Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help with some first hand experience.
I'm looking at buying a 2006 FORD ESTATE 2.0L PETROL (DURATEC HE)
History suggests thermostat fail on these & I know the one on this particular model his been replaced but what I'm wanting to know did Ford modify the Thermostat to a better quality to prevent the problem reoccurring.
Secondly fuel consumption etc has me a little baffled suggesting 12L/100km urban driving, I've owned 5L V8's that use fuel around town like that.
Could anyone shed some positive light on these issues.

Thanks

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
31,434 Posts
I dont think they are any worse than any other thermostat. Had several 2L petrols and they were on the original
thermostats at 150,000 miles.

12L/100km is that measured over a full tank repeatedly? Around town they are fairly thirsty but not that bad on a run.
Your figures suggest sub 20mpg. 26mpg was my average on shortish journeys. Dropping to 18mpg with really short
winter journeys. Had V8's and on the same journeys your would be lucky to get double mpg figures.

Weighs close to 1.5 tons. Want economy you need a diesel. Even the 2.2L Diesel will do 60mpg on a run.

If you have thermostat issues check the engine coolant temperature using an OBDII reader. Dont trust the
gauges they will show normal with a wide variation in temperature.

Seized rear calipers are common and often the cause for poor fuel consumption.

·
Hiding under a Rock
957 Posts
Didnt they change thermostat to non powered/heated one (or whatever) at facelift?
Prefacelift stat is hella expensive compared to facelift.
Craig (badmonkey here) did a youtube video on replacement.
12L/100km in rush hour traffic, I can believe it - I go to work at 530 and home by 3, so hardly ever get stuck in traffic so I can tell you.
My commute is 3/4 motorway 1/4 suburban streets, I het just over 8L/100km.
Modern V8s are no different than any other modern engines, they are quite efficient, especially so if you are feather foot. When I was driving my old 302 4 barrel on motorway with foot down, I could literally see the fuel gauge moving.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Im doing 16mpg im my 2.5L V6 mondeo, its got a max of 28mpg on the motorway but the 5.4L V8 ford falcon FPV GT-R has the same fuel efficiency as mine, our mondeos are old tech and we just have to accept they pull out two bendy straws to gulp from the tank.

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,193 Posts
having changed the stat on mine it's encased in the thermostat body and the plastic tends to fail rather than the stat
buy original ford as aftermarket ones are apparently terrible
as for economy, i've got a 2.0 petrol estate, auto though, and i get around 18 mpg trundling around town and around the low 30's mpg when on the motorway
although a recent trip to a weighbridge revealed that it weighs 1650kgs with a full tank of fuel :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone 😁👍
I did end up going ahead with the purchase, haven't driven it much but so far very happy with the cruising on the open road.
Just one other thing though, when coming to a stop & putting back into park, makes a very breif unusual noise.
Anyone experienced this or any feedback etc.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts