News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Ford Mondeo Mk3 Starter Motor Problem - Any Ideas ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob UK

Rob UK

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2l tdci
  • Name:Rob Miller

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi

I'm getting really frustrated over this one. I recently had my Ford mondeo 02 ) dual mass flywheel replaced and the starter motor as it had been damaged (turned over very slowly ). Car was fine for about a month and then I started to get a different problem with the starter motor. Basically intermittantly I turn the key and all I hear is a click and nothing else happens. (Battery has also been replaced recently ) Unfortunately for me the guy who fitted the starter motor went out of business so I fitted another starter motor ( A brand new genuine Ford one ) I wrongly assumed the recon motorcraft fitted was a duff one with a sticking solenoid. A couple of weeks later the same thing happened when I was leaving work and the starter just clicked doing exactly the same thing. Bizarely my work mate sat on the wing of the car and bounced it a little and the starter turned over ??? Its been ok since and then my wife used the car to go shopping today and it clicked again. She told me she rocked the car inside and the starter suddenly started turning over again.

Surley I can't have a second starter faulty with exactly the same fault. ?

Can anything else be causing this ??

Thanks

Rob

#2 4titx

4titx

Over Enthusiastic

• Gold Member
  • 5,374 posts
  • 206 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 4 Titx
  • Name:Phil

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Is the click loud, i.e not a relay?

Do the dash lights dim at all when you try and start.
LEDs, whats your Watts.
2.0 TDCi TitX in Hypnotic Silver

Dont thank me, thank him. I'm just the messenger.

#3 Rob UK

Rob UK

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2l tdci
  • Name:Rob Miller

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

Is the click loud, i.e not a relay?

Do the dash lights dim at all when you try and start.

4titx

I'd have to check and get back to you when it next happens ref the lights dimming. The click isn't very loud and have to admit it doesn't sound like its coming from the starter motor unit. ( could be a relay ). The next time it occurs I was going to try and get my test meter probes on the motor connections to try and figure out what's happening ( or not happening ) I had my meter on the starter today with the ignition off and noticed there is a permanent 12v feed to one of the connections. I'm assuming the earth return to the battery is via the motor case and engine block ? and the other connection is the switchable 12v via the ignition.

can you confirm the above is right and if so... if there is a relay inbetween where is it located ?

thanks

Rob

#4 neil8520

neil8520

Little Megger

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo zetec 2.0

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

I had this problem as well, one day the car would be fine and the next day all i get is clicking from the starter motor,
i even put on a new battery and still the same problem. It turned out to be the alternator was draining the battery. best thing to do is get the car started switch everything on as in lights, AC heated front and rear windows and the check the voltage on the battery, when i checked mine it was showing 10v then dropped to 8.5 volts

If its ok and showing 13-14v at least you know your alternator isn't the problem, process by elimation
My imaginative friend thinks you have a problem !

#5 michael1988

michael1988

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

Also check the connection to the starter motor could just be a loose wire as daft as it sounds or a corroding earth point

#6 car-nut-86

car-nut-86

TF regular

• Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Galaxy Zetec
  • Name:CJ

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

I HAVE this problem as too lazy to sort it at the moment. If it is intermittent check wires going to the starter motor! Mine isn't bolted on tight enough! Could be that whoever changed the starter motor didn't connect the wire correctly.

My Daily Runner & Top Project: 1999 Black Ford Galaxy Zetec MK1 2.3 Manual

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users