Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post here :) I am not a native english speaker or a mechanic, so please bare with me...

I recently purchaised a 2004 Mondeo MK3 1.8 which has 177k on the meter.

When I checked the sparkplugs I found that the coil on plug 1 was burnt inside (the metal was black). And there was a fair amount of clear oil where the plug sits.

I have replaced all coils and plugs, but I am a little worried about the oil inside where the plug sits. My "theory" is that the gasket for the "vaulve cover" (the plastic cover on top of the engine) is faulty and leaks oil when you top up the engine oil...? Correct? wrong? Ideas?

Regards,

Daniel

·
Registered
167 Posts
Could be the rocker cover gasket, as you seem to be describing. That would explain the oil I think.

Is there a noticeable oil burning problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I have had the car for about 2 months now. And the oil level seems to be consistant. Have measured it three times and level has been more or less unchanged.

·
Little Megger
28 Posts
Could be just where oil has spilt down onto the plug when somebody has tried to fill up the oil without using a funnel. Ive spilt oil this way many times at a petrol station when the wind catches the oil when pouring it in :) the plastic cover on top of the engine hides spilt oil very well so you cant see it going everywhere :) Also check the oil cap is not broken or is sealing properly/ seal is clean, as i have had oil spurt out the top and drain onto the plugs as well :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
What engine is it bud I.e zetec etc. if it is the rocket gasket make sure you use a torque wrench after replacing the gasket or they leak even more

·
361 Posts
I am not sure on the 1.8l. But the 2.0l has a few gaskets inside rocker cover. The internal gaskets prevent oil going into plug holes

·
Registered
999 Posts
The 1.8 zetec is the same bud. My old one had a 1 piece rubber gasket. Being a muppet I didn't use a torque wrench and the new seal leaked worse than the original lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts