1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I stumbled across a 2.2 head for sale on eBay:

Gas Automotive air manifold Auto part Composite material Metal

As you can see, there are 2 rows of 4 inlet ducts. The exhaust manifold holes x 4 are on the opposite of the head - trust me.

So, why 2 lots of holes rather than a single Set of 4? In looking at the inlet manifold, I have a spare one, all 8 holes are interconnected and you can “touch fingers“ so to speak. The inlet manifold has a cutout/blank in the moulding which looks like in some configs it could be used with a swirl flap actuator. The 173/200 Ford versions don’t use swirl flaps, but perhaps some PSA versions do.

Any ideas chaps?

Cheers - Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing...

My guess is that maybe the inlet valves have a different timing so that the swirl duct valves open slightly earlier than the charge air valves? Hence, at low rpm, the inertia of the incoming air would direct the intake air primarily through the swirl ducts.

As said, that's my own reasoning without any evidence.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been wondering the same thing...

My guess is that maybe the inlet valves have a different timing so that the swirl duct valves open slightly earlier than the charge air valves? Hence, at low rpm, the inertia of the incoming air would direct the intake air primarily through the swirl ducts.

As said, that's my own reasoning without any evidence.
But I don’t think there are any swirl ducts. I know from my experience with GM Vauxhall/Opel engines in the 1995-2003 ear that they had a “variable length“ inlet tract system. The early one (used on the straight 6 engines in Senator etc) was called Dual Ram, the updated design was called Multi Ram on the V6 engines in Vectra//Omega etc used butterfly valves which opened at various engine speeds and would “tune” the inlet accordingly. However, I’m fairly sure thatour 2.2 engines don’t have anything like that. Do they?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive air manifold Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

I found this pic of the inside of the top of the head. The top section has been removed turned around - you can see the cam chain area is on the left on the head itself and right on the cover section.

this gives an insight to what’s inside the cover and it seems, to me, that the additional holes seem to come down into the same chamber areas as the lower holes. They don’t go past the injector holes - if you can see my logic?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts