nicks21

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK3 04
  • Name:n1cks21

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi Guys,

I am no petrol head so please be gentle lol, I recently bought a petrol 04 2.0L Mondeo Hatchback, it's absolutely stunning not a mark on it inside or out, it runs like a dream and has only done 49000 miles, it has a full service history and has obviously been looked after, my problem is that it drinks Petrol, I have read the forum and didn't want to jump onto someone else's topic.  The MPG readout shows 19 to 19.6 I have only done town driving so I expect it to be low but not that low ?   

#2 thegfb

thegfb

saxos are crap

• Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 60 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:ST24
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 26.884

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

POPULAR

First up, have you reset it?  Try that first then drive a 100 miles or so and see how it changes.

19mpg is possible as an average if there was a lot of town driving, sat in traffic jams etc but it would be low.

If it's still poor after resetting the trip it could be something like a faulty lambda sensor but try the easy things first and don't just throw money at random things hoping they might fix it.

• nicks21 likes this

#3 Exeter Mondeo Man

Exeter Mondeo Man

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 - 2.0 Ghia X
  • Name:Rod

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

POPULAR

Mine only does about the same sort of figure around town, although it is an auto - putting the trip computer into instant MPG mode and watching the number fall can be frightening in town :)

• nicks21 likes this
If it has t*ts or tyres .... It's gonna cost you!!

#4 Grumpyaxeswinger

Grumpyaxeswinger

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCI Ghia X
  • Name:Hamish Craig

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

POPULAR

The MPG readouts tend to be a bit in acurate though the more the MPG is reset the more acurate it becomes. 

Note how much fuel you put in and the miles covered and it's really simple to do a quick calculation to work out the MPG

• nicks21 likes this

#5 Dann_2587

Dann_2587

TF regular

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 tdci LX
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

POPULAR

If I 2.0 petrol if that bad you may aswell drive a 2.5 v6 ive heard they get 20-25mpg

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

• nicks21 likes this

#6 nicks21

nicks21

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the replys,  I have not reset it and didn't know you could or how lol I found the answer here  so I have now reset it, I will see how it goes 

#7 mr floor

mr floor

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo 2001 Mk3

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

POPULAR

Hows your engine temperature? How quickly does it get up to temperature?

What is your cold and warm idle speeds? No misfire if you floor it to redline? (not on a cold engine of course)

• nicks21 likes this

#8 paul05149

paul05149

Go On.....I'm All Ears......

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • 114 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Flapless 1.8 MKIII

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

POPULAR

check engine running temps using the dash diagnostics and not the needle gauge as it is non-linear and only a guide of temperature levels.

http://www.fordwiki....Diagnostic_Mode

Engine should run in the region of 95'C-105'C with the cooling fan kicking in at around 106'C but if your engine struggles to get to about 80'C when in use then suspect the stat and the ECU will be constantly in 'Choke' mode ie over-fueling.

Cheers paul M.(flapless) :driving:

• nicks21 likes this

#9 nicks21

nicks21

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

First up, have you reset it?  Try that first then drive a 100 miles or so and see how it changes.

19mpg is possible as an average if there was a lot of town driving, sat in traffic jams etc but it would be low.

If it's still poor after resetting the trip it could be something like a faulty lambda sensor but try the easy things first and don't just throw money at random things hoping they might fix it.

I have now reset it, I havent drove a 100 miles yet but it's jumped to 21 

Hows your engine temperature? How quickly does it get up to temperature?

What is your cold and warm idle speeds? No misfire if you floor it to redline? (not on a cold engine of course)

I havent noticed any misfires, my idle speeds seem ok however I am no petrol head lol 

check engine running temps using the dash diagnostics and not the needle gauge as it is non-linear and only a guide of temperature levels.

http://www.fordwiki....Diagnostic_Mode

Engine should run in the region of 95'C-105'C with the cooling fan kicking in at around 106'C but if your engine struggles to get to about 80'C when in use then suspect the stat and the ECU will be constantly in 'Choke' mode ie over-fueling.

Cheers paul M.(flapless) :driving:

Paul without sounding like a noob I assume it's the "Cylinder head temperature" mode I want ?

#10 mr floor

mr floor

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo 2001 Mk3

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

POPULAR

Yes cylinder head temperature is the coolant temperature and thats what you want to mesure.

• nicks21 likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
nicks21

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users