Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Estate
  • Name:Derick Davies

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

POPULAR

Noisy and poor quality speakers sound need not cost you much to rectify! I wonder how many owners have replaced their door speakers in vain, just to discover the same problem persists, well here is the answer for a total outlay of about £3.
Remove the door panel - as described on other post on this forum board, it should take about 10 minutes to remove and get access to the speaker on each door, remove the 3 self securing screws that hold the speaker to the door, use small "o" rings attach 2 on each side of each of the screws before replacing and securing the speaker back onto the door, be careful not to over tighten. By doing this you will have put a buffers between both the screw and the door frame, the will stop vibration.
  • danwfastford and mfreeman like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
mfreeman

#2 mfreeman

mfreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo TiT X

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

thanks for a great post but could you point me in the right direction for the parts so ive got the correct bits to do this job

thanks again
matthew

#3 costeau

costeau

Dirty old Megger

• Gold Member
  • 1,246 posts
  • 80 thanks
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

POPULAR

I agree, as long as the speakers aren't damaged by water ingress.
I did replace those a while back, but now I plan on fitting some better, aftermarket ones, when I get some time to fit an amp rack in the boot.

I'll be using MDF spacer rings (as the aftermarket speakers don't have this plastic spacer collar) and Silent Coat dampening mats, so the speakers will have a similar form of dampener.
I'll also fit a back-wave diffusor behind each speaker, if I can figure out how to do so without disrupting the window mechanism.

My solution might cost more than 3 quid, but I believe the result is worth it.
  • westermanford likes this

Mondeo Mk4 2008 (BA7) saloon 2.0 TDCi 130 PS (well, 152 PS with the Bluefin installed) Zetec Auto (TF-80/81SC)
Speedo cluster type 1, firmware: 0246
Audio system: Alpine iXA-W407BT (aftermarket)

#4 westermanford

westermanford

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I will be very interested in how you get on with this project. I think it's common knowledge amongst Mondeo mk4 owners that the factory fitted door speakers and not the greatest. I will look to upgrade at some stage, meanwhile I'll keep an eye out on your progress as a guidance to the way forward.

Regards

Derick

#5 200_ponies

200_ponies

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2.2 x sport
  • Name:rob hooper

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

changing my door speakers on the Mk4, I have to cut off the plug to the speaker, what colours are the + and - ??

#6 rdlangy1

rdlangy1

rdlangy1

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4 Tit X

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Anyone recommend a good replacement speaker for the mk4 that goes straight in?
Ford Mondeo MK4 Titanium X:
- Thunder Grey
- 18" Alloys
- Adaptive Front Headlights
- Spoiler
- LED Puddle, number plate, and interior lights (thanks Phil!)

#7 westermanford

westermanford

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

you will need to check the polarity of the speakers, do the following: attach two temporary single wire to each of the two speaker terminals, with the bear end of each of the two wires touch each end of a AA battery, you will need to see the cone movement of the speaker to go inwards and not outwards, when this happens choose the wire that works this function on the + AA battery side as being the positive connection for the speaker. Do the same for all the other speakers so that the polarity is the same for them all. This also stander-dices the impedance so that they all match each other ie all speaker cones move in the same direction.

#8 jon67

jon67

Little Megger

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

I've put duck tape over the top of the speaker housing of mine to stop water dripping down the inside of the door and ruining the rear door speaker. Having had 2 speakers ruined by water ingress this solution has worked fine on the new ones installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users