Photo

what bulb type interior and exterior please?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37,014 posts
  • 388 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tddi

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

i need a list of bulb types for mk3 mondeo hatch i looked in the wiki some were there but not all and some confused me so ill put my list below and specifics.

numberplate lights festoon type?
tail light 5w golf ball head says r5w on the holder thing but when i looked them up on ebay theres more than one but i think they are 207?
front interior light festoon but what type? also preface maplight bulb type? and rear preface interior bulb type?
boot light bulb?

thanks in advance
51 plate ghia x tddi with extra oomph

Boost Pressure = ((MAP x 10) - BARO)/6.895 (use with F-Super readings)

My Blog http://abitoveverything.blogspot.co.uk

#2 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Steve

• Members
  • 3,670 posts
  • 125 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

try this and fill in your details, it gives the bulbs needed
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/
Mondeo 06 Panther Black tdci 115 Estate lx (becoming more).
Already fitted:
Sony mp3 radio, Uv shades all round, Wind deflectors, Front Fogs, Flyeyes on taillights, Reversing camera and monitor in mirror(homemade setup £35), C-max sunglasses holder, Rear leccy windows and appropriate door cards, Led strips in footwells and boot area, full sized spare, rear courtesy roof light, led indicator strip front and indicator/sidelights and brake, puddle lights, led spot light on towbar, white led strip behind rad grill to come on with sidelights, and a few more besides
Waiting to be fitted
To be decided

#3 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37,014 posts
  • 388 thanks

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

thanks doesnt list them all though :( and some have 2 sizes/types available

#4 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,597 posts
  • 326 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2001 1.8 Mk3 Mondeo

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

regplate is 36mm festoon ( but you can squeeze larger in if needed - i think mine are 39mm or have been in the past )

front main light / boot light & rear festoon are all good from 38-42mm if memory serves ( plenty of movement in the fittings to allow for whatever size you choose in that range )

front maplights will be BA9s ( & these will cause you issues if ur going LED as you have to buy either NON-polar or reverse wired LEDs due to ford wiring the light units backwards

cant comment on the tail lights for 2 reasons, estate has differing bulbs for the most part in the taillights & 2nd i aint have only had to replace one tail light bulb since getting my mota & i just wonderd into a shop with it in hand & got a new one handed to me :}

Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

#5 Mondy55

Mondy55

TF regular

• Validating
  • 849 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:-

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

front maplights will be BA9s ( & these will cause you issues if ur going LED as you have to buy either NON-polar or reverse wired LEDs due to ford wiring the light units backwards

I bought a bunch of them off of eBay, took them apart and rewired them:

1. Clamp the bulb carefully with a pair of pliers and lay it on a bench, with the terminal facing upwards.
2. Heat the terminal with a soldering iron, and remove it with a solder sucker, revealing a hole where the terminal used to be.
3. Pull the bulb apart.
4. Cut about an inch off an old paperclip, and solder it onto the short wire.
5. Cut the paperclip to the same length as the other wire.
6. Trim down the long wire so it's roughly the same as the short wire originally was.
7. Put the bulb back together, the paperclip should slightly protrude through the hole.
8. Add a dollop of solder to rebuild the terminal.

If you're OK with a soldering iron this is a two minute job.

#6 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37,014 posts
  • 388 thanks

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

are all map lights the same then? i have preface maplights im sure theres 2 other light units with maplights. i got the ones with clear lens on the maplight part

#7 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,597 posts
  • 326 thanks

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

if you have pre-facelift interior lights then you only have BA9s maplights ( only BA9s in pre-facelift front maplights - no rear light unit with maplights in pre-facelift mondies as standard if memory serves )

if you have a facelift mota then the front light with sensors have 501's & rears BA9s for maplights

if you have upgraded to other lighting units ( ie mk4 mondy or fiesta / focus then ur in the facelift camp with the 2 choices so best to chip out the lights to double check :} - OK ur probably only gunna be 501 iwth newer stuff but best to check as ford will no doubt stick in an odd one with the BA9s bulbs just to get on ur nerves is you assume :} )

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

#8 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37,014 posts
  • 388 thanks

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

cheers. mines what came with the car, its a ghia x so ba9's then.

just need the tail light 5w and the numberplate lights now :)

ordered white 501 led's for sidelights and green 501's for 4 footwell lights, glovebox light and im going to try putting green ones in the centre rear brake lights red green red etc just to see what it does lol if it looks good ill keep them to be different. not sure how it will come out through the red but ill soon find out.

#9 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,597 posts
  • 326 thanks

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

cheers. mines what came with the car, its a ghia x so ba9's then.

just need the tail light 5w and the numberplate lights now :)

ordered white 501 led's for sidelights and green 501's for 4 footwell lights, glovebox light and im going to try putting green ones in the centre rear brake lights red green red etc just to see what it does lol if it looks good ill keep them to be different. not sure how it will come out through the red but ill soon find out.

regplate is 36mm festoon ( but you can squeeze larger in if needed - i think mine are 39mm or have been in the past )

front main light / boot light & rear festoon are all good from 38-42mm if memory serves ( plenty of movement in the fittings to allow for whatever size you choose in that range )

cant comment on the tail lights for 2 reasons, estate has differing bulbs for the most part in the taillights & 2nd i aint have only had to replace one tail light bulb since getting my mota & i just wonderd into a shop with it in hand & got a new one handed to me :}

as for the green in the high level brake light then doubt you will get very far unless they are mega blinders as the red plastic will filter out pretty much all the light from the green leds ( well they did with white & even red leds bough that were supposed to be high powered ones from ebay for a fellow member many years ago which is why i still have filament bulbs in my motas rear end at the minute.

when i finally get round to LEDs in the rear end ( looking at it now but only for pricing :} - still parts hunting at the minute so i can send em off for looking at LED'ing ) the LEDs will be custom made blinders in suitable colours for the lot at the back so the price wont be pretty but the results will be :D

#10 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37,014 posts
  • 388 thanks

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

found the numberplate ones theyre 38-39mm so same as yours i expect.

as for brake light i ordered 10 green 501's as i need atleast 5 and they came in either 1, 4 or 10. and 10 was slightly more than 4 from the same company so if theyre no good it dont matter lol.

i want a 5w bulb not led as i know messing with led's in the tail cluster aint always straight forward and im happy with bulbs anyway. its got a golf ball head i cant seem to find the right one. plenty 5w/21w on ebay but thats not what im after and those bulbs are much bigger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users