News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Engine Management Light?????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 sjt959

sjt959

Megger

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

The orange engine light did not extinguish this evening when I started the car. Tried turning on and off a couple of times but no change, drove home (50 miles) including a stop of a few minutes and it remains on.

So where do I start? The car drove fine and nothing seems amiss. Do I need to see a man with a gadget......

Thanks

MK3 115 TDDi Giha Estate in Juice Green, again on a Y but with 100k less miles

MK3 2.0 Petrol Zetec on a Y plate - Now dead at 172k, the man in the big red lorry took a dislike to it :sad:

MK2 TD LX Estate on an S plate - long gone, thank God.......

www.sillygrin.co.uk

#2 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,292 posts
  • 311 thanks

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

if its running fine etc then the easiest way to get rid of the light will be to disconnect the battery for about 30 mins or so ( make sure you have ur radio code beforehand though )

if the light comes back on after this then there is a problem for sure & the code needs to be read to find out what it is so it can be corrected so the light will stay off :(

Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

#3 percybigun

percybigun

Window licking mong

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 39,488 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:03 AM

this happened on my mates mk3 2.0 zetec (X reg), and like yours the car had no ill effects.

he went to the garage and it was going to be £100 for a diagnostic, he decided to wait a couple of weeks til pay day and then the light went out and it hasnt returned since.

#4 sjt959

sjt959

Megger

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the info.

The light was still on all the way to work this morning. I'll try disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours once it's light. There's a sticker on the front of the service book that says "key code" I assume this is the radio code......

I did have a browse around the forum and found the info on reading data from the dash via the trip button. Doing that last night and this morning gave the following. Can anyone decipher this?

1. test
2. GAGE
3.88:88
4. bulb
5. r 0206
6. Er 0206
7. E 01
8. dt 8747
9. dtc / nOnE (alternate flashing)
10. SP0000
11. SP0000

There's a load more if needed.

Thanks for the help.

MK3 2.0 Petrol Zetec on a Y plate - Now dead at 172k, the man in the big red lorry took a dislike to it :sad:

www.sillygrin.co.uk

#5 compuwiz_uk

compuwiz_uk

Super Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 18,292 posts
  • 311 thanks

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

the only one of importance is number 9 which says NONE so there is no problem with the gauges or any of the equipment it connects to ( mine flashes up an error code as it cannot find the stability control module as the gauges came from a mota with stability control & my mota does not have it :( )

1-4 are tests modes ( 1 tells you your in test mode, 2 tests the gauges go all the way round as they should, 3 activates the LCD displays fully so you can see if there is a problem with them, 4 lights all the bulbs on the dash so you can see if there is any out )

5-8 are just revision numbers for the software etc that the cluster is programmed with

9 gives you any error codes that relate to the dashboard equipment

10 & 11 are your speed in kph & mph

there is also settings for the revs in RPM, the voltage of the battery/alternator, temperature of the engine coolant & a fair few more other bits too

Too many mods to list in here but they can be seen here

Most Common MK3 Question / Problems have solutions listed in the WIKI - Click Here

Ford Etis Vehicle Information - Click Here

#6 sjt959

sjt959

Megger

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

Thanks.

Just been out and reconnected the battery and done all the re-sets. Engine light goes out :woot: now, have to see what happens later.

www.sillygrin.co.uk

#7 EssexJohn

EssexJohn

Little Megger

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

i assume there is no way of getting these codes if you do not have the trip?

#8 RoryTDDI

RoryTDDI

Big Megger

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:11 PM

its the trip counter button you need to press down whilst turning the ignition on (so the black push-button on the right, just above the tripometer)

It will reset your trip mileage though!
2001 mk3 Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 petrol LPG estate. Eibach 30mm lowered

4awg power wiring
Becker 7945 headunit
Philips DAP650/900 amps
Philips components
Philips subwoofer
Alto UCS Pro DSP/Processor/X-over

#9 carlloss

carlloss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

hi i had this on my mondeo 1.8 2001 this was because i did an lpg conversion and the engine light came on ,i first thought it was because i had too many miles between services so i gave it a service and then i bought the code reader (which also resets the engine light) from e**y (the auction site) for just under £30 and found it wasnt anything to do with lack of service it was because i was running too lean ( on gas / lpg )so i had to go into the gas software and plug up the lpg brain to up the amount of gas and now it doesnt come on atall, but the main reason im sending this post is because with the code reader i got a booklet which has about 1000 different codes in it so if you could find what the code is from the dashboard test ill look it up and let you know what it says it is.
cheers everyone and happy xmas
:)

#10 carlloss

carlloss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

hi just had a quick look and youre doing an ice install on youre mondeo estate could you take a few photos to give me some ideas because i have the same year and shape (estate) and might improve mine a bit . at the moment i have a sony dual face minidisc head with a high minidisc,a 10 disc multi and an ipod hanging from it, via the xc30 multi interface and i have a 12inch pioneer sub in the boot, just an idea you might want to do which i have always done is if you screw the sub amp to the sub box and get youre self a kettle leads which has the kettle socket on the other end and the plug on one end (old computers use these to connect the screen to the computer),cut it in half and use this as the power lead in the boot then if you ever need to use the boot space and take out youre sub then its very easy to do so because the amp power is on a plug and the audio bit is on 2 phono plugs aswell., also the 10 disc just about fits into the hole in the left hand side in the boot behind the panel.
cheers
:)