Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I recently bought this Mondeo, first one I've ever had. I am normally driving Volvo's, BM's, but wanted a change and something cheaper. I have to say i am actually pleasantly surprised. It is comfy and roomy.

But where i am stuck is;

1. Struggled with starting in anything from -3 and below. So i get some new glow plugs and changed 3 out of 4. 2nd Cylinder the glow plug is stripped in the cyl head i found out. (god how difficult is that going to be to fix?) Good news though it is not leaking any compression in that cylinder at all.
icon_biggrin.gif

2. Before changing the glow plugs the batter went flat trying to start her up (recharged it and its fine) So with the new glow plugs in and trying to fire her up. I got nothing at all, just cranking over and over. So i cracked the injectors open a little each one one at the time. And this finally got the engine going.

3. So after point 2. I am now somewhat stuck where the car runs really rough when cold in the mornings still (minus temperatures starts great). However, once it warms up a little then the engine runs just fine. There is definitely more smoke now in the mornings as well compared to what it used to be. Any ideas why this is? or what i can do to fix this?

4. Since i got the car, I can also hear quite a loud buzzing noise from the right side just behind the rear door. I am guessing this is the fuel pump. So i will look at getting this changed as well. Guessing if i do this i will change the fuel filter as well. Any times on how to do this the best way? (My firs ever diesel engine car (
icon_redface.gif
)

5. This is just our of curiosity really, The car has a 3000 series radio cassette player in it. Is this really what was in the car originally? As i have notices that the remote next to the steering is not working at all with the radio.

Any and or all help will be much appreciated. I feel sorry for the state of the car and i want to get her all back up to good shape again.

Oh sorry just though of one more thing
icon_smile.gif
The headlights are look really dirty, but no matter what i use to clean them i cannot seem to get them cleared up. Are all MK3 Mondeo headlight the same if i change them? Or can one just change the glass part?

Sorry for all the noob questions
wall.gif

·
mr grumpy
721 Posts
Sounds like you've still got air in the fuel system to me..

Radio is most probably out of a mk2 .

Headlights are all the same on mk3 .

Change the fuel filter and fill it with diesel before fitting...
I add injector cleaner to them...seems to do some good at times .

Headlights can be restored with some g3 and wet & dry...plenty videos on this on you tube :)

·
Super Moderator
30,342 Posts
As above stereo been swapped. headlights are removed by pulling 2 pins

Lift pump is under the car....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi oldhammer and Purple_2L_LX,

Many thanks for the info.. much appreciated :lol:

I will change the fuel filter and try some additive as well. If it has air in the system, any clues on how to best get the air out?

As for the Radio, pfft Maybe I'll just order a Chinese stereo with SatNav and DVD playback as well :D joking i like my cars original.

Brilliant info about the headlights, yeah seen a few video's, I tried quite a few, just not the one with the wet & dry. with that one i got scared ha ha ha

Brilliant pic about the lift pump, the noise i have is coming from exactly that area. Will get that one looked at.

Top help, really appreciate it

Ill update you as i get things done

·
Super Moderator
30,342 Posts
The air will bleed out when the engine is running, the issue is how is it getting

in there?

Ony add additive to the tank and not fill the filter with it. Seen some bad things

after people have done that.

Give the pump a whack with the palm of your hand when it wont start and see if

that kicks it into life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts