Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2001 Fiesta 1.25 Freestyle with the zetec fog lights.

The fogs seem to have an issue - they dont turn on!

There is power to the switch as the light turns on but no light comes from the front.

Is this likely to be a relay problem? I have checked all the fuses i can find that might relate to the issue and they all seem fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

·
Zetec 2.0
128 Posts
What helps in tracking these faults is working from the wiring diagram. Check the back of the workshop manual - in the exterior lighting section. Some cars don't have a relay for the fogs. Check the diagram and confirm that the light switch illumination is powered by the same circuit as the fogs.
Wiring Checks:
I suggest that you work your way back - pull the plug from a fog light and check for a voltage on the 'live' pin then check for a voltage at the fuse for the fogs, then at the switch etc. Also check the wiring from the plug's gnd pin to the grounding point/s. A bad battery to chassis ground connection would cause a number of electrical problems so it could just be isolated to a single bad chassis grounding point being utilised by one or more devices.

·
Zetec 2.0
128 Posts
The wiring diagrams for both the mk4 & mk5 can be found here.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8204594/Ford-Fiesta-1995-2001-Zetec-Wiring-Diagram-Petrol-and-Diesel

Mk4 - fog circuit (diagram 9)
There's a relay for the front fog lights. The fuse is F29. The switch itself has LEDs that light up when the switch is on. This would indicate that the switch is working. There's an Orange wire that connects the switch with the relay. If this wire becomes live (+12v) at the relay when the switch is turned on, then the problem will likely be with the relay, otherwise suspect a break in this wire or an internal problem with the switch itself.

Mk5 - fog circuit (diagram 7)
Same as mk4 except GEM has a connection to the circuit. The fuse is F32. The GEM module has a connection to the orange wire that connects the switch with the relay. Presumably this allows the GEM to turn on the fogs independently of the switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts