teulk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:FOCUS
  • Name:Steve G.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:32 AM

As the title says really, i will be changing the Heater Control Valve in my wifes 1.4 2001 fiesta. Im sure there will be some coollant loss and it will need bleeding. Ive trawled the net and cant find any answers really. Are there any bleed points ? do i just leave the cap off and run the engine ? Do I just run the engine and let it bleed itself via the expansion tank ? Thanks

#2 Mondy55

Mondy55

TF regular

• Validating
  • 849 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:-

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

As the title says really, i will be changing the Heater Control Valve in my wifes 1.4 2001 fiesta. Im sure there will be some coollant loss and it will need bleeding. Ive trawled the net and cant find any answers really. Are there any bleed points ? do i just leave the cap off and run the engine ? Do I just run the engine and let it bleed itself via the expansion tank ? Thanks

The air will always get stuck in the highest point it can get to, so normally the expansion tank is the place to go. Just remove the lid and run the car for a good 20-30 minutes so it gets nice and hot (hot enough for the thermostat to open/close as well so as to let trapped air out). Keep an eye on the coolant level as it will go down as air comes out and might need topping up. Afterwards, wait until the car is completely cold and check the coolant level again, just to be sure.

#3 siruncle

siruncle

missing the "view new content" button

• Regional Moderator
  • 16,046 posts
  • 982 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.0 ghia mk2
  • Name:Pete

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

while the engine is running, you can also squeeze the hoses to help the air get out, but if you do do this, ensure that you have nothing hanging (hair, loose clothing, necklaces etc) and that there are no moving or hot parts where you're putting your hand to squeeze the hoses, the top hose and bottom hose on the radiator are good ones to do, as they tend to move the water round a bit more due to them being a bit bigger than the others, other ones to go for are the ones that go through the bulkhead, to the heater, they are usually close together on the bulkhead, its also a good idea to run the heater on max speed, max temp and blowing into car when you do this, if the air is coming through lovely and hot then hopefully the heater "circuit" has no air in it. :L

From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/
2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now needing a pair of front jacking point covers... msg me

Ever noticed that putting "anal" in front of some ford model names makes them sound funny? Fiesta, Probe, Ranger. Explorer, Maverick etc... lol

#4 churchy1987

churchy1987

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Fiesta Mark 4 and 5 are hard to bleed as the expansion tank is not the highest point the heater control value is. I have found the only way to bleed them correctly is to use a 2l coke bottle and place in the header tank make a seal around the tank and use that as the highest point you will be amazed at how much air will bubble out. Hope this helps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users