News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

front coil spring? boing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 mondeo girl

mondeo girl

Little Megger

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

OK guys, i'm ready for the laughter & derision, but i need advice please.

this morning i called out a mobile mechanic to deal with a clanking noise around the front left wheel of my old estate. it was the "front coil" he said & promptly just cut it out. i asked him if it was dangerous to drive like that -surely there must be a purpose for it? but he replied that he'd sorted the problem. he said i could get another one "if i wanted", suggesting it isn't necessary.
but i AM worried.
advice please guys.

#2 Marney

Marney

I did the pics

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 12,026 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

If it's the front coil spring, which are common to snap on the Mk1 and Mk2, then you need to get it replaced. You could now get pulling to one side, maybe worse when braking, uneven tyre wear, and if the remainder of the spring was to jump out of the bottom cup you could damage the shock as well or worse.
My old Mk2 - from then to now HERE!

The rat - Rat Fez

The VeeDub - http://www.talkford....-6n-14-8v-mkiv/

If your car doesn't already have a boot, you can buy one from a car boot sale!

#3 mondeo girl

mondeo girl

Little Megger

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

yeah, thanks.
i knew the mechanic wasn't telling me the whole story. -needless to say i wouldn't go back to him, i had alarm bells i should have listened to, he was a bit of a likely lad, turned up 20 minutes late, scratching his ar*e. someone recommended him though!

#4 Fred22

Fred22

Turbo'd ST24

• Members
  • 10,084 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

yeah the coil springs arent too bad to change on the mondeos, if yur gonna change them yurself then just take it easy with the pinch bolt, as they tend to break causing hassle, if u spray them with plenty of wd40 and loosen it a bit then tighten it a bit, then spray wd40 and do this process, slowly u will get the bolt out, get some spring compressors and compress the spring and then replace with new spring, id do both at the same time as its most likely that the other spring isnt far off from going as well and the way the car is right now the other side which hasn't broken will get getting all the strain and will eventually go, if u are gonna get it done at a garage get the springs yourself and then have them fit them to your car, as they will want to charge u an arm and a leg to change them for u :tonofbricks:

good luck with it hope u get it sorted :)
98 Ford Mondeo/Contour v6 :)

my st24 turbo progress

my garage

Dont fcuk with this St24
Shudda bRought a Scooby

#5 Marney

Marney

I did the pics

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 12,026 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

id do both at the same time as its most likely that the other spring isnt far off from going as well

Depends whether the other side has already been replaced. I dont get it with people always saying fit in pairs, I used to work for Ford and if we'd said fit both the customer would have then gone off thinking we're con merchants. Most garages only replace what needs replacing despite peoples opinions.

The rat - Rat Fez

#6 Fred22

Fred22

Turbo'd ST24

• Members
  • 10,084 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

yeah but im only assuming as she has only said that her spring is broken and also due to the fact that she has only registered with the site with the problem im assuming that its the first time its broken with her and that the other one hasnt been replaced, as i said when one goes the other side of the car is under more stress to compensate for the broken spring so will probrably not be that far off from breaking, its up to her at the end of the day, springs can be brought quite cheap, getting stuck 60 miles away from home because of the other side of the spring breaking on u isnt something id want on my mind ;)

my st24 turbo progress

my garage

Dont fcuk with this St24
Shudda bRought a Scooby

#7 Marney

Marney

I did the pics

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 12,026 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

yeah but im only assuming

Never assume, it makes an ass out u and me! :whistling:

Also, I disagree with garages charging an arm and a leg. Labour for a spring is 1 hr. TBH, I'd rather pay a garage £40 odd than struggle on my drive if I didn't know how to do them.

The rat - Rat Fez

#8 Fred22

Fred22

Turbo'd ST24

• Members
  • 10,084 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

true but they never do it for 1 hr, u might be honest and charge 1 hrs labor, but theres garages out there that charge 2 or more hrs and say they had problems with bits and bobs and then want more for something else, i agree with u about if u cant fit it get it done at a garage and save the hassle which ive kindly told her, i dont like to assume as u have also assumed about that they have been changed, chances are very high they havent though and lets say 80 pounds for 2 hrs labor, plus parts price which they charge alot for just 1 spring plus vat i can see this being nearly 250 pounds if she is lucky if not more, ive been to rip off garages myself so know when they are having a joke :headshake:

my st24 turbo progress

my garage

Dont fcuk with this St24
Shudda bRought a Scooby

#9 Marney

Marney

I did the pics

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 12,026 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

£250 for a spring :} I'll have some of what you're smoking, Fred.
And if you reread my email, I never assumed, I said it depends whether one had already been changed. I just dont agree with telling people to get both done and splash out more cash than is necessary. It's like people on here who refuse to tell people lower arm bushes can be replaced and just advise new arms all the time.

The rat - Rat Fez

#10 Fred22

Fred22

Turbo'd ST24

• Members
  • 10,084 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

aight man whatever :smoking:

:}

my st24 turbo progress

my garage