Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've seen this matter discussed on and off on other topics here as well as several other forums, but I have yet to see a solution or a culprit in this situation.
Vehicle is a 2007 Ford Galaxy 1.8TDCI with 215000km (came into my posession with 203000, issue was already present)

Problem: Car randomly stutters when accelerating. Happens at completely random times, can drive for days with no issue, then it comes up out of nowhere.
Noticeable when using about 25% throttle, between 1250 and 2000 RPM. Accelerating harder will have the car push through cleanly.

Things that have been tested or swapped:
-EGR valve cleaned
-Injectors cleaned
-Using premium fuel
-MAF sensor replaced
-Oil and all filters have been replaced multiple times
-Fuel filter has been replaced
-Intake tubings have been tested for leaks
-Turbo has been replaced
-Accelerator pedal sensor has been replaced

There are no errors or lights

I should note that if i try to force the situation (for example, going uphill, 25% throttle, RPM range as mentioned above), if the problem comes up and I continue to slowly accelerate through the stuttering, the ESP tends to just give up and the ESP light comes on. Light will not go off again without restarting the car.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
If the engine light came on you should have some codes, although they may get deleted after
some engine restarts.

Cleaned the injectors but have you tried a leakoff test on them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the engine light came on you should have some codes, although they may get deleted after
some engine restarts.

Cleaned the injectors but have you tried a leakoff test on them?
The light that comes on is just for the traction control rather than engine light. Did not occur to me to check for errors with the scanner while the light is on, will try to force the situation and see if something comes up. The injectors were cleaned and tested at a Bosch facility, so i can only assume they are fine

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
If the traction control is playing up then it could be sensing an imbalance in the wheel speeds and
pulling the throttle back.

Some live data would help in tracking it down, have a passenger monitor the wheel speeds or record
the data.

Intermittent faults can be a pain and not knowing what caused the issue in the first instance makes it
a little harder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Intermittent faults can be a pain and not knowing what caused the issue in the first instance makes it
a little harder.
Tell me about it... had the car for a year now, still trying to fix this issue.
Went out for a drive, couldnt replicate the issue this afternoon (maybe its a morning thing). Will be driving with my scanner connected for a few days, see if i can catch it in the act.
In the meantime, going to record a few drives, see if when this does happen again there is some imbalance with wheel speed as well.
Will post an update once I'm able to get some info

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,263 Posts
Certainly sounds like an esp problem like purple mentions with wheel speed sensors. Hopefully an error will be stored and point you more directly at which wheel sensor is the problem.

Using forscan you can watch the individual wheel speeds by selecting the abs module

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Certainly sounds like an esp problem like purple mentions with wheel speed sensors. Hopefully an error will be stored and point you more directly at which wheel sensor is the problem.

Using forscan you can watch the individual wheel speeds by selecting the abs module
Havent tried forscan yet, will install and try it tomorrow.
It is quite hard to replicate, tends to have a mind of its own as I mentioned. Got a fairly decent road trip to do this weekend, guess I'll have the scanner with me for it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after a few days of trying to replicate the issue once again, it came up.
Checked for errors with the OBD and actually got 2 errors, rather than just 1 that I was expecting:

- P0489 and U0401(68)

Can't say if they're related or not, but seems that U0401(68) is what causes the ESP to fail, although I'm not sure if its the cause of the stutter as well. That said, not sure where to even begin to check for this. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
EGR Valve and Speed sensor.

You need to monitor the speed signal and see if there are any spikes. You should be able to read the ABS signal from each
wheel and see if they all match. You may find one of them has spikes or dips and not as smooth as the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts