Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 1993 'M' Mondeo Diesel Estate. It wouldn't start this morning. Turns over fine, but wont start or fire up. I had to give it 2 or three goes yesterday, and then paused, put my foot hard down on the accelerator, ignition on, wait till glowplug light went out, then switch on. It fired up OK.

Today, wont' work. I've only had this car about 6 weeks. I noticed a while back that the glow-plug light didn't seem to come on for very long, compared to the Peugeot 405 TD that I had before the Mondeo. The 405 glowplug light would stay on about 9 or 10 seconds. When I timed the Mondeo light this morning, it seemed to just be about 3 seconds.

Is this significant, or other suggestions please?

Andrew

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try and start it with a suitably protected blower heater or powerfull hairdrier blowing into the air inlet. If it starts it could be that the glow plugs are duff, change them because its a good place to start from......

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
Even though the light goes off it doesn't mean they plugs are off. If you listen you will hear the glow plugs go off after about 10 seconds. when you turn the ignition on just leave it after the light goes out and wait till you hear the click at approx. 10 seconds then crank it. :L

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. A couple of hours after my original post on this yesterday, I had another go.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but the car started fine, no churning over or anything. So I thought, brilliant, it's OK..., all the rest was just a temporary aberation.

However, after I'd had some lunch I had some things to do in town, went out, and only after several goes did the car start . And this morning, I turned the ignition, the glowplug light went out after its 3 or so seconds, I left it another 6 or 7 seconds, and then tried to start. It didn't, so I've had a coffee and just had another go. It still won't start.

Looks like I'm going to have to change the glowplugs, unless anyone has some ideas....?

Is the glowplug light just coming on for 3 or 4 seconds normal for Mondeo TD's ?

Andrew

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
aye, max 5 seconds I'd say but they're still on for another 5 seconds or so

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
amclpreston said:
I fitted 4 new glowplugs. Seems to have cured the problem.

Andrew
Where abouts in somerset are you bud. Im getting to know my way around the TD quite well so if you ever need some advice i might only be around the corner.

jcth1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.