Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Big Megger
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to go for?

I'm dreaming really for the time being but hopefully next year funds will allow me to get a newer shape mondeo.

Just wondering which is the best, performance (obvious really) reliability??

ta :L

·
Big Megger
125 Posts
Hi,

obvious really 2.2 is better than the 2.0, quicker and not really any less economical in day to day driving.
If you're buying used the 2.2 is only available from 2004 model onwards, so will be more expensive..

The earlier 2.0tdci engines did have a few problems - these will be well documented in the diesel forum, though these should all have been sorted out by now.. the newer ones are much more reliable.

I've had every mark of mondeo in all engine sizes from the 1.8 to the 3.0, the 2.2tdci that i'm using at the moment is probably the best i've had... ok so a 220 will beat it to 50, but if you're driving at 50 in 4th and floor it the 2.2tdci will see off a 220 (until you get past legal limits) PLUS my average m.p.g is just short of 47 :L

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
2.2 has more power and torque with little effect on economy and the same tax band.

The 2.2 will cost more to buy £500-£750 usually depending on where you buy from, year and the model you want. The 2.2 is also 3 to 4 groups higher insurance than the 2.0 130 so may cost you quite a bit more on insurance depending on age/job/location/no claims etc.

You have to decide if the extra performance is worth the extra money.

Cheers
Lee

·
Big Megger
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the info lads.

I'm guessing that because the 2.2's were 2005 onwards, that most of the problems have been ironed out??

Is it true you can get a chip to see 180bhp out of the 2.2?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.