Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT ENGINE HORSEPOWER I SHOULD BE GETTING?

S MAX 2.2 TDCI TITANIUM X SPORT 2012

EVERYWERE SAYS 200 AT WHEELS BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ITS PRODUCING BEFORE IT GETS TO WHEELS?

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
You would need to hook it upto an engine dyno to get an accuate reading.

Depends on the wheel/tyre/brake/transmisison/clutch losses.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hate to say it, but according to the Ford brochure - https://www.harrisonsford.co.uk/pdfs/s-max.pdf page 40 - you have 200PS which is 197bhp at the flywheel/engine. Car manufacturers give you the engine figure because it's bigger, so sounds more impressive, than the at the wheels figure.

And as Purple said, the only way to get the true engine power output is to hook it up to an engine dyno as the calculations for drivetrain loss are a bit of an educated guess at best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry guys meant to say at the the wheels, if its 197(200)bhp at the engine then what is it by the time it gets to the wheels ?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Best guess would be around 170hp at the wheels, but putting it on a dyno is the only way you will find out for sure.

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
Your Dyno or my Dyno? Your BHP may vary between one and another and even down

to the operator and the day of the run.

There are tricks it seems, let the car climb onto the rollers can give a visual increase

in power. But its not a true run.

If looking for more power or to compare vehicles you will need to run one after the other

on the same day with the same machine.

Even then you can get small tolerances. Tyres with better grip? Softer sidewalls where the

rolling radius can change and alter gearing slightly?

What puzzles me is how they suddenly gained a ton more torque with the same engine and power output? I forget the figures now. But the torque figures for some MK4's varied quite considerably with the same engine spec.

Just an example (cannot remember the actual figures/dates)

upto Aug/2008 140bhp 2L TDCI 320NM torque,

From Sept/2008 140bhp 2L TDCI 400NM torque, where did the extra 80NM come from, no increase in bhp, no engine changes that i can tell etc?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.