#11 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  • 78 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 A3 Saloon

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hi, in cold weather the start/stop will. on occassion, not work. This is because the system doesn't just read battery volts, it is rather more sophistcated than that as the start/stop also will take readings from the outside ambient temperature, the cabin temperature and the settings on the A/C, or climate control. If the ambient temp is too high, or too low, it will not stop the engine because it understands that the occupants will need to have a comfortable temperature inside the car. It will also not operate if the A/C, or climate, settings are at 'Hi', or 'low'. It seems that the start/stop takes readings from other sensors, such as the active front grille flaps, as in Moxey's case...

Edited by chriscatt, 19 February 2013 - 02:23 PM.

2013 Fiesta Titanium X       2014 A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSI S-Line
1.0L 100ps Ecoboost          Daytona Grey
Candy Blue.

#12 dennisg

dennisg

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.6 ecoboost
  • Name:Dennis

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hi, in cold weather the start/stop will. on occassion, not work. This is because the system doesn't just read battery volts, it is rather more sophistcated than that as the start/stop also will take readings from the outside ambient temperature, the cabin temperature and the settings on the A/C, or climate control. If the ambient temp is too high, or too low, it will not stop the engine because it understands that the occupants will need to have a comfortable temperature inside the car. It will also not operate if the A/C, or climate, settings are at 'Hi', or 'low'. It seems that the start/stop takes readings from other sensors, such as the active front grille flaps, as in Moxey's case...

I know all that Chris. None of those conditions changed while I was parked for 10 mins before auto stop came into operation. The only thing that was happening was that the battery was being charged. As I said, the car cannot measure battery voltage because while the engine is running, the battery voltage doesn't change. The rate of charge might do. and that rate of charge might differ with the battery being colder or warmer.

#13 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  • 78 thanks

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hi, so then if the engine stopped after 10 mins it could be that the ecu detected that the conditions were all suitable for the engine to automatically be stopped?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TalkFord.com

Candy Blue.

#14 Moxey

Moxey

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Focus mk 3
  • Name:Ronnie

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hi Dennis when i started having problems with my start stop system the ford garage put the car on the computer and no fault codes came up.
But i was still having problems so after a second visit to the dealers they hooked it up to the computer and it came up with the faulty valve operating the air intake flaps in the front grille.
Take your car back to the dealers and mention the above fault and get them to run a diagnostic check on your valve.

Good luck
Ronnie
2012 Ford Focus Titanium , 1.6 Ecoboost 150 PS

#15 bosnjo

bosnjo

Megger Marine

• Members
  • 633 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.6 180hp 2012

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I guess I'm the only one here that wants to find a way to disable start/stop. I hate it. It works OK in my car but since few months ago I trained myself to disable it every time I start the engine. As far as I know, only BMW makes a change upon customer's request, for "A" button to remember the last settings put by user, I mean, if you disable it on button, next time you start the car it stays disabled. I'd love to have that feature but Ford doesn't allow us to (yet).

Edited by bosnjo, 19 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Focus Ecoboost 1.6 180hp Titanium, March 2012,

Voice Control, Bluetooth, 6CD Sony HU,
Premium Speakers, Privacy Glass,
Bi-Xenons, Parking Assist...

#16 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  • 78 thanks

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi, given the driving standards on our roads I'd be worried that anyone could switch off something like TC on a BMW and not have it automatically turned on again..

Candy Blue.

#17 Ron240

Ron240

Focus Mk3 Moderator

• Gold Member
  • 1,585 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus ST3

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

It works OK in my car but since few months ago I trained myself to disable it every time I start the engine.

This is exactly what i do too. :)

2014 Focus ST3. Spirit Blue, ST Style Pack, Cruise Control, Privacy Glass.

It amazes me how many people think the past tense of "buy" is "brought"

#18 bosnjo

bosnjo

Megger Marine

• Members
  • 633 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.6 180hp 2012

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hi, given the driving standards on our roads I'd be worried that anyone could switch off something like TC on a BMW and not have it automatically turned on again..

I was not talking about Traction Control, but rather about Start/Stop
http://www.autoblog....ram-start-stop/
Focus Ecoboost 1.6 180hp Titanium, March 2012,

Voice Control, Bluetooth, 6CD Sony HU,
Premium Speakers, Privacy Glass,
Bi-Xenons, Parking Assist...

#19 chriscatt

chriscatt

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  • 78 thanks

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi, however this still isn't a standard feature and the car has to be programed to do this. Something that might be possible to do with the focus, maybe someone needs to test this out. Trouble is I would think a dealer would claim it can't be done without bothering to look...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TalkFord.com

Candy Blue.

#20 Moxey

Moxey

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Focus mk 3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Just a wee update got the car sorted today at the dealers new valve fitted and problem solved happy days .
2012 Ford Focus Titanium , 1.6 Ecoboost 150 PS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users