Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone.

My Mondeo has begun smoking a bit on hard acceleration. This had started happening some 20k kilometers ago. Shop suggested adding a fuel additive (did not help), then cleaning the injectors (which I did not do as it would have costed far too much). Now, though, I've found people showing half-blocked EGRs and inlet manifolds on the TDCi engines, so I have decided to clean them.

Please note - the car only smokes on hard acceleration and does not feel like it had lost power, nor does it present any hesitation or other issues. There are also no warning lights.

I am following this article: EGR Valve and Inlet Manifold Clearout TDCi - www.FordWiki.co.uk
However, when getting ready to remove the EGR and inlet manifold (which will be a huge pain, due to the space constraints in the engine bay), I have noticed I needed to 'unclip' two electrical lines on the right side of the manifold.

These appear to be plastic clips of some sort, which need to be squeezed from the other side in order not to break them. However, the bottom clip seems to recede into the manifold with no obvious way to reach it from the other side. Needless to say, I am stumped as to how to proceed, as I would not like to cause damage and then have to fish for a replacement part.

I should probably mention I am not going to use a carb cleaner but rather Mr. Muscle as a degreaser. Which makes me wonder whether simply using a screw driver and vacuum cleaner will be enough to reasonably clean the air inlets on the head as well (as I wouldn't want to spray the degreaser in there).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
Inlet manifold is a bit of a pain to clean. Mr muscle and a jet washer will normally be fine. Be careful not to lose the 4 or 8 馃 orange seals that seal the manifold to the engine block.

I've not seen a tdci engine especially these pumps that don't puff out some black smoke when accelerating so I would say what you're experiencing is probably normal... pretty 90% of the smoke can be fixed by blanking the egr valve...

When cleaning the soot from block inlet ports remember to drag the soot out rather than letting it fall into the engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inlet manifold is a bit of a pain to clean. Mr muscle and a jet washer will normally be fine. Be careful not to lose the 4 or 8 馃 orange seals that seal the manifold to the engine block.

I've not seen a tdci engine especially these pumps that don't puff out some black smoke when accelerating so I would say what you're experiencing is probably normal... pretty 90% of the smoke can be fixed by blanking the egr valve...

When cleaning the soot from block inlet ports remember to drag the soot out rather than letting it fall into the engine.
The engine was completely smoke free for about 200k kilometers (first owner). But since the car has been driven mostly around town without any motorways for the past 100k, I was under the impression it was a clogged DPF (until I learnt it had none, lol!).

That's my plan - Mr. Muscle, power washer and scrubbing. And yes, will be using a vacuum cleaner when cleaning the ports. Still nervous about gunk getting into the cylinders but I think I can use a smaller plastic hose to get into them and make sure it's all clean. Also ordered a set of new intake gaskets today, since the car has around 230k on the clock.

I HAD thought about blanking off the EGR, but was unsure about whether it would clear MOT or not. So far, even with the smoking, it passed fine. My Mondeo also has two vacuum solenoids bolted onto the intake, one of which seems to control the EGR, which does not have an electrical connector itself.

Little Megger
What you'll find in the ports is thick black sticky gungy tar! Not something that a vacuum cleaner could handle. You'll need lots of newspapers and plenty of.... Plenty (kitchen paper towel) and some degreaser. Oh, and coupla pairs of nitrile rubber gloves, and an overall so you don't ruin your clothes. As you clean it, bits of the tar will fall to the floor and you might walk it onto the carpets if you don't take enough care. I'd also get some carb cleaner too!

Mondeo Lover
filthy job, but if you blank off the egr valve once youve done the cleaning then its not something you'll need to do again, everything will stay clean. if you dont want to blank the egr afterwards then be prepared to do it once a year to keep on top of it.

my car has been blanked for 5 years and no problems with mot, you say yours is just vacuum operated with no electrical plug, this means you shouldnt get the eml light appear when blanked and as the mot is just a smoke test on a diesel whats coming out of the exhaust will be much cleaner than having the egr operating.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you'll find in the ports is thick black sticky gungy tar! Not something that a vacuum cleaner could handle. You'll need lots of newspapers and plenty of.... Plenty (kitchen paper towel) and some degreaser. Oh, and coupla pairs of nitrile rubber gloves, and an overall so you don't ruin your clothes. As you clean it, bits of the tar will fall to the floor and you might walk it onto the carpets if you don't take enough care. I'd also get some carb cleaner too!
I'm not really sure how you would prevent crud from falling down into the cylinders otherwise, save for turning the engine so the flaps close? I've read people using vacuum cleaners while scraping, not necessarily to suck the gunk up but to at least prevent it from falling where it shouldn't. I'll be sure to wear something I don't mind getting dirty.

filthy job, but if you blank off the egr valve once youve done the cleaning then its not something you'll need to do again, everything will stay clean. if you dont want to blank the egr afterwards then be prepared to do it once a year to keep on top of it.

my car has been blanked for 5 years and no problems with mot, you say yours is just vacuum operated with no electrical plug, this means you shouldnt get the eml light appear when blanked and as the mot is just a smoke test on a diesel whats coming out of the exhaust will be much cleaner than having the egr operating.
I'm still on the fence about that. I'm thinking of simply taking off the vacuum tube from the EGR and blocking the two small ports. I believe that would do it as well as the valve would never actually open? I'm a bit wary, however, as some sites state how exhaust temperatures rise as a result (no EGR cooling?), turbos suffering, etc. Not really sure if that's true, considering the exhaust gasses don't enter the engine when a working EGR valve is closed...

Mondeo Lover
taking the vacuum hose off and blocking the ports is basically blanking the egr, or stopping it from opening (providing it isnt stuck open right now)

theres been mondeos and loads of other vehicles with egrs blanked and deleted for most of their life and well upwards of 200,000 miles, its safe enough to do so i wouldnt worry about.

Little Megger
I don't know what you're expecting to find once you've removed the inlet manifold, but there won't be any 'lumps' per se, it'll all be stuff to scrape off the sides. There's no flaps either. If in doubt, have a few clean rags to stuff in the ports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts