Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. can someone please clarify for me - I know the above engine has a timing belt BUT does it have the wet belt for the oil pump OR is it chain driven ? I know a guy who works for the AA and his thoughts were that a 2007 tdci would be to old to have the wet belt setup ?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Youtube Alan Howatt. He explains what to look for. Shape of the tensioner pin?

·
Registered
2013 Mondeo Titanium X Sport Ecoboost
350 Posts
I can answer this from personal experience.
Ford switched from chain drive to a wet belt with the launch of the Mk4 Mondeo in 2007, so if your car has the 1.8 TDCi then you have a wet belt.
Bought my previous car (1.8 TDCi Sport Estate) with a full service history, which, given the mileage, would have included a cam belt change, however, it would appear that many independent garages out there are unaware of this change and assume the lower belt is a chain drive and so, as was obvious with mine, only service the upper belt.

I suffered a wet belt failure (the teeth strip off rather than the belt snapping) at speed on a dual carriageway.

As this is an interferance engine, Pistons meet valves and so the remedy is either to rebuild the engine with new valves and pistons, or to replace the whole engine.

I rebuilt mine and it served me well for the next few years.

My suggestion is that, if you don't know if or when the wet belt was last changed, get it done. It will be far cheaper than dealing with a failed belt.

·
Registered
2013 Mondeo Titanium X Sport Ecoboost
350 Posts
May I ask what millage that your wet belt failed on ?

Thanks
Around 155,000 miles.
Ford specify that it should be changed at 125,000 miles, and, going by the condition of the upper belt, it looks like that one may well have been changed at the right time. Just a shame they didn't bother witht the lower one.

Difficult to know whats been done at a service as all there is in the service book is a dealer stamp and a date

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Unless you have owned the car from fairly new you need to be careful on trusting the mileage as an estimate of
the belts lifespan.

My sister will sit talking for an hour with the engine running and spends half her life in the McDonalds queue also
with the engine running. Her belt will have done more work in 50,000 miles than someone belting up and down
the motoway for 100,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts