News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

TDCi cutting out

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ady Figures

Ady Figures

Little Megger

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

We have a problem with our mondeo 2.0 tdci estate on an 03 plate. The glow plug light comes on sometimes when driving along then a minute or so later yhr engine cuts out.We have to turn the ignition off,wait a few seconds then it starts ok.This problem is totally random. Two days after we got the car the crankshaft sensor packed up and was replaced,that was 2 months ago,all the latest probs have have been in the last month.Any help would be appreciated.
Ady and Tracy Figures. we own a Mk 3 mondeo estate 2.0 tdci on a 03 plate,and it has 120000 on the clock. This is our third mondeo,last on was a 1.8 zetec hatch on a W plate, the first was a 2.0 litre GLX estate 1995. This was a great car which was a good work horse and a bit battered when we p/ex'd it for the Mk 2 hatch. The latest mondeo is a diesel, our first. We live in Street ,Somerset, home of Clarks shoes [color:blue][/color]

#2 geezgeez

geezgeez

Megger

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

The first thing you need to try is replace the cam sensor.

Your symptoms are very common, and replacing the cam sensor normally does the trick.

#3 Ady Figures

Ady Figures

Little Megger

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

Cheers mate will try this. Thats more help than ive had from my Ford dealer
Ady and Tracy Figures. we own a Mk 3 mondeo estate 2.0 tdci on a 03 plate,and it has 120000 on the clock. This is our third mondeo,last on was a 1.8 zetec hatch on a W plate, the first was a 2.0 litre GLX estate 1995. This was a great car which was a good work horse and a bit battered when we p/ex'd it for the Mk 2 hatch. The latest mondeo is a diesel, our first. We live in Street ,Somerset, home of Clarks shoes [color:blue][/color]

#4 alipman

alipman

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

I recently had this problem, last Thursday night in fact, cut out at speed etc and glow plug light flashing.

Was cam sensor. Fixed yesterday and, fingers crossed, all fine.
Ford introduced a 12Amp revised version from the original 5Amp which apparently is the "big Cure"!
Mk2 Ghia X 2.0 - They really do have a small boot dont they?
Mk3 Ghia X TDCI Estate - You can get a shed on top and a bath in the boot!

"If the road is open then so is the throttle"

#5 Ady Figures

Ady Figures

Little Megger

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for that, will let the garage know.
I agree about the Mk 3 estate, its huge!

#6 Ady Figures

Ady Figures

Little Megger

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

Its having the cam sensor done next week but phoned up the car dealer in Bristol just to make sure it was the crank sensor they replaced in May and they said "oh no, it was the cam sensor they changed" when they catagorically told us it was the crank sensor, grrrrrrr!!!!!!
I took a look at the sensor myself and it dont look new to me !
Dont some dealers really **** you off :annoyed:

#7 Ady Figures

Ady Figures

Little Megger

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Had the cam sensor changed today for a brand new one unlike the sensor it replaced which was not new and I asked my ford garage for the faulty sensor so I could see for myself. My wife noticed the car running smoother and I sensed an improvement. Fingers crossed this is now sorted. :)

#8 Ady Figures

Ady Figures

Little Megger

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

Oh dear,its started to "cough" again and the glow plug flashes. Had the new cam sensor done last week but when my wife was driving it yesterday then again today it did it again !She was changing from 2nd to 3rd doing about 30mph when it "coughed",and had to stop,turn off then restart.This frightens her especially on the school run.
Is it worth changing the crank sensor and checking the EGR valve and where are they located please. :annoyed:

#9 Ady Figures

Ady Figures

Little Megger

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

Here's an update.
The car went back into the ford garage today due to the car cutting out on me on sunday, then it did it again sunday night.
I made a note of what happened every time to give the garage some clues.
Was put on diagnostics and they reckon that it's the ENGINE WIRING LOOM.
This seems plausable, so we are going to bite the bullet and have it changed,total cost around £380 but should get it back on the warranty.

#10 Port Scouser

Port Scouser

Little Megger

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

Just out of interest, did your speedo and rev counter gauges flicker simultaneously just before the car cut out?