Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I'm now starting a 3rd car diary :crazy:

even I know I don't need 3 Mondeos but I've often thought 2 would be good: one to get used and abused for work and one to be lovely and clean and polished for those rare days when I'm not working.

anyway I had no intentions of buying a diesel as I believe it equates to a life of misery with injector troubles, black smoke and fuel pump issues

However I desperately needed a new Mondeo and there seemed to be several 2.0 diesels for sale at around £600 - all at once. I contacted the sellers and got vague responses and was getting desperate when I saw a 2.2 advertised locally for £695.

Long story short I went and bought it. The guy said he only wanted £600 for it :biggrin: and when I got home the 2 other guys called Ina with 2.0s had messaged me saying 'car ready'.

the 2.2 seems to be the stuff of legends: pulls like a train, does 70mpg etc and I have to say I've looked for them on Ebay loads of times but never seemed to see one in my price range - which is low - so it's kinda weird to have got one.

It's the Edge model which I don't like cos of the alloys, it's silver which I'm not sure about for a workhorse and it's done 135000 miles (roughly). It's also the hatch which isn't great as I always have ladders on the car which means you can't open the hatch.

I've only driven it for about an hour and it feels very agricultural on start-up but it does get better with speed.

Going on a long run on Friday which will be a good test of its abilities, assuming I make it there and back :huh:

hhIDPNE.jpg

latest Mondeo

xtQwyZS.jpg

my 1st Mondeo behind it (1.8 petrol hatch)

·
Super Moderator
29,809 Posts
Bought my MK4.5 in 2018 and nobody appeared to want my old 2.2 Ghia Estate.

I stuck it in my mums garage and my nephew had it a few months later, 2 years of

neglect and its still running but needs some work now.

Finding someone who doesnt immediately say its not worth fixing and it needs a

DMF/Clutch when they could simply listen and hear the clutch master squeaking

and sounding nasty.

Maybe if he actually put some brake fluid in it? Level has been low for a long time

and he just ignored it.

Or the coolant expansion tank covered in oil, i was WTF!!! his reaction told me that

he has probably never opened the bonnet since getting it and covers 20k+ a year

in it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I've had the car a couple of weeks now and went on that 200 mile run last Friday. Was amazed to get over 200miles on £20 of diesel B)

But now the problems are starting. Got in it last night and it wouldn't start. After more than 10 goes it spluttered into life and did it again on way home and this morning, but to a lesser extent.

Looks like dirty black smoke belching out the back until it runs then that clears.

No idea what to do about it and thinking mb just cut my losses and get rid of it while it still has MOT <_<

·
Super Moderator
29,809 Posts
Nephew is selling my old car :D

Although Scotlands a long way off and it needs a clutch master cylinder

but otherwise runs well, he commuted from Birmingham to Milton Keynes daily.

·
dont listen to me, you&#39;ll have horsepower and
3,265 Posts
I'd disconnect the small vacuum line on top of the egr valve and try starting it... if it starts fine then remove and clean or replace the egr valve. Nice easy job

Reactions: ffoy

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the tip.

I nearly missed work today as it just would not catch and the smoke in the street was a nightmare! similar problem on way home (8 hours later). Customer's garden like a smokescreen :unsure: :whistling:

I read somewhere it might be a leaky injector so there is lots of unburnt fuel in the cylinder. The smoke is also white (not dirty as I said originally) and this points to unburnt fuel.

Car ran like a dream once it (eventually) started and I did 2 other journeys tonight with no issues but am expecting severe problems in the morning :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so after a couple of weeks of nearly being stranded every time I left the car unused for more than a few hours it's now starting no probs but have got a flashing coil light on dash. When this is on the car runs utter $%£* <_<

I'm sort of learning to live with it but discovered the other night that if you rev the nuts off it till you hear the turbo whistle it will run as normal.

It's not easy to get this to happen but when you hear the pleasing sound then pull off it's great but you'll be back to square-one if you stop the car and have to go again.

For this reason I'm thinking it's not glow-plugs or injectors or even EGR.

Thinking it might be a clogged/dirty turbo.

Have seen various arguments online about drilling/tapping the turbo housing then squirting Mr Muscle oven-cleaner into the body but.

All a bit of a nightmare tbh. I need daily transport not another project :angry:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd disconnect the small vacuum line on top of the egr valve and try starting it... if it starts fine then remove and clean or replace the egr valve. Nice easy job
I had the bonnet open tonight actually and can't believe how easy to access the EGR is. Years ago I helped my mate clean the one on his Mk6 Transit. it was a nightmare to get out and afaik the same engine was used in them (his was a 2.0) but the engine is right up against the front panel iirc.

The EGR on the Duratecs is quite hard to reach and you need to disconnect a coolant hose. I don't remember having to do that on the Duratorq...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Small update....

I am dying to remove the turbo and clean it, after seeing a video of this on YouTube, but need the car daily for work so it'll need to wait.

However I saw a video today where a guy just disconnected the arm from the sensor to the turbo vanes (I think) and it over-rides the coil-light.

I couldn't really see the sense in this as you aren't getting rid of the problem just tricking the ECO into thinking there is no problem (ie stiffness in turbo vanes) but thought I'd give it a try..

What a difference. It's not quite back to what it was like the first week I got it but the light is off permanently and I can accelerate and drive at normal speeds again. can also hear the turbo whistling (cooing?) which is great but I'm still a bit wary of this 'magic' fix <_<

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just popping in to say that's over a week since the 'fix' and 2 long journeys under its belt.

I seem to be back to almost 200 miles for £20 fuel but that's a bit skewed as I decided to use Ultimate Diesel for 1st time for the long run and you don't get as much of that for your £20. Am sure the last time I did the long journey I got a bit more than 200 miles for my £20.

Anyway the car is definitely running better, for almost no work.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now here's a weird one. Recently been having a bit of the old problems back. Nothing like as bad as before and car actually starts and idles fine but stutters when pulling away or trying to accelerate.

I learned to dip the clutch a shade while increasing the throttle to get past this. Not ideal.

Anyway a few times I've put Ultimate Diesel in, thinking it would make car run better, but as soon as I put the normal stuff in the problem goes away.

Is it possible the better fuel could be alien to the ECU and cause issues or is it just random?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts