to battery, this is prone to blowing when you have glow plugs problem. If it has blown don't change it till after you have put in the new plugs.

#6 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37,014 posts
  • 388 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tddi

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

i wouldnt say how easy it is id go for how patient you can be check out the wiki for glowplug removal i strongly urge you read it before touching them
51 plate ghia x tddi with extra oomph

Boost Pressure = ((MAP x 10) - BARO)/6.895 (use with F-Super readings)

My Blog http://abitoveverything.blogspot.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users