Photo

Starter motor/solenoid problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 dmatthews

dmatthews

Big Megger

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 12 April 2003 - 02:56 AM

Hi gang,

I've been having some problems getting the old Mondy to start up over the last week or so: turn the key, click, nothing. Occasionally it would start up on the second or third attempt but the other day it refused completely. A-ha - starter motor, I thought at first. Tended it with the good old "Roadside Emergency Kit" - ie trusty old hammer - but still no joy. So I tried some deftly applied percussion on the solenoid body instead and voila!

The car then started OK every time but the solenoid needed bashing again a few days later when it let me down.

Clearly the solenoid was on its way out so I took the car in to my local friendly dealer to get it changed. However we discovered that the nut that retains the earthing strap from the solenoid was loose and had, in fact, burnt away very badly (which, presumably, was due to arcing.)

We can only assume that the nut had never been tightened up properly when the car was built. It doesn't seem likely that the nut has simply loosened itself over time.

Whatever - the car now seems to be sorted. Indeed I can actually hear a difference when I start the engine - the starter motor had previously sounded rather "rough" when engaging.

So I thought I'd post this little story so that others suffering starter problems might like to check for this. Indeed I'd be interested to know if anyone else has actually come across this problem on their own Mondy.

--
Cheers,

#2 Underdog

Underdog

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 12 April 2003 - 06:17 PM

Had exactly the same thing on my Mondy. You descibed it beautifully. It may be worthy of a mention that my starter did actually give up the ghost only 1 month later. Don't know whether it's a sign of things to come though Dave, hope not. :(
1994 TD Est
"Did my 'ed in"

#3 Pcox

Pcox

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2003 - 01:39 AM

Hi Dave,
Last year i had a new starter put in my mondy. 1 year & 1 week later my starter gave up again, i went to halfords AA garage to get a new starter fitted. The fitter called me in after about 30 minutes when he had got the old starter off. The wiring on the back of the solinoid had melted so i needed a new starter and wiring. Thought i was the only person with this problem .
Pete
Panther Black MK II 2.0 16V Ghia
10 spoke 15 wheels with 205*55*15
Alpine H/U
All door speakers changed to Pro-Plus components.
400 watt amp with 12 sub in a box
All ghia extras

#4 dmatthews

dmatthews

Big Megger

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2003 - 05:19 AM

I must admit I am a bit concerned that the arcing may have caused damage to the solenoid and/or starter over the years. The whole assembly is a real pig to remove in a V6 auto, too. Just have to wait and see.

Dave Matthews

'Professionals' and 'New Avengers' sites at:
www.mark-1.co.uk