Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Help please...........

I'm having problems with boost recently.

Symptoms, just stopped producing as much boost. No bangs or rattles nothing. It is producing some boost all the way through the revs but more between 2800 and 3400. Before and after this range not much boost.

I've been through the entire intake system cleaned all metal pipes and inlet manifold also replaced the rubber pipes with decent silicone ones and put fresh clips on everything. No difference.

So I went through the vacuum lines. All fine, no splits etc. They all held vacuum with a mityvac. Vacuum actuator moves and holds vacuum. Stripped and cleaned vacuum pump and tested that. Nothing wrong there either.

The veins on the turbo all move freely too and no slop in the impeller shaft.

When it's plumbed in as factory with the vacuum it's moving the actuator 10% this is from 70% open to 80% open. If I give it a feed directly from the vacuum pump but still through the solenoid etc it pulls actuator fully closed and no boost then.

I'm getting stuck now as I've gone through all the usual culprits and they are fine. Any help or input will be gratefully received.

Thanks guys and girls.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
EGR valve sticking open? Intercooler split or holed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Egr blanked at egr cooler and a piece of tube where the egr valve used to live. Intercooler seems ok. Nothing visually wrong with it as I checked that when I cleaned the intake system.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Got an F-Super or similar OBD tool to check the boost pressure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah just checked. Running 14 to 18psi

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Does the reader top out at 18PSI? I know my free torque app does. But you can feel

the power still coming in after it tops out.

See this in the WIKI... http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=F_Super

MAP, BARO and Boost Pressure

F Super is very good but the Live Data screen has some problems with the stated units:

MAP has units of kPA but the actual values shown in the F Super window need to be multiplied by 10 to be correct. (e.g. At rest the MAP should just read atmospheric pressure which is about 100 kPa but F Super reads 10 kPa)

Likewise the BARO reading in F Super should normally read about 1000 mb (millibars) but actually displays about 100 mb.

So, if you wanted to know what your Boost Pressure was:

Boost pressure in psi = ((10xMAP) - BARO) / 6.895

e.g. If the MAP is reading 23 in F Super and BARO is reading 100 we can say that the boost pressure is:

230 - 100 = 130 kPa. i.e. 18.85 psi

1 bar = 100 kPa.

1 psi = 6.895 kPa.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
PS... My 2.2 doesnt seem to have the PEP that my 2L did. The 2L seemed

more sprightly. But the 2.2 seems to pull for longer if that makes sense?

The 2L was an LX and the 2.2 a Ghia so maybe a weight issue or a more

even spread of power?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ok thanks. I'll check that out this afternoon then.

It's definitely not getting the boost it should through the range. Seems to pull ok on the flat but nothing there when I put my foot down. Hills are another matter...... it just keeps dropping speed no matter what gear I use. So I'm sure it's not just that it doesn't have the same punch that my old 130 had.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Sounds like you've been pretty thorough!

Don't know layout of your engine but is it possible that egr and turbo controls have been swapped?

I thought max boost was with vanes open, and that was with actuator with maximum vacuum applied. So air leaks in controls fail safe (low boost).

You might try disconnecting the actuator and temporarily fixing the arm at the mid-point to see what effect that has...

Any smoke?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I've tried to be. I have had a couple of tdci's in the past so I know what usually goes on the intake side.

With full vacuum applied to the actuator pulling the arm fully in it's flatter than ever.

I've tried swapping the solenoid over to the egr one thinking that they probably won't have failed at the same time? But that made no difference.

The actuator is sat at 70% at the moment and sometimes moves to 80%. I'll try it fixed at 50% after work and let you know what it does.

It has a little bit of diesel smoke at the top end but nothing excessive and there's no black smoke as I'd expect from an air leak or over fuelling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts