Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Little Megger
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just thought I'd log on and let you know that my Mondeo 2.5T estate is no more.

Last week a few minutes after leaving home, the car cut out. RAC called, and engine is simply whirring with no sounds of compression at all. Towed to a local garage, who re-timed it - yeah verdict is it's dead.

They believe part of the aux belt jammed into the cambelt, made it jump and wrecked the timing.

Car was on 120k miles and was bought used by me in 2019 for £3k, and it had the cambelt replaced as part of that purchase deal.

Its not economical to try to repair it. A used engine would run to £1500 plus finding someone to fit it. No its likely off to the scrap yard.

Not good timing for me, cash is tight right now. Car was otherwise in decent condition as well, no signs of anything major wrong or about to fail.

• Sad
Reactions: twincarbs

·
Little Megger
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got any pics of the car?
Sure see my gumtree ad here:

I was giving it a couple days on gumtree before going down the scrap route.

Sorry its not clean, obviously wasn't expecting this to happen and the car is now located at a garage a couple of miles from where I live.

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
800 Posts
are you sure its beyond economical repair? i know the diesels tend to break valve rockers rather than valve damage nowadays so re-time with a new belt, replace rockers and unless you are VERY unlucky, off you go again. id be tempted to make sure the rockers etc are all in tact before letting it go for relative pennies, as chances are the garage have someone looking for such a car cheap (or more likely still, the staff/mechanics are after one for themselves)

·
Little Megger
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you sure its beyond economical repair? i know the diesels tend to break valve rockers rather than valve damage nowadays so re-time with a new belt, replace rockers and unless you are VERY unlucky, off you go again. id be tempted to make sure the rockers etc are all in tact before letting it go for relative pennies, as chances are the garage have someone looking for such a car cheap (or more likely still, the staff/mechanics are after one for themselves)
Problem I have is the garage said the engine is kaput after losing timing. They have re-timed it and attempted to start it at a cost of £180 and its dead. I can't throw any more money into it to be sure its beyond repair. If I was to find someone locally who can do it, I'd need to get the car transported to them. And all this time Im without a car.

Maybe its repairable, I can't be sure, but I can't afford to throw money at this.

The garage its at haven't proposed keeping it, it will be off to an online scrap collector.

Reactions: turbopete1

·
Registered
2013 Mondeo Titanium X Sport Ecoboost
390 Posts
I suffered a timing belt failure on my last Mondeo (1.8 TDCi).
Had I taken it to a Ford Dealer, they'd simply replace the engine - can't even begin to imagine how much that would cost.
Instead, I rebuilt mine. New Pistons and Valves - and a few other sundry items. Did the camshaft too whilst I was at it.
Lasted me another 3 years

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Unfortunately this is quite a common problem on the 2.5t (mentioned more on the Focus ST boards). The tensioner on the aux belt seizes, wraps the belt round the crank pulley and takes out the timing belt.
The only way of preventing it is replace the tensioner with the aux belt when you do the timing belt, and pray.
Being an interference engine it's almost certainly smashed valves into pistons, possibly chewed up the head a bit along with the bores so either scrapping it or dropping in a used engine would be your only "cheap" option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts