News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Won't start with clicking noise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 clicker

clicker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

Hi I drove to work this morning and I noticed when I started the car, the dials swung around backward and forth before starting.

However I've just got back in the car and it won't start and makes a loud clicking noise from the engine bay.

Any ideas if this is mechanical or electrical.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's a 2000 Y reg 2.0 petrol.

#2 KillBill

KillBill

Big Megger

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

Sounds electrical when you consider the dials acting weird.

Does the clicking sound happen when you turn the key to fire the starter ?
Its probably a relay, possibly the for fuel pump.

Does the engine turn over at all while making this click, or is it just doing the noise and nothing else ?
'95 Ford Mondeo 1.8i LX - State Blue
'95 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX - Black
'95 Citroen XM 2.1 VSX - Metallic Green

#3 clicker

clicker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for your prompt response, the engine does not turn over, although I noticed with the bonnet up some of the cogs are clicking around slowly.

The CD player is also acting weird, continually shuffling the CD's around and asking for its code.

I'm sure the battery is not flat but also noticed the tripometer has reset itself.

The clicking happens when the igntion is turned.

#4 clicker

clicker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

I've just jumped the car and it has started, however I'm concerned it's more than a flat battery due the the strange behaviour, is it likely to be anything to do with the alternator?

#5 sparker

sparker

Resident LED Guru

• Members
  • 2,912 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

if it still does it after its been for a run then it could be the alternator not charging the battery. Although it could very easily just have been a low battery as this will likely cause the behavious described.
[color:red]RIP[/color] - Coral Red 1993 2.0 Ghia 187.6bhp@7000rpm / 158.7lbft@5000rpm

Black 1997 2.5 Ghia X - was - 177.1bhp@6490rpm / 159.7lbft@4715rpm
[color:blue]Now with added ST200 power[/color]

And new project - SA import mk2 golf 2.0 16v

[color:#401343]Let the next round of tuning begin![/color]

Now with 5 mondeos and 2 golfs

now gone [color:gray]silver[/color] Silver 1989 Supra 3.0 Turbo

#6 KillBill

KillBill

Big Megger

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

I'd agree, it's sounding very like a flat / malnourished battery if things on the dash are resetting. Try giving the battery a long run, and then a full charge overnight. If it does this again, its the likely suspect... though its possible the alternator isn't charging it correctly. Do you have access to a voltmeter ?

'95 Ford Mondeo 1.8i LX - State Blue
'95 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX - Black
'95 Citroen XM 2.1 VSX - Metallic Green

#7 jarhedch

jarhedch

Still waiting to Wii

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

either a dead battery or bad connections, either one veyr likely, check your ground and pos term conns on the batt and aengine
3 cars, 16.8 liters of displacement, 820 horses, and a whole lotta noise.

http://ukcfo.blogspot.com/
The things we own, end up owning us.
Without pain, without sacrifice, we have nothing.

Battlefield 2 Players Click here for clan info: http://twistedclaw.blogspot.com/

#8 clicker

clicker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

I'd agree, it's sounding very like a flat / malnourished battery if things on the dash are resetting. Try giving the battery a long run, and then a full charge overnight. If it does this again, its the likely suspect... though its possible the alternator isn't charging it correctly. Do you have access to a voltmeter ?

Thanks everyone, I do have access to a voltmeter should I put this on the battery, if so what am I looking for?

#9 bigi

bigi

Freddy Kruger ate my mum

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

Deffo dodgy battery - when you try and start the car, it takes a massive inrush current to turn the starter motor and fire up the starting systems. If the battery is low on charge, you will see the dash and everythin resetting, and either a very slow turn over or just a click. Cells might be knacked in the battery, causing it not to charge fully or hold charge. To test, check the voltage with engine running, then stop the engine, and watch if the voltage drops. It should get to about 14v when the engine is running - any lower and the alternator is suspect. Any lower than about 12.5v and the battery is knacked mate.

Of course, make sure you use fully insulated test probes - and don't short the live against anything.... :L

#10 jarhedch

jarhedch

Still waiting to Wii

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

before checking volts on the batt, turn on the lights for about a min, this removes the surface charge that accumulates when the batt is charged, otherwise it will read like 13 volts when it really isn't. A fully charged batt will read 12.6 volts, lower than that and the batt may still be good, but needing a charge. if it reads about 10.5 volts after the headlights on, it's got a dead cell, it's FUBAR'd. a shorted cell will casue a long term discharge (like a few hours to overnight), but read 12.5 or co volts ona fully charged batt. Don't replace the batt just because it reads a few volts lower than 12.6, as it may still be good, but heavy gassing during charging, or a very steep drop off of volts with engine off indicates bad batt.
3 cars, 16.8 liters of displacement, 820 horses, and a whole lotta noise.

http://ukcfo.blogspot.com/
The things we own, end up owning us.
Without pain, without sacrifice, we have nothing.

Battlefield 2 Players Click here for clan info: http://twistedclaw.blogspot.com/