Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to drain cooling system today on my 2007 mk4 2.0 TDCi but I wasn't sure which hose to disconnect to get the stuff out. Apparently there is no drain plug as I understand from reading elsewhere. Would anyone be so kind and describe procedure of draining coolant in few words?

·
I could do with a profile pic
1,855 Posts
Depends how thorough you wanna be. Pull hoses off at thermostat housing. Also bottom radiator hose for that side of the system.

Hoses as lowest point possible.

Could even pull a post-pump pipe off and run the engine for a few seconds.

Then fill and run with cap off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, guys.

boost mad: could you please describe the drain plug (assuming you don't have a picture of it).. I saw sth at the bottom of the radiator, yellowish colour, about 1 inch in diameter with torx slot in it.. To be honest it didn't look like a drain a plug but there wasn't anything else..

·
Megger
268 Posts
Thanks for your replies, guys.

boost mad: could you please describe the drain plug (assuming you don't have a picture of it).. I saw sth at the bottom of the radiator, yellowish colour, about 1 inch in diameter with torx slot in it.. To be honest it didn't look like a drain a plug but there wasn't anything else..
No picture im afraid. It was a large + slot. alittle under an inch in diameter. Gearbox side of the car, bottom of the radiator end tank, facing the back of the car. Was difficult to find and i started to think there wasnt one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm on that elusive proof of engineership called timing belt & water pump replacement.
I've a Mk4 TDCI 2.0 QXBA estate.
I was wondering, having read about so many searches for the elusive radiator drain plug if this was it?

Its the long vertical 'tap' identified by the red arrow - I turned it 90 degrees anti clock before it became stiff - but nothing came out of the tube to the left.

And if not just have I found?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Hood Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
That's it.

It's not limited to 1/4 turn.

Provided its not badly clogged up it just needs turning anticlockwise until fluid appears, no more than three turns I'd say.

I made a special tool when I did mine because it was
hard to reach with adjustable spanner or pliers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's a drain plug on the water pump you can use too.
Thanks SteveyG
My Haines doesn't show this - in fact mentions nothing about the 2.2 (and I know nothing) - I guess its just a bigger bore 2L in most respects???
Do you have a pic of the drain plug?
It will be interesting when I get that far if mine has a drain plug on the pump or not.

·
Little Megger always willing to help.
594 Posts
Would it be easier and save all the faffing about just undo the lowest water hose on the radiator. ????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would it be easier and save all the faffing about just undo the lowest water hose on the radiator.
Yes, If you're not going to reuse coolant.
But serviced last month .. I'll be collecting and reusing
Hence wanting to have it discharged in an orderly fashion - not a big torrent!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts