10 replies to this topic

#1 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

My route to work is mainly dual carriageway and the first part is downhill. With a cold engine, I will gently accellerate up to about 70mph and then go into top (sixth) gear. At that point, when I am using just a trace of throttle to maintain speed, there will be a quite noticable misfire.

It goes away if I open the throttle more and seems to occur less if the engine is warm. At first, I thought it might be unique to my machine (58, 75K) but a friend's company recently purchased a new one and that does the same.

Anyone else?

Is this likely to be a mapping problem? (Fuel filter changed) Is it a potential cause for the DMF failures? Certainly not doing the drivetrain any good.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

#2 kisbell

kisbell

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Titanium1.8TDCI
  • Name:Kevin

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

My car does this i have had the fuel filter changed still does it.

#3 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Gold Member
  • 2,451 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2008 Mondeo Titanium
  • Name:Sam

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

I cruise at 60mph in 6th and never noticed it.
Can you tell me if you hold your revs at 1300rpm in neutral, does your car vibrate? My cars going back under warrnety to have this sorted next week.

2008 Ford Mondeo Titanium 1.8 TDCi (125ps)

133,000miles and counting.

#4 kisbell

kisbell

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Titanium1.8TDCI
  • Name:Kevin

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

No vibrating 1300revs it shakes between 50-60mph over 60 the shaking stops

#5 Lee_R

Lee_R

Little Megger

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:1.8 tdci estate
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 47.981

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

It sounds like something I get occasionaly happen. When it does occur I do think it could be the fuel filter but with you having changed yours, maybe not.

Due to it only being occasional I've not thought too much about it. I'll mention it to my mechanic friend and see what the says.
2007 Mk4 Mondeo Estate 1.8 TDCI Zetec.

#6 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

No vibration in neutral for me. It's a very specific set of conditions: cold engine, top gear, light throttle. I'll maybe rephrase the description of what goes on - there is a severe jerking which can be stopped by either opening or closing the throttle from where it is.

#7 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Gold Member
  • 2,451 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2008 Mondeo Titanium
  • Name:Sam

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Had my vibration looked at today. It's totally normal and artificial. It's there to stop people driving the car too low in the rev range.
You should have a slight vibration if you hold the revs about 1300rpm.

2008 Ford Mondeo Titanium 1.8 TDCi (125ps)

133,000miles and counting.

#8 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Upon further reflection, I think I may have found an answer. I have noticed that my engine is also very rattly at low revs. Goes away sharply at about 2000rpm. Combined with the misfire in top gear at low revs/light throttle, is it possible that the injector timing is at fault? May this also explain the disappointiing fuel consumption? If so, any recommendations for rectification?

#9 jrooney1991

jrooney1991

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 1.8 TDCI
  • Name:James Rooney

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Upon further reflection, I think I may have found an answer. I have noticed that my engine is also very rattly at low revs. Goes away sharply at about 2000rpm. Combined with the misfire in top gear at low revs/light throttle, is it possible that the injector timing is at fault? May this also explain the disappointiing fuel consumption? If so, any recommendations for rectification?

You have all the symptoms of my engine to a T. Exact same conditions and misfire. Although mine is a bit less frequent by the sounds of things. Over the last year it has spent a good few weeks at the dealer, and a couple of days with a diesel tuning company.

I have a 2008 mondeo 125 lynx engine like yourself. I was met with "can't see anything wrong" and "scanner reads nothing" despite having an obvious warning light when the car coughed itself into limp home mode!!!

Anyway, the one cherry of advise I did get from this, is that the injectors on this model are a bit on the crap side, and have been known to go very early on in the engine's life. (Mines coughed all the way to 58 thousand miles...)

The guy at the independent place said I should expect to change the set at some point in the not so distant future, but shouldn't focus on this because "the power steering rack normally fails first"

FORDS! WHO'D HAVE ONE!

#10 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Cleaned the MAF sensor last week.  Rattle severely reduced.  Possibly poorer fuel consumption, though.  Too early to tell, yet.  Looking for the air charge temp sensor to do next but not found it so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users