Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 1994 Ford Mondeo 1.8TD. The problem is that just recently it has started to chuck out loads of grey/black smoke out the back when i accelerate. (leaving anyone behind me in clouds of smoke) I have done the usual air/fuel/oil filter, changed the oil, used injector cleaner but it hasn't made any difference. The other problems is that it is getting harder to start in the mornings and once it does start if i put my foot down on the accelerator it takes a long time to rev up (fine when it has warmed up). Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is due its MOT in January and if it something serious i dont want to go wasting money on it.

Many Thanks
Mark
PS The acceleration (once it has warmed up) and fuel economy don't seem to be affected.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am currently having issues with my td, simillar symptoms, i.e. lots of blue smoke on startup and the next 2mins, rough idle, plus greyish smoke when i accellerate. I have put a piece of clear fuel tubing in the fuel line just before the pump, and there were lots of bubbles all the time. I have changed the filter/primer-pump assm but problem remains. :mad: :mad: :mad:

It may be worth you doing the same and getting some clear tube to see whats going on.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Try blocking the EGR - may not solve but won't do any harm.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
OK Then.

Not entirely sure on the MK1, but if its like the MK2 then its quite easy to do.

Looking at the engine - look at the Intecooler. Just below the intercooler to the right, there is a circular valve thingy which will have a rubber pipe going into the right side of it (pipe feeds across the lower part of the intercooler. Just take this pipe off (may have to persuade it), block the pipe with something like a ball bearing, then put the pipe back on.

Sure someone will be along if this is slightly different on the MK1 engine - I have a feeling there is a slight difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.