italianstallion

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 1.8 TDCI MK4
  • Name:Fraser

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I noticed yesterday that fuel was leaking around my cars fuel injector, the one furthest right when facing the car. It appears the fuel is leaking out of the leak off pipe coming into the injector, so I'm assuming its not fuel tight. I cable tied the pipe tight to the injector but its still leaking, so its definitely not loose, perhaps just a seal has worn away at the leak off pipe connector or a poor original design?

I read another forum post here - http://www.talkford....tdci-fuel-leak/ that sounds similar to my issue.

The chap recommends buying a seal and clip pack, part numbers/F1673574 and F1364302. I cannot find any references to these numbers searching online to orders, so I'm assuming that if I go into ford they will have them listed on their computers?

Can anyone who's had a similar issue advise if this is the correct fix?

Edited by italianstallion, 03 February 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#2 501

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:focus tdci

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

I had the same problem on my Focus 1.8 tdci, and change the o rings with part number F1673574, they are about 50p each.

My car has Siemens injectors, so worth checking your car is fitted with the same.

#3 italianstallion

italianstallion

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I had the same problem on my Focus 1.8 tdci, and change the o rings with part number F1673574, they are about 50p each.

My car has Siemens injectors, so worth checking your car is fitted with the same.

Yep it has Siemens injectors, I'll definitely get 4 tomorrow. Are the o rings easy to fit, the R type clip at the rear look a bit tricky to remove?

#4 italianstallion

italianstallion

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

POPULAR

Ok I've done the job this morning and the leak is fully fixed. The R Clips cost £2.54 each and the part number is - 1364302. The "O" rings cost £0.53 each and the part number is - 1673574. Add on VAT for both. You need two "O" rings for each injector and one clip, however your existing clips can be re-used, but best to buy a couple of spares in case you drop one down the engine bay like I did. The job is quite straight forward, the tricky bit is re-fitting the R Clip due to the space you have to work.

How To :

Step 1) Remove the original R clip and remove the black leak off connector from the injector. This should be self explanatory, the clip comes off fairly easily and the connector just pulls away.

Step 2) Next take a look at the black leak off connector and you will see two groves, these are wear the new "O" rings are placed. The original "O" rings on mine, had completely perished. Slide the new "O" rings over the connector until they slot flush into the groves. With this done the leak off connector is now ready to be re-inserted.

Step 3) The tricky bit. Re-fitting the R Clip is a bit of a pig as there is hardly any room to work (think key whole surgery and your not far off). If you drop it, it will fall down into the engine bay and most likely be lost forever (I managed to do this with my original clip). The job is best done when the engine is cold so you don't burn your hands.

The best way to tackle the job, is to re-insert the clip before re-attaching the leak off connector. To do this, slide the clip through the tiny whole at the rear of the injector. Next very slow and carefully, leaver the clip round until it slots into its bracket. Doing this requires some pressure and gentle movement, you will need to pull the bottom of the clip hard to get it over the bracket, but take your time and all will be good.

With the clip is finally in place, you can now insert the black leak off connector. You may need to leaver the bottom end of the clip again to allow enough space to get the leak off connection through. It should all eventually click together. Once all appears to be in place check the assembly for tightness. Your done.

Extra Tip - For extra strength you can wrap a strong cable tie round the injector and leak off connector to ensure an even tighter fit and to act as a fail safe should the R clip ever come loose and fall out.

The whole job takes 5 to 10 mins dependant on how much difficulty you have refitting the R clip. It would be worth doing the job when replacing a faulty Injector and obviously much easier fitting the R Clip, as there would be more space to work with the injectors out.

Hope this helps a few people, I'm sure more "O" rings will need doing as these cars age and pile on the miles.

Edited by italianstallion, 04 February 2013 - 11:38 AM.

• Steve76111, pperhac and spedge like this

Thanked by 4 Members:
spedge , pperhac , Cowbertto , fester1

#5 fester1

fester1

Vauxhall insurgent

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Thanks very much for the guide… nice work :L

#6 olenka

olenka

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo IV 1.8 TDCI
  • Name:Aleks

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

POPULAR

Hi, I am new here but I have the same problem. Where I can get these parts from?
Many thanks for information!
  • pperhac likes this

#7 italianstallion

italianstallion

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

The parts can be purchased from any Ford main dealer, they have a parts counter so you can buy straight away. If they are out of stock they will order in.

#8 g.c

g.c

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tdci

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

had the same problem with leak from the spill pipe connector but found there is no need to remove the r clip just push it down a little and pull the nozzle out and change the o ring re fitting is just the reverse

#9 TwinCamMan

TwinCamMan

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.0
  • Name:Darragh

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think gc is right on this one. Just push down on the leg of the "R" clip and pull the connector out. As for the two O-rings there should only be one for each injector, the larger of the two grooves is for the R clip to seat into. If you put an O-ring in here you are running the risk of the R clip not seating properly and the connector coming loose.

#10 teecee90

teecee90

Greasy Primate

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2009 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi
  • Name:Greasy Primate

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Had the same problem on my 2.0.

Just replaced the o-rings and problem solved. As mentioned above - the r-clips can stay in situ during fitting, just press the bottom of the clip down and pull the connector out. Replace the o-ring and the connectors will just push straight back in without touching the r-clip.

Seals £2 for 4 on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users