#1 nskeates

nskeates

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 130bhp tdci

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hello,

how long should it take to change a front coil spring on a 2002 Tdci ? what sort of job is it ?

thanks

#2 bumdump1

bumdump1

GTR Manchester Meet Organiser

• Members
  • 1,724 posts
  • 93 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Matt

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

2-3 hours depending on fast and confident you are, double if not so!

Its not particular hard to do just laborious task - Loosen hub nut, wheel off, caliper and disc off, hub nut off, track rod off, ball joint pinch bolt out, lower the subframe on that side, drive shaft out the hub, ball joint out the knuckle, 4 bolts inside the engine bay and you can now remove the strut with knuckle, use spring compressors and remove the spring....reverse!

Haynes manual and a weekend should see you right in most cases, just watch for bolt heads shearing/rounding, track rods threads can snap and very easy to chew the thread on the pinch bolt but can get bought cheap enough before you start, its mainly labour costs if getting a garage to do it, so I offset the costs on changing a few other things like the track rods, bolts+nuts and tools etc.

Ford Mondeo Mk3 Estate Automatic in Oyster Silver - Modified and Upgraded

Common faults and guides for most Fords can be found in the:- TalkFord Wiki Guide

Ford Etis Online Technical Information:- Ford Etis

Greater Manchester Regional Group

Covering Stockport, Tameside, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Bolton, Wigan, Salford, Trafford

#3 Hopsterhop

Hopsterhop

Little Megger

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

I did this a bit different, I didn’t touch the subframe, drive shaft or ball joint.

If you use the spring compressors you can compress the strut enough to get the bottom out, worked for me.
04 TDCI ZETEC S 130ps PANTHER BLACK

#4 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mondeo Mk3 Moderator

• Members
  • 15,974 posts
  • 745 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Estate, TDCI 130 (6)

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

POPULAR

If you dont have spring compressors it maybe cheaper to pay someone to do it rather than buy or hire
the compressors.

And whatever you do avoid the cheapo compressors, Mate had some and they were only 12 or 15mm
diameter and you should have seen the bend on them, I stood well back when he used them.

He borrowed mine many years back and i have never seen them since. Mine could be clamped onto the spring
at each end which stopped them slipping.
  • Hopsterhop likes this

2004 TDCi 130 LX Estate. (6)

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ......... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE ........... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

#5 Hopsterhop

Hopsterhop

Little Megger

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

good advice from Purple_2L_LX.

not a hard job if you have correct tools
04 TDCI ZETEC S 130ps PANTHER BLACK

#6 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5,449 posts
  • 361 thanks

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

HI NKEATS.. The most common part to go on the mark three esp. since the local autoritys in their wisdom have deemed it perferct traffic control to fit killer ramps everywhere .. doing this job can be a doddle or a scurge ..but there is a cheat .. dont bother buying and fitting a new spring requiring spring compressors and skill.. just buy the complete strut ..from a breakers . this means the spring is already on there and you simply have to drop the hub .let go the two bolts which hold the hub to the strut .. let go the drop link. let go the three retaining nuts on top from inside the enginne bay ..and your practicallly there . ..wrereass if you buy a new spring you still have to let go the strut and take it out ..but you have to compress the spring onto the old strut . and heree i have come across the probable cause of some spring breaks ... the bottom or the spring retainer on the strut bends and the spring overlaps the end stop .. sooo i think its even a better job to replace the whole strut.. s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users