#1 bean2408

bean2408

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCI Zetec S
  • Name:Carl

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

My 2001 Mondeo has developed a problem with no build up to it. One morning it drove fine and then in the afternoon the coil light is flashing on the dash and the vehicle has lost all its power. I originally cleared the codes but after that I turned the ignition on and before the engine is even turned over, after about 20 seconds the light comes on again. The car still starts and drives but is down power massively. Can anyone give me any suggestions please. The vehicle has had 2 new injectors, new fuel filter and new knock sensor in the last 6 months. The EGR valve is on the back of the engine and is a non electronic one. I also did discover a small split in the intercooler hose which is now on order but I do not feel this is directly part of the problem as the fault appears before the engine has even turned over. Please let me know any suggestions you may have or if any of you have/are experiencing the same. Thank you.

#2 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  • 275 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:04 Zetec130TDCi Eur3
  • Name:peter scott

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hi Carl,

I'm afraid it sounds like you require another injector. A leak-off test would might identify the culprit. (See Injector Leak-Off Test below)

Peter

F-Super Information ..................TDCi Injector Information

TDCi Injector Cleaning................Injector Leak-Off Test

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

Thanked by 1 Member:
bean2408

#3 mobile diagnostics

mobile diagnostics

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Name:Shane

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

A leak in the Intercooler pipe can cause limp mode.You need to sort that and go from there.

Mobile diagnotics Injector leak off tests,recoding ,much more... South yorkshire areas.

Thanked by 1 Member:
bean2408

#4 bean2408

bean2408

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply. If it were another injector would this be picked up then even if the engine hasn't been turned over after fault code clearing?. Just seems that when I previously changed the other 2 the fault only came apparent after the engine was running for a short period. Previously the codes would be cleared and then would not come back on just with the ignition on?. Sorry, to ask further but I just want to get other opinions on my theory. I appreciate it is almost impossible to say 100% without seeing the car. I really don't want it to be another injector. They are sooooo bloody costly. Please let me know your thoughts.

#5 bean2408

bean2408

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi Shane, Thanks for the reply. The pipe is on order and will be with me in the next day or so. Apparently Ford said this is a common one to go, but still amazingly they don't keep them in stock. Probably the age of the car. Do you think this could have thrown it in to limp mode and registering a fault without the engine running then?. Its just that my EGR is non electrical so I didn't think it would effect this at the code reading stage until the engine is running.

#6 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  • 275 thanks

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

POPULAR

Hi Carl,

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. You wouldn't get the codes in your title unless the engine was running.

I suspect you have leakage into the cylinders. You might be able to cure it by dismantling the leaky injector and cleaning it.

I don't think the split hose causes limp mode.

Peter

Edited by peter scott, 06 August 2013 - 10:49 AM.

• bean2408 likes this

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

Thanked by 1 Member:
bean2408

#7 bean2408

bean2408

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hi Peter,

Sorry,

The codes in the title are what were there when fault first occurred (after engine running).

Codes were then cleared.

Turned ignition on to position 2 so lights were on. No flashing coil light. Then 20 seconds like that and the light started to flash again. I read codes again and it came up with P0190 Pressure sensor of pressure distributor pipe faulty signal and P2338 Knock regulation on cyl 3. It is the latter one that surprised me could come on without the engine running?.

Please any more help/suggestions are much appreciated.

Carl.

#8 bean2408

bean2408

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Just to add, I have noted a weak earth feed to the fuel rail now. It has 3 wires to it and 1 has a much poorer earth than the other 2. Could this be an electrical/earth problem?. Auto data suggests the earth terminal under the battery???? Has anyone come across this before?.

#9 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  • 275 thanks

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hi Carl,

The P2338 happens because the ECU is unable to shut the injector off properly due to leakage into the cylinder. It can also make it difficult to control the rail pressure.

I don't think P2338 should come on without the engine running. It detects it from reading the knock sensor.

Peter

Edited by peter scott, 06 August 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#10 danwfastford

danwfastford

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2,174 posts
  • 58 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 TDCi TiTX Estate

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

A leak in the Intercooler pipe can cause limp mode.You need to sort that and go from there.

I've never known a split hose to cause limp mode. The car doesn't know it's leaking, so it just boosts to atmosphere and it makes the tell-tale 'whoosing' sound. 

If it's pumping out white smoke on start up I'd put good money on it being injectors. Mine went through 11 injectors in 3 years and only once did it show an injector related fault code. 

www.fastfordmag.co.uk

Try it, you might like it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fault codes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users