Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
Hi guys,

Had an 'interesting' experience with the Mondeo tonight (1.8 Zetec, 129K miles).

I went to check the oil and discovered it wasn't even showing on the dipstick ! :shocked: I thought I must be wrong, and rechecked, but sure enough, not one speck of oil on the stick.
After I'd changed my underwear for a clean pair, I immediately went and got some 5W30 oil. After putting in 2 litres, the level was upto the 2nd notch on the dipstick.
I did think the car sounded a bit tappetty (a bit like the old Sierra Pinto engines) this morning, but put it down to it being freezing.
What really worries me, is how fast the oil was used. How long have I been driving around with little / no oil, I don't know. Helpfully, I didn't get any lights on the dash about it.

The night I got the car (will be 3 weeks ago this Thursday), I checked the oil, and it was sitting about 1 & 2/3's on the dipstick. It seems a huge amount to have used in less than 2 weeks. I checked around for serious leaks, it was dark, but I done my best with a torch. I can't find anything, and it's not leaving any spots on the driveway either. Would this amount of use seem excessive for this engine ? I'm a bit worried it's maybe burning huge amounts of it or something.

I do have another problem with the car, in that it sometimes kangaroos / bunny hops when accelerating hard under load, normally between 1500-2500 RPM. I don't know if this is related to the oil usage problem, but it seemed worse than usual this morning. I've tried replacing the infamous rubber T-piece, but it hasn't really helped. I did run some redex through it though, which gave a slight improvement, and MPG 'seems' better, but I still dunno. So far it's done 190 miles and the tank is down to half full... would that be good MPG for the engine ?
Sorry for all the sporadic questions, I'm just not sure if the kangarooing and poor economy are related to the oil issue.

Any thoughts much appreciated... I'm cacking myself now :(
:(

·
Everybody lies
4,863 Posts
Check inside your spark plug wells, you may have a leaky rocker cover.

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
Cheers :)

Will do tomorrow.
Is there any special tool needed to get to them (they look a bit deep inside). I do have the standard type 'spark plug remover' tool, but not sure if that'll fit down the hole.

If the rocker cover is leaking, can it get down inside the cylinders and be burnt ?
I've had leaks from there on previous cars, but it's always trickled down the outside...

·
Everybody lies
4,863 Posts
You just need to remove the plug leads and look inside, no, oil cant get through to burn. You do need a long spark plug tool to reach down inside. A couple of quid from halfords!

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
as said above the cam cover gasket is a common leak. also the silvertop zetecs do seem to use a bit of oil especially with high miles.

dont worry so much!

the oil light would have come on if it got really low. but your oil sensor might not be working.

the kangarooing thing is also common, mine was doing it and i had the supercharger conversion done and it cured it. not sure which part was fualty cos i had new vacuum pipes, inlet manifold, MAF, injectors, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator and much more.

the fuel guages are so innacurate the only way to accurately check mpg is run it to virtually empty with yellow light on, fill it to brim and see how many litres it took, then drive it till nearly empty and fill it again, see how many miles you done and how many litres used etc and work it out.

350 - 400 miles to a tank on average driving is about right. obviously more can be had with motorway miles or driving on minimum revs all the time etc.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
this might sound obvious but do you get an oil pressure warning light on the dash before you start the car , and if you do , how quickly does it go out when you start the car , chances are you have alreaady run through this but it pays to start at the basics and go from there , as for the consumption of oil then it sounds very high to me , if the engine was burning it then you would i reckon see it out of the exhaust , so the posts above have got to be a good place to start :L

·
Registered
651 Posts
hi mate my car is burning excessive oil as i did do a compression check for worn piston rings.ive got worn valve stem oil seals.

·
Everybody lies
4,863 Posts
If its kangarooing when your holding a steady speed, say 30mph, then you need to block the egr pipe.

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, had a look down the plug wells tonight, and the good ?(bad) news, is that it's clean as a whistle in there.

Today I did a 35 mile journey in stop-start traffic, that took about an hour, and checked the oil when I got to my destination... it doesn't appear to have lost any oil, so the leak isn't major, thankfully.

HOWEVER... on the way home, going up-hill I accelerated in 2nd or 3rd gear to overtake a slow moving car, and when I looked in the mirror, I saw a fine mist of blue smoke, like you see from diesels sometimes :(
I'm thinking valve stem seals ? :(

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
more likely worn piston rings :(

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
percybigun said:
the oil light would have come on if it got really low. but your oil sensor might not be working.
Good point. I did have that problem on my Citroen XM, but it was obvious because the oil light and a few other lights failed to come on at startup. The oil light on the Mondeo is coming on before the engine starts, though.

percybigun said:
the fuel guages are so innacurate the only way to accurately check mpg is run it to virtually empty with yellow light on, fill it to brim and see how many litres it took, then drive it till nearly empty and fill it again, see how many miles you done and how many litres used etc and work it out.
Yep, that's what I'm gonna do / am doing. It's on 223 miles ATM, and the needles sitting about 1ml under half a tank, so I'm hoping it has a fair bit left, but will let it go to the light like you say. At least the guage doesn't do what my Astra did, it used to stay static for the whole trip, but then once you stopped, and turned the ignition off then on again, the guage would sometimes drop by upto 1/4 ! :loopy:

percybigun said:
350 - 400 miles to a tank on average driving is about right. obviously more can be had with motorway miles or driving on minimum revs all the time etc.
Good, hopefully it'll achieve somewhere near that, though I suspect the kangarooing issue is hurting the MPG some.
When I first got the car, it was thirsty as hell. The night I got it, I put 40 litres into it, and it used 3/4 of that within 2 days of average driving ! I thought thats just what that engine used, but then I tried sticking some ever faithful redex through it. The change is unbelivable, it's like a whole new car, MPG wise. It did improve the kangaroo issue a little to, though didn't quite eliminate it.

With regards to driving with the minimum revs etc, I've found myself adopting a whole new driving style with the Mondeo, so I hardly ever accelerate if I can help it. I find that it gets up to speed quite quickly, and once there, is happy to just roll along, with very little pressure on the pedal. My Astra, which is a 1.4 8V SPI, used more fuel than the mondeo, I think due to the fact it was so ashmatic and underpowered, that you had to floor it to keep up with the traffic. The 1.8 Zetec is relatively effortless in comparison.

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
paulyoung666 said:
this might sound obvious but do you get an oil pressure warning light on the dash before you start the car , and if you do , how quickly does it go out when you start the car , chances are you have alreaady run through this but it pays to start at the basics and go from there , as for the consumption of oil then it sounds very high to me , if the engine was burning it then you would i reckon see it out of the exhaust , so the posts above have got to be a good place to start :L
Hi mate,
You're right about checking the basics first, it would have saved me a fortune in some cases in the past. :)

As for the oil light, it is coming on when the ignition is switched on, and going out after startup... that said, who knows if the sensor is actually working. Where does it live ?

I already know the temperature guage sender is faulty, and have a new one to stick in, but it's just been nothing but crap weather since last week :(

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
indy992000 said:
hi mate my car is burning excessive oil as i did do a compression check for worn piston rings.ive got worn valve stem oil seals.
I may well have to, I did see a bit of oil coming out the exhaust today :(

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Praxis said:
If its kangarooing when your holding a steady speed, say 30mph, then you need to block the egr pipe.
The kangarooing is frustratingly hard to pin down. Sometimes it will do it at a steady speed, as you say, others it will only happen with under load acceleration, normally between 1500-2500 RPM. Then it won't do it for a day or two, and just when I think it's gone away by itself, it comes back :eyesup:

·
Big Megger
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm....
How / why is that done ?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts