Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Mondeo 2011/12 No side Lights?

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  apollogary 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum so a big hello to you all.
I have a new (61 plate) mondeo Titanium 2L 163BHP estate.
I noticed that it didnt have any side lights on appart from the Daytime running light that go dimm when the side lights are switced on!!

So as it was due its first service ( I do loads of miles) I took it to Ford.

On collecting it they told me thats how they were and didnt have side lights just the DRL's at half intensity.!!!! WHAT!!???

I was sure I have seen the side lights on prior to noticing it didnt have any???

any experts can offer any advise on this one??

the tail lights come on when the side lights are switched on.

Many Thanks

Confused and gob smacked mondeo driver

#2 ·
DRLs replacing the parking lights (or side lights, as you Brits call it) is not something unique to the Mondeo, or to Ford for that matter.
The same is the case with other European car manufacturers, due to EU directives governing this area.

You can get a Mk4.5 without the DRLs too in some markets (including Ireland).
In those cases, there's a grille fitted in each of the slots under the headlamps, where the DRLs normally go.
As far as I've understood, such cars would come with parking lights in the headlamp housing.

Also, if you park up somewhere on the roadside, turn off the engine and lights, and then turn the indicator stalk to the side facing the road
(if the behaviour hasn't changed from Mk4 to Mk4.5), the DRL facing the road should light up at reduced intensity, along with the tail light on the same side.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I find the name "sidelights" quite misleading. Most other European countries call them parking lights.
This is specifically because they're not meant to be used when driving, only when parked up on the roadside.
(This is probably also why the DRLs go dim when you put the switch in sidelight mode)

I do agree with your comments about the ones who do drive around with only them on, though.

#4 ·
Makes me laugh as you see cars with DRL's and people put the sidelights on in rain which actually makes them less visible!

What do Ford put in place of the slidelight bulb on DRL models?

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Correct SteveyG is bang on.
You are supposed to and can drive with just sidelights on in built up areas. :)

My point is that the DRL's are on very bright wihtout the swicth to side lights which means you also dont get any rear lights without the side lights on.
when you turn on the switch you get dimm DRL's and tail lights. Needed at times. But you would have thought that the DRl's would come on bright and not dimmer.

I also agree you need to be seen guys.

The set up seems wrong.- like max said why make the DRL;s dimmer when you put your lights on to make yourself more visable.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
The set up seems wrong.- like max said why make the DRL;s dimmer when you put your lights on to make yourself more visable.
The reasoning is that the DRLs are actually very bright, but effectively unfocused. To be visible in daylight they must be bright, but they are too dazzling at night time to other drivers at the same brightness.

In 'dim' mode, they are still as bright as normal 5W incandescent lamps in my opinion

#11 ·
you can just pull out the cap and fit a bulb and holder. The wire is not present in the headlamp plug though, so needs to be added. Not sure if the sidelight wire is in the main loom going into the plug anymore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.